I am trying to decide between the Denon D7000 and the Audio Technica ATH W5000 (considering Sennheiser HD 598)
Feb 16, 2017 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rajeevrn

100+ Head-Fier
I know there have been at least two other threads on this. But my concern is more specific. It's about the bass. I found the Sennheiser HD 598 out of a Peachtree amp, out of my Matrix Mstage amp etc. and I found it bass shy, though it was less bass shy put of the Matrix Mstage amp. I am gravitating towards the W5000 but I am thinking about the bass. Please help me out here. I dont expect it to be as bassy as hd 650 but can it come close to giving good bass(better than HD 598 at least)?

Feb 16, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #2 of 3
Get the ATH-W1000X or ATH-W1000Z and put some HM5 regular (not angled) ear pads (pleather, velour, hybrid, or lambskin is fine) on it. I had ATH-W5000 and had to do a Fitz mod to turn it into a ATH-F5000 and take the bass back. Nice after modding it, but the W5000 ear cups were too large and really stretched ear pads to their limit. With this in mind, take absolute time to stretch every half-inch of the ear pad lining before rolling it over, so that you prevent tearing. It will take forever, but the comfort and fit is worth it. The ATH-W1000X wing supports are flat and provide a slightly better clamp.

Feb 16, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #3 of 3
Get the ATH-W1000X or ATH-W1000Z and put some HM5 regular (not angled) ear pads (pleather, velour, hybrid, or lambskin is fine) on it. I had ATH-W5000 and had to do a Fitz mod to turn it into a ATH-F5000 and take the bass back. Nice after modding it, but the W5000 ear cups were too large and really stretched ear pads to their limit. With this in mind, take absolute time to stretch every half-inch of the ear pad lining before rolling it over, so that you prevent tearing. It will take forever, but the comfort and fit is worth it. The ATH-W1000X wing supports are flat and provide a slightly better clamp.

Thanks for the info. I wish I could do that. But there are limited options here in India.  Also, I will hopefully not be modding the headphones in any way.  The only options I have currently are the Denon D7000 and the ATH W5000. The Denons are available at half the price. Again I would like to know if there is anyone who has heard the HD 598 also before the W5000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back