I AM AN OWL!!!
Jul 20, 2005 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

eyeteeth

Headphoneus Supremus
How could I have known that as I watched a doc about owls on the Discovery channel last night, which of course focused on their extraordinary night vision with those massive pupils, that today I would be afflicted with the same condition!

Or please bring your sunglasses with you to any eye appointment where the administration of pupil dilating drops may occur!

Again, how could I have known? I've never been to an eye appointment before, but a look into the mirror during the 10 minute wait for the drops to take affect alarmed me as I looked like a close-up of those owls filmed in night vision with pupils as wide as chasms...although I do remember a few experimentations during the late 70's.

After further testing the moment of truth came, 1:00pm a cloudless sky and I headed for the exit; stepped out and was literally staggered, blinded, face clenched like a fist (Dylan Thomas), head bowed, eyes closed and watering, hands out in front of me. I adjusted and with one eye closed and the other a blubbering slit, I headed for the shelter of the subway not far away. I endured the quizzical looks of fellow passengers as I involuntarily scowled and silently cursed the fluorescent lighting. I went through the ordeal again upon re-emergence from the relative shelter but made it home.

So just a heads up, Head-Fiers be sure to bring sunglasses to any eye appointments you may have.

Right now the refresh rate of this computer monitor is blindingly apparent!
blink.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08
You know, many eye doctors will give you a cheapie cardboard and plastic set, or a plastic insert for your regular glasses.

If I weren't Canadian I'd be getting all litigious. Just kidding. Actually I wasn't too bummed by it. I never lost sight of the humerous angle and I intended it to be in my account.
I've never worn glasses...but I do have a shiny new prescription!
icon10.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
I hate having my eyes dilated. They should have a normalizing drop to put in afterwards!

They did actually, but to no apparent affect. It might have been a placebo and once I was through the door headed to the elevator, they rushed to the window busting with laugher?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Ouch! This has happened to me, but only once.
cool.gif

Some day soon there must be something I endure that you haven't.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I know what will be.
eek.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 12
It sounds like it wasn't too awful on you.
biggrin.gif

One question though, when you went outside, did you hear a calliope crash to the ground?

Jul 20, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

biggrin.gif

One question though, when you went outside, did you hear a calliope crash to the ground?

ROFLMAO
Great one liner there PSmith08.!!!

So, eyeteeth the owl is going to be spectacled in the near future?????????
Get the lightest weight ones you can there buddy. And, being new to the spectacle scene, get a tough pair that will stand up to accidents. Either spring loaded temples or that memory metal, or both. Nothing worse than getting them all fitted properly, then bending the heck out of them and trying to get them to fit nicely again.

Jul 21, 2005 at 11:29 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I feel really stupid, but I do not get the joke
redface.gif

I am seeing my own eye doctor soon. He is a damn good eye doctor, but is totally insane. He own's a fully tricked out Audi and Mini Cooper S (with racing stripes). He gets FREE mods/tweaks from Mini and Audi, because he loans his cars for use in auto shows. He races his cars as well. His tendency to trick-out his equipment extends to his job as well. Everytime I go and visit him (once a year) his eye examination 'rig' has some new gismo that he loves. One such gismo is a monolithic computer that can digitally photograph the inside of your eye, and then display it in a Photoshop-like program on a television-screen, where he procedes to explain to me what every single vein is doing in my eye (usually moving blood). One advantage of this is he can see inside my eye WITHOUT DILATION! It is really weird to see your retina in photoshop however. He archives the pictures, and for his amusement he likes to show me the pictures of the retinas of customers with severe problems. He once pulled up a picture of a chestburster from "Alien" and said it was my eye. Its nice to know my eyes are in someones computer.
tongue.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 12:15 PM Post #10 of 12
I never had too terrible of a reaction to pupil dilation. It was bright, yes, but nothing I couldn't get by with rapid blinking. Driving, however, is a bit of a challenge...

As to the normalizing drops, they often don't give them because it can cause an allergic reaction. Or so I was told. Never bothered me, but my dad had a nasty reaction to it once. Got all twitchy and sweaty.

eyeteeth, welcome to the club. I'm getting contacts soon, so I'll be leaving, but you can take up the torch
biggrin.gif
I agree with Mr. PD, get the best you can. I've had my current pair for about 5 years, which is much more than most of my friends. I think the frames were about $250, which isn't too terrible. They can bend every which way and not break, and they've got spring arms. Oh yeah, make sure and get an anti-scratch coating on your lenses. Helps tremendously. There's a ton of coatings you can get, actually. They just keep layering 'em on. There's one for computer glare, which isn't bad either.

Jul 21, 2005 at 3:51 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Czilla9000
I feel really stupid, but I do not get the joke
redface.gif

In Bruce Springsteen's "Blinded by the Light" (It was made famous by the Manfred Mann Earth Band), one of the lines is "and the calliope crashed to the ground." The song is full of allusive and oblique lyrics and references, but the calliope appears many times.

Jul 21, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

biggrin.gif

icon10.gif
It was an adventure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
So, eyeteeth the owl is going to be spectacled in the near future?????????

Yeah. I was kind of proud to have made it this far without getting fat, bald, in need of any medication or glasses. I was disappointed when it became apparent that distances were no longer as crisp. Oh well, glasses are the least intrusive change.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Czilla9000
Everytime I go and visit him (once a year) his eye examination 'rig' has some new gismo that he loves. One such gismo is a monolithic computer that can digitally photograph the inside of your eye, and then display it in a Photoshop-like program on a television-screen, where he procedes to explain to me what every single vein is doing in my eye (usually moving blood). One advantage of this is he can see inside my eye WITHOUT DILATION!

Sounds like fun. It's always great dealing with someone who likes their job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
I never had too terrible of a reaction to pupil dilation. It was bright, yes, but nothing I couldn't get by with rapid blinking.

It was the bright white newly paved sidewalk that was a killer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
Get the lightest weight ones you can there buddy. And, being new to the spectacle scene, get a tough pair that will stand up to accidents. Either spring loaded temples or that memory metal, or both. Nothing worse than getting them all fitted properly, then bending the heck out of them and trying to get them to fit nicely again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
eyeteeth, welcome to the club. I'm getting contacts soon, so I'll be leaving, but you can take up the torch
biggrin.gif
I agree with Mr. PD, get the best you can. I've had my current pair for about 5 years, which is much more than most of my friends. I think the frames were about $250, which isn't too terrible. They can bend every which way and not break, and they've got spring arms. Oh yeah, make sure and get an anti-scratch coating on your lenses. Helps tremendously. There's a ton of coatings you can get, actually. They just keep layering 'em on. There's one for computer glare, which isn't bad either.

Thanks for the tips. I did try on a few pairs and found frameless to be the least jarring in appearance. I'll have my girlfriend with me for a second opinion when shopping. She's the one stuck with having to look at me.

JERRY: (To George) Who picked these out?

GEORGE: I did!

JERRY: They're ladies' glasses! You know all you need is that little chain around your neck so you can wear 'em while you're playing Canasta.

KRAMER: (George's eating chips) May I have one of those, madam?

GEORGE: Madam? What are you calling me madam for?

KRAMER: They're ladies' glasses.

(Kramer takes George's glasses and shows him the inside)

KRAMER: Now look here, see it's right here: Gloria Vanderbilt Collection.

GEORGE: He sold me ladies' glasses!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back