Htc One
May 15, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #196 of 533
Hi, to check, are you using the stock player? If so, try a third party one like power amp that has a no clipping feature, see if that helps :)

May 15, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #198 of 533
8 ohms is ridiculously low. You would need a LOT of current to drive those which these phones are not designed for. They also have a higher then 1ohm output impepance (not sure what exactly) so that is also causing a mismatch.

Add a 32ohm impedance adapter and that should fix it for you.  My other recommendation is not to buy earphones with that low an impedance.. I wouldn't pick anything under 25ohms.

May 15, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #200 of 533
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ETYMOTIC-ER4P-TO-ER4S-RESISTOR-ADAPTOR-3-5MM-PLUG-/290372905689

That is a 75ohm one. You can try looking for smaller ones but you should still be able to get plenty of volume even with a 75ohm one.

May 15, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #202 of 533
Didn't notice any hiss with my radius but they are 24 ohms, but with my old sony x there was very low hiss so I am happy.

May 16, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #203 of 533
Quote:
Did any of you experienced CPU noise on HTC One? Try it with sensitive iem with max volume and launch some apps, they were clearly hearable in previous models.

WIth my Shure SE420s I can hear a *little* bit of EMI when accessing the network (e.g. caching a new track with Google Play), but it's extremely subtle compared to my other two Android devices.  Certainly not audible when listening to music and invisible with headphones.

This was the first thing I tried when I got this phone, because I am a huge fan of Google Play (on the road) and BubbleUPnP (in my house w/ DLNA on a MyBook Live) and wanted to make sure this was at a low level.  You won't be sorry with respect to background noise from this handset.

May 17, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #205 of 533
For those of you reporting that Poweramp has lower volume, there's a setting you can change to fix that if you so desire.

Settings > Audio > Advanced Tweaks > Direct Volume Control (uncheck it if you need more volume)

May 19, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #206 of 533
Using JH16s to listen to ALAC tracks, though poweramp, I think my HTC One sounds noticeably worse than both the S2 and the S3 (which I previously owned). It sounds  bad enough (with or without "beats" on) that for the first time since the iPhone 3G I think i'm going to be getting a different source. 

Terrible performance.

Btw, it works fine with an ODAC (just plugin, I needed to restart but YMMV).

On the other hand, it's an awesome phone. This is big enough a deal that I might try listening to the S4 and switching if it's good enough...

May 19, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #207 of 533
Trouble is the S4 has a crackling issue with low impedance phones, especially ba drivers.

You could try rooting and install android revolution hd with the purex audio mod.

That could reduce floor noise, or try the above and use an impedance adapter.

Or buy a usb dac/amp as it does support usb audio.

May 19, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #208 of 533
Quote:

Terrible performance.

Btw, it works fine with an ODAC (just plugin, I needed to restart but YMMV).

On the other hand, it's an awesome phone. This is big enough a deal that I might try listening to the S4 and switching if it's good enough...

I am afraid I have to agree, after extensive listening.

I've been using the phone in my car a lot with the HTC AptX bluetooth adapter, which works great, BTW, but sounds 'thin' compared to my iPod 5.5 in the same environment.

But listening with headphones is best described as 'fatiguing'.  When I plug in my Grados I am quickly reaching to lower the volume and I get a headache after about 15 minutes (Beats off).

I will sometimes connect my NuForce uDAC-2SE to the HTC One and listen w/ the same phones and it really sounds wonderful, but the battery is an issue for long-term use.  I have not been able to make the HTC One work with my Dragonfly, but the NuForce uDAC-2SE can plug/un-plug at will without rebooting, which is nice for when you need to make a call.

However, I often use a pair of Bose QC-15 at work (I sit near the sales guys and it's like a frat house around my desk; only the Bose cans will block out that level of racket).  With the QC-15, I will turn on 'The Beats' and it's not bad for background listening.  It's very bassy and doesn't really sound like what I am used to for active listening, but for work it's fine.  I do wonder if this phone was tuned for headphones like Bose (or Beats?) or relatively cheap ear buds.

All that said, it's still my portable rig for now, but I keep the NuForce handy for active listening.

May 19, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #209 of 533
Quote:

I've been using the phone in my car a lot with the HTC AptX bluetooth adapter, which works great, BTW, but sounds 'thin' compared to my iPod 5.5 in the same environment.

But listening with headphones is best described as 'fatiguing'.  When I plug in my Grados I am quickly reaching to lower the volume and I get a headache after about 15 minutes (Beats off).

Krutsch, are you using poweramp? Have you seen if there is a HTC software upgrade?

After posting earlier, I'd been trying to figure out if there was anything which could be done. (I posted as I was trying to find out if my reaction was .. unique).

I installed a HTC software upgrade (it didn't prompt me, but it showed availability when i searched) and I also found: http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/4735-poor-sound-quality-on-htc-one/

When I tried doing what the developer suggested, I realised that DVC was already on, and that poweramp had switched on it's "tone" and "eq" functions by default.

After the HTC software upgrade (I'm in Singapore, version is: 1.29.707.16), swtiching OFF DVC and the "tone" and "eq" functions, I'm alot more pleased. 

See if this helps? With these changes, I might not have said "terrible". It's enough that the search for a replacement has become not too urgent.

I'm still going to evaluate an ak100/rwak100, or a separate dac/amp, or (most exciting but gosh pricey) LCD3 + Lyr (or Mojnir) + Bifrost (or Gungir), but I think improvement is going to be  less obvious.

May 19, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #210 of 533
Quote:
Trouble is the S4 has a crackling issue with low impedance phones, especially ba drivers.

You could try rooting and install android revolution hd with the purex audio mod.

Thanks. Which S4 version do you mean - exynos or qualcomm? I suspect qualcomm won't be an improvement at all, sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back