HQPlayer Impressions and Settings Rolling Thread
Mar 17, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #811 of 1,469
For PCM you can/should lower your Bits from 24 to 18 or 20 bits depending on your DAC you are using.
So maybe @jlaako can advise you on the optimal setting for your specific DAC.
Would be great to get a recommendation: using a Devialet Expert DAC (which uses a Texas Instruments 179x) regarding bits setting.

I am using PCM and upsampling to 192/24. So what filter and Diether options are suggested to use?
@bogi input very much appreciated too.

Mar 17, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #812 of 1,469
Would be great to get a recommendation: using a Devialet Expert DAC (which uses a Texas Instruments 179x) regarding bits setting.
Use the 'Default' or 24bit setting. PCM1792 is segment DAC with 24 bit PCM input. Upper 8 bits are passed through R2R D/A stage and lower 16 bits through delta sigma D/A stage. Overall it can be considered to belong to delta sigma DAC category.

Mar 17, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #813 of 1,469
I've been trying to wrap my head around how to EQ either on HQPlayer itself or REW and tbh, I don't have a clue where to even start, HALP PLOX!!!!!

Mar 17, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #814 of 1,469
Use the 'Default' or 24bit setting. PCM1792 is segment DAC with 24 bit PCM input. Upper 8 bits are passed through R2R D/A stage and lower 16 bits through delta sigma D/A stage. Overall it can be considered to belong to delta sigma DAC category.
Thank you very much! So based on that what filter and Diether settings should provide the best results for upsampling to 192/24 ?

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:01 AM Post #815 of 1,469
Now for some advertisement: :wink:
If you really want to enjoy unaltered HQP DSD upsampling you need to have a DSD direct capable DAC in order to get rid of internal DSP by the DAC chips, like all ESS chips and most AKM implementations.
There are only few DSD direct DACs out there for example the RME ADI-2 DAC FS V1 and V2 (not latest version), some higher end Holo Audio DACs and the cheap, but non the less great SMSL D6 with AK 4493 chip, which by chance you can find one in the classified listings. :)
Thank you for your attention.
Actually all current Holo DACs fit the bill, even the recently released Cyan2, which is their cheapest model.

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:02 AM Post #816 of 1,469
I've been trying to wrap my head around how to EQ either on HQPlayer itself or REW and tbh, I don't have a clue where to even start, HALP PLOX!!!!!
You can check out the HQP section in the Roon Forum, there are a lot of threads about this, e.g. this one
Roon Forum

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #817 of 1,469
Actually all current Holo DACs fit the bill, even the recently released Cyan2, which is their cheapest model.
Thanks, I will update my post. Cyan 2 is still 10 times costlier than D6. :wink:

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:10 AM Post #818 of 1,469
You can check out the HQP section in the Roon Forum, there are a lot of threads about this, e.g. this one
Roon Forum
Yep, I'm not really getting it, I think I'm still going to use EQ on Roon because I just don't understand how to use both REW or Matrix, not smart enough tbh.

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:27 AM Post #819 of 1,469
2 DACs in one box - PCM section and DSD. I use a T+A DAC 200 and it does both very well, but the DSD is extra special. Only downside is the cost - these DACs tend to be pricey as they pack a lot into the box.

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:57 AM Post #820 of 1,469
Yep, I'm not really getting it, I think I'm still going to use EQ on Roon because I just don't understand how to use both REW or Matrix, not smart enough tbh.
What do you want to do? Room correction? Headphone correction?

Mar 18, 2024 at 2:51 AM Post #821 of 1,469
What do you want to do? Room correction? Headphone correction?
I want to use the EQ profiles that I have for my different headphones that I already have on Roon and take them from there and use them on HQP directly but the UI is to byzantine for me as a neophyte to even understand what I'm seeing.

Mar 18, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #822 of 1,469
I want to use the EQ profiles that I have for my different headphones that I already have on Roon and take them from there and use them on HQP directly but the UI is to byzantine for me as a neophyte to even understand what I'm seeing.
create a .txt file with content like this:

Equaliser: Generic
Eris E8 Correction
Filter 1: ON HP Fc 7 Hz
Filter 2: ON HS Fc 100 Hz Gain -1.20 dB Q 0.450
Filter 3: ON HS Fc 1800 Hz Gain -2.20 dB Q 0.354
Filter 4: ON HS Fc 20000 Hz Gain -10.00 dB Q 0.500
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 130 Hz Gain -8.00 dB Q 8.000
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 41 Hz Gain -1.00 dB Q 5.000
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 82 Hz Gain -0.50 dB Q 8.000
Filter 8: ON HS Fc 50 Hz Gain -0.70 dB Q 0.707

now...

1. go to hqplayer -> matrix -> pipeline setup
2. for a stereo setup, choose channel 1 and 2, select browse on each channel and select the txt file you created
3. also input to both channels atleast -1 db of gain to be sure make it -3 db
3. press plot to see the eq curve and if everything is applied correctly
4. you might wanna select "IIR to FIR" (top-ish left corner) if you prefer FIR EQ like me
5. enable the pipeline (left top corner)
6. input a name in the top field and select save to save the current profile

hope this gets you started... you can also auto generate the eq txt file with REW (google might help better here)
if you wanna create it manually just copy/paste and adjust to your liking

Fc = Frequency
Gain = should be clear
Q = should be clear

HP = High Pass
LP = Low Pass
HS = High Shelf
LS = Low Shelf
PK = PeaK Filter

ON / OFF lets you choose if the filter gets applied

some things like HS Q in REW doesnt seem to be supported, keep that in mind

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 3:22 AM Post #823 of 1,469
create a .txt file with content like this:

now...

1. go to hqplayer -> matrix -> pipeline setup
2. for a stereo setup, choose channel 1 and 2, select browse on each channel and select the txt file you created
3. also input to both channels atleast -1 db of gain to be sure make it -3 db
3. press plot to see the eq curve and if everything is applied correctly
4. you might wanna select "IIR to FIR" (top-ish left corner) if you prefer FIR EQ like me
5. enable the pipeline (left top corner)
6. input a name in the top field and select save to save the current profile
Ok, thanks dude, this is very useful, I think I can use this and I'll try again tomorrow to see if I can make it work for me.

Mar 18, 2024 at 3:22 AM Post #824 of 1,469
A guide to HQPlayer PEQ appears in HQPlayer manual. PEQ settings can be input directly in Process column of Matrix pipeline dialog or a path to txt file can be specified. The manual states which txt formats (exports from other tools like REW) HQPlayer supports. I see just @Ghoostknight posted an example of TXT file usage.

An example of entering PEQ values directly to Process column (without txt file): Tilt eq making bright recordings less bright without changing tonal balance of instruments:

iir:type=hshelf;f=50;s=0.5;g=-0.4,iir:type=hshelf;f=200;s=0.5;g=-0.4,iir:type=hshelf;f=800;s=0.5;g=-0.4,iir:type=hshelf;f=3200;s=0.5;g=-0.4,iir:type=hshelf;f=12800;s=0.5;g=-0.4,

1710746115759.png

After pressing the Plot button you can see the filter response.

1710746508027.png

As you see, for g=-0.4 it gives almost -2 dB attenuation at 20kHz against 20 Hz.
If you would substitute all occurences of g=-0.4 with g=-0.8 you would get almost -4 dB attenuation at 20kHz and so on.
I'm not using Roon to help you more but if you can export PEQ settings from Roon, follow the PEQ syntax from HQPlayer manual to enter it into HQPlayer or into TXT file in a suitable format.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 3:33 AM Post #825 of 1,469
A guide to HQPlayer PEQ appears in HQPlayer manual. PEQ settings can be input directly in Process column of Matrix pipeline dialog or a path to txt file can be imported. The manual states which txt formats (exports from other tools like REW) HQPlayer supports. I see just @Ghoostknight posted an example of TXT file usage.

An example of entering PEQ values directly to Process column (without txt file): Tilt eq making bright recordings less bright without changing tonal balance of instruments:

iir:type=hshelf;f=50;s=0.5;g=-0.4,iir:type=hshelf;f=200;s=0.5;g=-0.4,iir:type=hshelf;f=800;s=0.5;g=-0.4,iir:type=hshelf;f=3200;s=0.5;g=-0.4,iir:type=hshelf;f=12800;s=0.5;g=-0.4,

After pressing the Plot button you can see the filter response.

As you see, for g=-0.4 it gives almost -2 dB attenuation at 20kHz against 20 Hz.
If you would substitute all occurences of g=-0.4 with g=-0.8 you would get almost -4 dB attenuation at 20kHz and so on.
I'm not using Roon to help you more but if you can export PEQ settings from Roon, follow the PEQ syntax from HQPlayer manual to enter it into HQPlayer or into TCT file in a suitable format.

ahh... i thought you can input this eq string in the text file too... thats why i never got it working till i found the REW way

Do you know what the Overlap-add Overlap-save and Expand HF checkboxes do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back