I am picking up a TC-7510 MK6 after work,
Aug 10, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #16 of 29
Herandu, thanks for your detailed comparison (or not, I was perfectly satisfied with the internal DAC in my Denon 2105 but now I'm leaning more and more towards the 7510)!

I've read quite a few threads on the 7510, but haven't found that much written about the integrated headphone amplifier. How do you think it performs? I have just gone from E-MU 1212m -> Gilmore v2 to using the DAC + HP amp in my Denon (recently sold both my E-MU 1212m and the V2 since I've got a real nice speaker setup and spend less and less time with my DT-880s), and haven't noticed very much of a difference (which might make me have to reconsider my need for Hi-Fi equipment at all - the only drastic improvements I've heard come from changes in headphones or speakers). I'm assuming the DAC will be quite a bit better than the Denon's, but do you think the Beresford's HP amp will be a step up from the Denon's HP amp? Does it compare to a dedicated HP amp? If so, which (or, "which price level")?

Aug 10, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #17 of 29
The headphone amp on the TC-7510 is the only one I have listened to that can comfortably drive just about any headphones I plugged in it. The MK6 version is sweeter and the bass goes lower on my HD650. I can drive myself deaf when using my Denon HP1000 (if you love Denon, you must of heard of those and how good they are.). It isn't the warmest of headphone amp I have heard, but I don't know of any stand alone headphone amp that is cheaper than the TC-7510 that can perform better. As a matter of fact, I would say that this headphone amp could probably make a name for itself if it was sold at the same price as the complete DAC.

Aug 10, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, so I spent a few two hours comparing my MK3 against the MK6. I don’t have a MK5 to compare so I can’t say how close the MK5 is to the MK6.
I went straight for the three areas in the sound of my MK3 that were not quite to my satisfaction, whilst listening out for any new ones that the MK6 might have introduced that aren’t an issue in the MK3. So here they are.
-1. Nasal sound on some voice renditions.
Test record used: Barry White – Just the way you are.
Barry White has a wide vocal range that extends across two drive units in a 3way speaker. His voice helps in identifying a number of possible system imbalances and reproduction accuracy.
The MK3 sounds dry and sharp with his voice in the 1KHz to 3KHz range, giving a nasal type singing experience. It shares this issue with another more expensive DAC that it is frequently compared against.
The MK6 produces a far more natural male vocal expression that is less edgy and has a greater warmth of embrace.
-2. Hair raising experience.
Test records used: M People – Search for the hero inside of you / Michael Jackson – One day in your life.
These two tunes have a certain glow to them that causes a tingling of the skin and your hairs to rise when the audio system is able to convey the emotion behind those tunes with great soundstage and ambience.
The sharpness of the MK3 seems to hold back some of that emotion, thereby holding back some of the vital ingredient that has made those tunes classic cuts.
The MK6 is emotionally charged on the other hand. The expression” fighting back the tears” aren’t out of place.
-3. Bass depth, especially during a busy track when power supply performance is critical.
Main test record used: Robert Miles – Children (plus a heavy metal one of which I forgot the name of the artist to make notes.)
This tune has a bass sequence where the bass is felt before it is heard. That means that it is starting off at a lower frequency before sliding up the frequency scale.
The MK3 gives only a mild hint of the impending rise in the bass, which indicates a higher bass cut off point in the analogue stage of the MK3..
The MK6 was a second or more earlier in the feel of the bass before it became audible to me. That would indicate that it has a wider and deeper bass range than the MK3.
-On instruments such as guitar strings and piano keys the MK6 managed to resolve the after ripples for longer as they became fainter. The MK3 sounded sharper (due to less resolution?), and didn’t last as long.

Other things I picked up, and that had not attracted my attention previously were:
-Signal separation. On the MK6 there was more space between the instrument players, whilst on the MK3 you have to politely push your way through the crowd so the speak.
-The MK6 felt also far better than the MK3 at home with the Maplin 5A power supply I use.
-When used as a pre-amp driving any of my power amps direct the MK6 out performed all of my dedicated pre-amps/MK3 combination. There was far more information that I could pick up from it used that way.

I only just fitted blue LEDs to my MK3, so like I shall have to fit them to the MK6 as well. I might do that tonight just for fun if I can get to Maplin this lunch time.

Nice first impressions, Herandu. However, I must ask, how were these tests performed? Was this right out of the headphone jack? Or through an amp?

Aug 10, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

-3. Bass depth, especially during a busy track when power supply performance is critical.

I'm not sure about this. The Beresford isn't a power amp, it's processing numbers, and I'm not sure that the numbers characterising a bass signal tax the PSU more than other numbers. With bass there are larger voltage swings in the analogue output stage, but it is not delivering power, it is just seeing a high impedance.

I have my asbestos suit at the ready.

Aug 10, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

-When used as a pre-amp driving any of my power amps direct the MK6 out performed all of my dedicated pre-amps/MK3 combination. There was far more information that I could pick up from it used that way.

Any inside picture plz?
wink.gif

Aug 10, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice first impressions, Herandu. However, I must ask, how were these tests performed? Was this right out of the headphone jack? Or through an amp?

Through several preamps and power amps and I used cans to double check, but the test was aimed at testing through speakers. My interest was in picking out if the MK6 had been improved as far as the analogue output was concerned. To do that I had to use volume levels that would have deafened me if I had used headphones at that level for such extended period of time.

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by DennyL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure about this. The Beresford isn't a power amp, it's processing numbers, and I'm not sure that the numbers characterising a bass signal tax the PSU more than other numbers. With bass there are larger voltage swings in the analogue output stage, but it is not delivering power, it is just seeing a high impedance.

I have my asbestos suit at the ready.

The old TC-7510 seemed to be running out of steam during complex musical passages with its own power supply. The bass improves when you used a car battery or any suitable 13 to 14V regulated power supply.
I did that test in order to see how the two compared, not to figure out power amp or noughts and crosses theory.

Aug 10, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #25 of 29
It looks like the component names aren't covered on the MK6. You probably closed the unit already but... mind listing the names of the chips or taking a few close-up shots for us to see?
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #27 of 29
Herandu, what is the difference between the REC and AMP outputs on the Beresford? Is one better than the other for driving speakers or external headamps?

Aug 11, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #28 of 29
The REC and AMP outputs are the same. The MK6 hasn't got those any more though. It has LINE (fixed) and AMP (variable). I use the LINE output to my pioneer preamp, and the fixed output to one of my power amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back