I finally bought the....
Jun 29, 2007 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ZackP

500+ Head-Fier
Etymotic ER-4P, after reading, I decided that their ability to be converted to S, along with their great rep makess them great IEM's. But, coming from JVC Marshmallows, will these have way greater quanity, and way better quality bass, and lively highs?

Jun 29, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #2 of 7
Both the ER-4P or S aren't known for bass quantity. In fact, that's the chief complaint of most of the people who've owned them and moved on. I found the bass to be on the lean side. They do have fantastic highs and are known for being accurate sounding and very detailed.

Jun 29, 2007 at 6:50 AM Post #3 of 7
Tried my new P>S converter cable yesterday and all I can say is that I'm amazed by the difference. At first I didn't think there was any difference at all but when I started to listen more carefully and got used to the new sound and then switched back to listen without the converter the P sounded almost muddy in comparison. Saying that, I have never had that kind of complaint of my er4p. The main difference is the added clarity and transparency of structures within a tone, such as the raspiness of a voice.

Regarding bass the er4p/s is on the lean side but with proper fit I think it actually feels quite realistic (though I'm starting to realize that I prefer a more lean sound to a bassy, compared to others)

Edit: Congrats on the purchase of a terrific IEM by the way!

Jun 29, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 7
I don't have a first hand response in regard to the ER4P/S, but I do own the JVCs and they are considered (around here) to be quite bass heavy. Since the above posts have noted that the ER4P/S' are lacking in the lower frequencies - then they will most likely be very anemic in comparison to the bassy bloated JVCs.

Jun 29, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #6 of 7
I've owned EtyER4P/S for a couple years now, but just bought Marshmellows a couple days ago for the gym. If you're looking for bass quantity, you picked the wrong iems. If you're looking for overall quality, you did very well.

Jun 29, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #7 of 7
I was looking for quality, and thank you guys, this is news I was wondering. If they have less bass then the marshmallows, that will be good. Because the low end overpowered the other side of the spectrum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back