HT Omega Striker 7.1
Aug 11, 2007 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Volucris

New Head-Fier
Yay or Nay?

I plan on doing heavy music listening with high quality rips and CDs. I game some but not a lot. I will use this card in conjunction with a pair of Grado SR60 headphones and Windows XP.

For $80, is this a good card? Are there any recommendations for cards better than this around its price range?

Aug 12, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 13
My impression is that the Striker uses a single "codec" chip that has all the DSP and DAC functionality integrated into that single device, so it does not have the best quality DAC's for music.

It probably depends on what you require for gaming as to whether that tradeoff is worth it. There are much better cards for music out there for not much more (E-MU 0404 PCI).....but they don't support games as well as cheaper cards, or so it seems.

Aug 12, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your impression is incorrect. The card uses a chipset -> DAC ->Opamp design common to this type of soundcard.

Well, it's no longer an impression.....I found that indeed it does not use discrete DACs.

From the product manual pdf:

- C-Media CMI8770/PCI-8ch PCI Chipset (8CH audio chipset with Dolby®
Digital Live Real-Time Content Encoder and DTS CONNECT technology
enabled PCI audio chipset)
- 8CH codec embedded PCI audio single chip
- Full-duplex 8CH 24-bit/96kHz DAC, 2CH 16-bit/48kHz ADC

The product description for the Striker on the HT Omega web site doesn't state that it uses discrete DAC chips as do the pages for the Claro or Claro+ (which specifically identify the DAC and ADC chips used on the higher end cards.)

That jives with C-Media's description of the device:

"C-Media CMI8770 PCI chipset (8CH 24bit/96kHz DAC/2CH 16bit/48kHz ADC audio single chip with DTS® Connect and Dolby® Digital Live Hardware Real-Time Content Encoder)".

The photos of the Striker show no IC's that could be discrete DAC's anywhere on it. There are 8-pin opamps and some regulators, but no multiple discrete DAC's.

Aug 12, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 13
So I take it that not having discrete DACs is bad?

Lets say I won't get my new HDD now and will up the sound card budget to about $180. I'm starting college soon(full ride scholarship) and will need something nice sounding to keep me going through Zoology papers.

How about the HT Omega Claro Plus+?

I was also thinking about getting some new cans to replace my open SR60s. I was thinking I would try to find a good closed can. Recommendations on either would be nice.

Thanks for your help by the way!

Aug 12, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #9 of 13
Congratulations on the scholarship! Your parents must be both proud and grateful for your hard work to get that.

In general, yes--for music, discrete DAC's are the way to go versus a "codec" all-in-one chip.

If you can go to $180, you have a lot of options....and maybe an even tougher decision as to how to balance your music vs. gaming requirements.

Not being a gamer (my son is a sophomore in college, so I am a bit past the median gamer age, I guess
icon10.gif
) I have no idea what capabilities/compatibilities you need for the games you like.

From what I have read, I would take a hard look at the Sondigo Inferno card, available for $80 at newegg (uses the AK4396 DAC chip, AK's current flagship.) It has an ASIO driver available (good method for music via Foobar) and supports EAX™1.0&2.0, A3D™ 1.0, and DirectSound, according to:

http://www.sondigo.com/inferno

Next, find a used headamp here on Head-Fi. For $100 or so, there will be lots of choices available. If you want a strictly desktop solution, you should be able to find a "desktop PIMETA" with a wallwart power supply around that price, or for maybe a bit less, you can find various GoVibes with an Elpac for use on AC power back in your room and also have battery power for portability. All depends on what is available at the time you need to buy.

Closed cans will be a "matter of taste" for you. I am a Senn HD600 fan, but have a pair of HD280's that I like to use on the road with my notebook--I can drive them directly with my notebook's sound card (which cannot drive the HD600's very well) and block out any other noise. It may not be so easy to find a closed model that you like.

Aug 12, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are primarily doing music listening, why not go with a USB based DAC/Amp like the Total bithead? http://www.headphone.com/products/he...al-bithead.php

As far as closed cans... I just picked up some Sennheiser HD280 Pros to use around campus with my MBP. Pretty happy with them thus far, but I will likely give the Audio Technica ATH-ANC7s a try as well.

I like that idea.

Is $149 a good price on that?

Oh and about headphones. I have a large head thanks to Dutch heritage and therefore the Sennheiser HD280pros do not fit.

Aug 12, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volucris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like that idea.

Is $149 a good price on that?

Oh and about headphones. I have a large head thanks to Dutch heritage and therefore the Sennheiser HD280pros do not fit.

I remember them being more like 250.00 at one point, so I'd call that a fair price.

If the 280 Pros do not fit, you may want to try the Beyerdynamic 770 Pro-80s. I would have those, but my MBP wasn't able to drive them without an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back