HRT HeadStreamer
Dec 1, 2023 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MErwin

New Head-Fier
I pulled out my (at least) 10 year old HRT HeadStreamer and plugged it into my Windows 10 laptop and Sennheiser HD 660s2's.

I really like the way it sounds -- it's musical yet detailed and insightful.

I haven't been using outboard dacs (for my laptop or iPhone) and I'm wondering about purchasing a new outboard dac.

Do you think that modern portable solid-state dacs have made vast improvements in sound quality since the HeadStreamer?

I'm not taking this answer as a given ("yes") because I find that I enjoy my older (1990's era) CD player's sound (using its TDA 1541 D/A chip) which is smooth and musical and more analog-sounding to me than modern players.

Thanks for your response!

Dec 1, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 5
I recalled the HRT used a PCM1793 as its DAC chip, which is properly 'ancient' given the leap and bounce we have seen in DAC chip development over the last decade, not to mention how far along that USB dongle has come along for the last 3~5 years. For what you are looking for, I'll recommend (1) iFi Audio Go Bar. While Go Bar used a Cirrus Logic DAC chip, it is purposefully tuned to sound very similar to iFi's own DSD1793 based flagship models like the iDSD series so you will still have that old-school smoothness of the Burr-Brown chip. (2) Cayin RU7 - which uses a discrete 1-bit DAC design that has a sound that is reminiscent of old-school 1 bit chip found on many old DAC / receiver / CD players. If you want something even stronger in analog taste, Cayin also makes the RU6 (R-2R based).

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #3 of 5
Thank you very much for your insights--I'll check out your recommendations!

What about the Astell & Kern dongles -- such as the new HC4, have you heard these? I ask because I am using the portable amplifier from AK (the PA10) which I enjoy with the Sennheiser HD-660s2's.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back