I am in deep trouble thanks to Dr. Lloyd!
Sep 24, 2006 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 111

mrarroyo

Headphoneus Supremus
Many of you are aware that my two most prized possessions (headphone related) are my Grado RS-1 and my Mapletree Ear Purist + HD100. Well the good doctor has dropped a bomb (can I say bomb nowadays?
confused.gif
) In his website I saw:

Code:

Code:
[left]The 150th unit in the Ear+ line of headphone amps has been reached. I will be reserving the serial no. for a special limited edition, details to be announced (look for a design that includes an electrolytic capacitor free signal path and a new output tube).[/left]

I have already sent him an email, this is going to be a good Christmas!
biggrin.gif
Of course it may mean I will have to sell something cause it is crazy to have 5 home amps. Decisions, decisions, more decisions.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #2 of 111
I REALLY Wish I picked up his Cadbury portable tube amp long ago, why oh why didn't i get it?

Sep 24, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 111
Jesus Miguel, you'll soon be like me with amps coming out of your ears... it's an "illness" mate, get help before your house subsides due to the weight of all those amps.

Sep 24, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Jesus Miguel, you'll soon be like me with amps coming out of your ears... it's an "illness" mate, get help before your house subsides due to the weight of all those amps.

I am looking for a bigger house, I just gave up on controling myself.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 25, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 111
Shall the bidding begin?
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 25, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #8 of 111
I have always liked the Ear+ and I dont know why I just dont buy one. I suppose its because I have so many tube amps already.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I Emailed Mapletree and here is the response I got back ....

Thank you for your interest. I am looking at the ECC99 with both triodes connected in parallel. Otherwise no fundamental change in the circuit topology as it is already optimal for headphone amplification. The input tube will be a 5751 as I believe it is the best miniature tube for high gain applications. There will be no electrolytics in the signal path.

Lloyd

For those of you who arent familiar with the ECC99 ... the ECC99 is a new production tube from JJ Tesla. This tube is a high power dual triode that essentially was designed to replace the 5687. I have been experimenting with the ECC99 in one of my Singlepower amps and its a good tube. I dont think the ECC99 equals the better nos 5687's when used in my SP amps. But in a circuit designed specifically to use the ECC99 tube the results could possibly be VERY good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #12 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile
Pete Millett likes the ECC99 plenty as well.

that's awesome that there are amps being built around new tubes, just the very idea is encouraging. could we possibly hear something even the tubeheads in the "Golden Era" never got to hear? K1000s with the new Millet amp and Grados with the Mapletree, yum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back