HRT MicroSreamer Vs HRT Music Streamer
Mar 29, 2013 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

markm1

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking at DAC options to pair w/ an Asgard 2. Besides the obvious choice Bifrost or Modi, HRT products have caught my eye.

Has anyone compared HRT MicroStreamer vs the Music Streamer

The MicroStreamer is a DAC/Amp combo. I  don't really need the amp since I have the Asgard, but I've seen some positive reviews of  the Microstreamer.  Appears that for HP listening the Microstreamer has some advantages. I get the impression that the folks at HRT who have recently released the Micro think it's an improvement from the Music Streamer over all.

From what I can tell, the Microstreamer was designed to connect directly into HP's, whereas the Music Streamer might be designed to use with a separate amplifier or powered stereo/audio system. Micros is also geared toward portability. And, I'm primarily interested in designated listening with HP set up utilzing my PC and stereo equipment that are all in the same spot.

I'd love to hear from anyone whose tried both to see if the SQ on Mocrostreamer is an improvement on their popular Music Streamer product.

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 3
If portability and small size are not priorities in your setup, you should seriously consider the JDS Labs ODAC.  It's an affordable, dedicated DAC unit with performance and sonic signature comparable to (and sometimes better than) DACs many times its price.

***Disclaimer:  I have not had the opportunity to audition the ODAC - I'm just going off multitudes of positive reviews in these forums.  The O2 + OCAC, until a few days ago, were at the top of my list. Based on reviews alone, I'm pretty confident that combo would have kept me happy for a while - but the lack of portability kept me from pulling the trigger.

I'm leaning now towards the HRT microStreamer, as a "bigger bang for the buck" entry level DAC/amp solution to keep my ears happy while I continue to research more expensive kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back