I am considering the Audeze Mobius as a general replacement for my AKG q701
Jun 13, 2020 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JonIrenicus

New Head-Fier
https://www.amazon.com/AKG-Signature-Reference-Class-Premium-Headphones/dp/B004444O3W

I've had those for years, the earpads wore out and I had to order an overpriced replacement pair from ebay as that was all that sold them.

They still work, but I got those so long ago I figure there MUST be something better out now.

So I come back to you, a collection of obsessed headphone people, who have spent years, DECADES, THOUSANDS of dollars on one piece of audio equipment after enough. I seek to tap into your infinite knowledge of the current state of the audio world so spare myself the same black hole of wasted funds.

I am willing to spend up to 500 dollars on something. If headphones plus a mic add on is superior that is fine too, but the reason I Was looking at the Mobius is that I wanted to see if they delivered on the promise of better positional audio via headphones on top of sounding decent for general music. I was looking forward to Ossic X, but that was a bust, and these seem like the only game in town trying to crack positional audio in a more advanced way. But maybe I am wrong and there are more entrants, I don't know!

Has someone tried the AKG 701 and the mobius and thinks It's a downgrade in general sound quality? Think me trying to get surround sound via headphones for games and movies is not worth the prize? Think I should divert resources to some much better alternative headphones? Or think it's my best bet? I targeted them over the hyperx orbit because those are said to have a more V shaped sound with recessed mids. I like mids, I like hearing vocals and people speak, why would I want that depressed? I want it all there in good order, and I'm not a basshead that needs my skull to shake, so long as it's not a tin can, I'm fine.

Oct 17, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #2 of 3
Biggest difference is the mobius doesn't have Soundstage compared to the Q701. They are 2 very different headphones. Rting has both on their website and you can compare graphs there. I think the mobius could compliment the Q701 but won't be an upgrade. A side grade if you will. The q701 would be improved with a inline mic and a convertion piece from mini xlr to 3.5mm female then add a vmoda boom pro cable mic. The q701 has better Soundstage and imaging for gaming. Instead of buying a new q701 just by q701 replacement pads. They make lots of 3rd party pads it's a lot cheaper too than buying a replacement headphone.

Oct 23, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 3
I've had the cloud orbit s and regular versions. For $100 from an ebay liquidator they're not bad and the preprogrammed eq profiles like flat and default are pretty good. Soundstage was nice but the sound is really processed sounding. Also the amp built in won't get very loud, which was pretty annoying.
For $500 I'd get a Beyerdynamic MMX300 headset and Sound blaster G6 which in low gain direct mode sound really nice. On Creative labs web site they have a refurbished page with great deals, and the mic noise cancelling part of the software is pretty handy. On ebay you can get an mmx300 sometimes really cheap, Mercari too.
I didn't try the Mobius yet, The under $150 the cloud orbit is a good value and crazy comfortable. The head tracking is a useless gimmick though, the regular cloud orbit is just as good as the S version. The memory foam in the pads really seals outside noise, and feels like suction cups taking them off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back