HTPC/XBMC-fi
May 2, 2012 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

RingingEars

1000+ Head-Fier
Who here has set up a HTPC with or without XBMC. How do you like it?
I finally got fed up with my cable provider yesterday and cancelled my TV service(still have to use them for internet).
I'm thinking of building a HTPC or buying one of the Acer Revo 3700 and using Hulu +.
I would get a Roku or Apple TV, but I don't want to be limited to just what they offer.
I was also checking out the XBMC site and like what they have going on there as well.
HTPC + XBMC looks like a gadget geeks dream...

May 2, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
you can put a zotac nano. its amazingly small.

I'll check that out too.
I have a few new components laying around. Almost everything I need to build one. I just need a HD, case, and OS.

May 2, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #4 of 9
Agree with the Apple TV and roku restrictions.

These guys do custom HTPC's and offer a full xbmc setup.  www.assassinhtpc.com

Just a suggestions.  I bought one with their wmc setup (the just started offering xbmc setup this year).

May 3, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 9
I use a mac mini dedicated to my tv and I run plex on it. It's a fork (i.e. derivative based off) xbmc and really awesome. It has support for remote play via an ios app so you could say watch (via streaming from your pc) part of a movie on a train, etc. and then it syncs this time information such that you can go home and press play and start where you left off.

May 3, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #6 of 9
Well I just about have all the parts to build one. I built a new comp last year just for web use, but decided I wanted something faster so I scrapped it. I still have everything in the boxes I just need an SSD drive, HTPC case, and the OS.
I installed XBMC last night on my main rig just to try it out. Seems to have a lot of nice features and Hulu plus HD streaming seems acceptable so I should be good to go...

May 6, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 9
Ok so here's what I have:
Gigabyte EP45T-USB3P(had lying around)
Intel Core Duo E7500(had lying around)
MSI N250GTS Twin Frozr(had lying around)
4gb Kingston HyperX DDR3(had lying around)
OCZ  60GB Agility 3 SATA(just bought)
Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE 22X SATA DVDRW Internal Drive(just bought)[will replace with Blu-ray down the road]
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit(just bought)
IOGEAR Multimedia Keyboard with Laser Trackball and Scroll Wheel(just bought)
Cooler Master Elite 360 case(just bought)

Should make a pretty decent HTPC.

May 6, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #8 of 9
I have a HTPC with XBMC + NPVR and multi tuners working nicely 
tongue_smile.gif
 One does not need powerhouses to function as a HTPC but if i were u i'd consider a nice audio set up as a decent one adds a lot to the HT experience. You can even go simple 2 channel vintage/classic amp and floorstanders that extend low and this would bring much enjoyment ^^ The many addons in XBMC provide hours of entertainment free on a daily basis for me
beerchug.gif

May 6, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
I have a HTPC with XBMC + NPVR and multi tuners working nicely 
tongue_smile.gif
 One does not need powerhouses to function as a HTPC but if i were u i'd consider a nice audio set up as a decent one adds a lot to the HT experience. You can even go simple 2 channel vintage/classic amp and floorstanders that extend low and this would bring much enjoyment ^^ The many addons in XBMC provide hours of entertainment free on a daily basis for me
beerchug.gif

I have a very nice 2ch audio setup. See my photo album. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back