Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 5, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #18,482 of 18,991
My setup is stereo, not headphones.
I read somewhere that the analog stage of the TT2 is better, so I thought that with the HMS, DAVE‘s DSP advantage is minimised or zeroed out completely.
I use it for both, I can only say that the tt2+mscaler, is so incredible good, I never ever in my life made a decision so easily wanting to buy those. The only time I had that before was my full sized ESL martin logans speakers.

I really tried to not like those, because the combi is not cheap… knowing that the new mscaler comes out nxt year (which is going to be even more expensive)

I got a good deal at the shop, for both.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #18,483 of 18,991
Hi all.

I’ve recently purchased the tt2 and have been running it from an Innuos zen mk3 via usb. I’ve just ordered the Src dx along with the bnc/coax adapters from Audiowise. I intend to use this set up for HQPlayer and to bypass the tt2 usb.

Would anyone recommend still using some additional rf regulators/ferrite cables as I’m using the zen/src dx and no coaxial cables?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 5, 2024 at 6:03 AM Post #18,484 of 18,991
My setup is stereo, not headphones.
I read somewhere that the analog stage of the TT2 is better, so I thought that with the HMS, DAVE‘s DSP advantage is minimised or zeroed out completely.
Imo its the opposite.. if not needing the bigger current delivery for headphones direct but a high impedance line input of an amp.. the advantage of TT2 in this regard wont show as much.

TT2 does benefit from not having its signal ground bound to earth for better RF isolation.

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:09 AM Post #18,485 of 18,991
Hi all.

I’ve recently purchased the tt2 and have been running it from an Innuos zen mk3 via usb. I’ve just ordered the Src dx along with the bnc/coax adapters from Audiowise. I intend to use this set up for HQPlayer and to bypass the tt2 usb.

Would anyone recommend still using some additional rf regulators/ferrite cables as I’m using the zen/src dx and no coaxial cables?

Thanks in advance.
I’ve been down that rabbit hole with the HQPlayer.
Do yourself a favour and go straight to the M Scaler, you’d save yourself all the tinkering with HQPlayer settings and enjoy the music.
HQPlayer at first gave me a wow factor by expanding the soundstage and bringing out more instrument separation.
But only after trying the M Scaler, I realised that I have been listening to a hollow, synthetic, non-organic garbage for 2 years.

Jan 5, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #18,487 of 18,991
Do yourself a favour and go straight to the M Scaler, you’d save yourself all the tinkering with HQPlayer settings and enjoy the music.
HQPlayer at first gave me a wow factor by expanding the soundstage and bringing out more instrument separation.
But only after trying the M Scaler, I realised that I have been listening to a hollow, synthetic, non-organic garbage for 2 years.
Thanks for your input. That’s pretty emphatic! Problem is I’m not in a position to upgrade to mscaler yet. I’ve spent a lot in the last year getting to where I am now. 👍🏻

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #18,489 of 18,991
has anyone compared HMS/DAVE combo with HMS/TT2?
Is this a day and night difference?
I currently have HMS/DAVE, but thinking to simplify my system by going full battery on HMS and TT2.
If there is not much upside with HMS/DAVE, that would save me quite a bit of money and make the whole setup more manageable.
To make DAVE sound great, I had to invest in expensive PC and power conditioner.
With batteries, these will go away.
I've both setups with MS and yes with Dave it's better in general but on TT2 I feel never the urge to think damn I miss the Dave, like there's so much to respect with TT2 that it is satisfying well enough to stop bothering about the differences.
On occasion I listen to mojo1, mojo2, and then that's OK too, different again but lovable still, more than RME adi2 dac FS.

Dave HP out (no mod) starts to suffer when playing planar-magnetics loud, I'd suggest HPamp.
The Focal Stellia is less power demanding and very fine on Dave playing loud.
As expected TT2 does a better HP section for more (reasonable) demanding HP's.

I lost interest in HQ player. It is soo promising and a super cute toolbox but... it is veeery easy and fast to fekkup your parameters and sooo difficult to find a resting point named "I am there, now I'm set". Going back to bit-perfect once in a while to compare .... and you're off again fiddling the million HQP parameters.. sigh.... endless not-quite-perfect. Sometimes I think of bit-perfect as black'n'white photography, don't add colours because anything you win there's a flip side of loosing character.

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #18,490 of 18,991
I've both setups with MS and yes with Dave it's better in general but on TT2 I feel never the urge to think damn I miss the Dave, like there's so much to respect with TT2 that it is satisfying well enough to stop bothering about the differences.
On occasion I listen to mojo1, mojo2, and then that's OK too, different again but lovable still, more than RME adi2 dac FS.

Dave HP out (no mod) starts to suffer when playing planar-magnetics loud, I'd suggest HPamp.
The Focal Stellia is less power demanding and very fine on Dave playing loud.
As expected TT2 does a better HP section for more (reasonable) demanding HP's.

I lost interest in HQ player. It is soo promising and a super cute toolbox but... it is veeery easy and fast to fekkup your parameters and sooo difficult to find a resting point named "I am there, now I'm set". Going back to bit-perfect once in a while to compare .... and you're off again fiddling the million HQP parameters.. sigh.... endless not-quite-perfect. Sometimes I think of bit-perfect as black'n'white photography, don't add colours because anything you win there's a flip side of loosing character.
This is good to know, I could save some money by selling DAVE, PC and conditioner, just in time for the DAVE 2.0 :)

100 percent agreed on the HQPlayer.
Tinkering with endless options aside (which as you pointed out could be mind boggling), for me it comes down to simple equations
HQPlayer = over processed sound
M Scaler = music

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #18,491 of 18,991
Esto puede parecer una tontería pero me dio “tranquilidad”…. que estaba haciendo todo lo posible para eliminar la controversia rfi. Lo mismo ocurre con poner cierta distancia entre tt2 y mscaler. Las imágenes que he visto con cables estirados al máximo entre tt2 y mscaler son estéticamente desagradables. También parecen una antena.
Desde el punto de vista del diseño industrial, de sus formas se deduce claramente que fueron pensados (diseñados) para ser apilados.
Si eso perjudicara la calidad del sonido, ROB no habría permitido ese diseño obviamente.
Esto puede parecer una tontería pero me dio “tranquilidad”…. que estaba haciendo todo lo posible para eliminar la controversia rfi. Lo mismo ocurre con poner cierta distancia entre tt2 y mscaler. Las imágenes que he visto con cables estirados al máximo entre tt2 y mscaler son estéticamente desagradables. También parecen una antena.
Desde el punto de vista del diseño industrial, de sus formas se deduce claramente que fueron pensados (diseñados) para ser apilados.
Si eso perjudicara la calidad del sonido, ROB no habría permitido ese diseño obviamente.

Jan 5, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #18,492 of 18,991
+1. And I would reuse your post by saying:
...it is veeery easy and fast to fekkup your parameters and sooo difficult to find a resting point named "I am there, now I'm set". Going back to M-Scaler once in a while to compare .... and you're off again fiddling the million HQP parameters.. sigh.... endless not-quite-perfect and usually not better than M-Scaler... That is why I rather use my M-Scaler and looking forward for its second iteration.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #18,493 of 18,991
hqplayer will be an option, if there is some dedicated hardware you can install it on, like the same way as a mscaler, plug and play. For the price hqplayer gives you a lot, but it is never plug and play

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back