I can't tell the difference in IC's
Sep 9, 2004 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

proglife

500+ Head-Fier
So I have these LAT IC-200 Mark II IC's that Tom Hankins gave me. These are $250/meter interconnects. Recently, I picked up a few pairs of the Stereophile recommended cheapo AR interconnects off of Audiogon at around 15 bucks a piece. I have had no need for new IC's anywhere, but being incredibly bored the other night, I decided to A/B the LAT's and AR's.

I absolutely couldn't tell the difference (even with the un-burned in AR's). Believe me, I tried. It might sound strange, but I sort of wanted to notice the difference. I find some form of comfort in the infinite upgradibility of my stereo, but in the case of IC's (at least between these two) I could not tell the difference at all.

Is this possibly a case of "same cables packaged and labeled differently"? Am I alone in the lonely and value-stricken world of not hearing the difference in interconnects?

Sep 9, 2004 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by proglife
Am I alone in the lonely and value-stricken world of not hearing the difference in interconnects?

No your not
biggrin.gif
I think I can pick up some differences between ICs and these are very subtle to me but I'd most likely fail if you'd subject me to some sort of IC blind test.

Sep 9, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 14
Be happy. You just saved yourself a ton of money, at least in the short term.
biggrin.gif
And, as JohnnyCougar points out, upgrades in your rig hold the promise of future extravagance.

BW

Sep 9, 2004 at 5:55 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Am I alone in the lonely and value-stricken world of not hearing the difference in interconnects?

No.

Notice the "DBT-free" in the title of this forum. DBT stands for double-blind test, a technique where the subject as well as the experimenter is ignorant to the conditions of the study. This sort of rigorous testing condition is deemed necessary when the study's outcome can be subtly influenced by knowledge of the conditions. Interconnects' effects on sound are notoriously controversial. As I understand it, the ban on DBT in this particular forum is intended to reduce the repetitive chatter about whether someone's perception of a cable's sonic effects is real.

You are not alone in your failure to experience differences in IC sound.

Sep 10, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #13 of 14
Think on the bright side: at least you're not one of those people who upgrade ICs constantly thinking that they hear differences, though in actuality they don't.

Sep 10, 2004 at 11:15 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

I absolutely couldn't tell the difference

As the others said, consider yourself lucky
rolleyes.gif

I consider myself to be still in the sane waters regarding ICs, and I have a theory whereby ICs will only have noticable effect if the rest of the chain is up par. It won't help much to throw killer-ICs into your mediocre setup if you had decent ICs before. I noticed this when I upgraded my speaker amp. The ICs I got with it were about twice the price of my old ICs, which probably were overkill in the old rig. Nevertheless, the difference was minor. I should do another comparison now the new ones had plenty of time to burn in.

Anyway, the better the IC, the less you should notice it being there at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back