HQPlayer Impressions and Settings Rolling Thread
Mar 16, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #796 of 1,468
1710573403031.png

I'm already trying it out this modulator and filter combination, it sounds great and the bass is incredibly, but it seems to collapse the soundstage somewhat, a little bit more intimate.

I would recommend moving that EQ to HQPlayer side, to the matrix processor. This way you can disable all DSP from Roon side and get bit-perfect feed from Roon to HQPlayer... This also allows various other options, such as running it as FIR instead of IIR. And more efficient implementation for DSD sources.

Mar 16, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #797 of 1,468
You can try to improve your signal path by streaming to HQP bit perfect. Meaning in your case no EQ in Roon. PEQ can be done also in HQP, unfortunately not with such a nice GUI as in Roon.

You can also use REW as GUI to create a .txt file that you can load to HQPlayer matrix processor. Of course REW also has limited number of bands available, while HQPlayer has unlimited number of EQ bands. But it is not an issue in this case, since it only uses 5 bands.

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #798 of 1,468
If you like gauss-long and want more air the next ones to try are gauss-xla and sinc-MGa.
Do you like the R26 with DSD? The measurements didn't make the DSD module look fantastic, have you tried PCM with bits set to 16?
https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/gustard-r26/

Thanks, tried the R26 with PCM and didn't like it at all.
With DSD it sounds fantastic in my chain, I am not a measurement guy. I let ears be my judge.

Mar 16, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #799 of 1,468
Hilho.

I report.

Not really HQP related but is.
Today I trialed Tidal again in anticipation of reduced rate and more Flac conversions. While many titles still have not converted, today I noticed difference with Enable MQA core decoder toggled on in Roon as I have always had on in past. With files still triggering MQA Authentication and unfold to 88.2. This was not the case before or I can notice more now as result of minute changes since.

The sound was slightly off from usual so I tried the usual assortment of troubleshooting from uninstalling HQP and rebooting, etc. Roon had difference in sound compared to Qobuz still until I tried turning core decoder off. Now the sound is more similar as Qobuz Flac.

A non issue with files already Flac, but the ones triggering MQA authentication, with core decoder on, something seems wonky now from the past trials.

My previous understanding was allowing core decoder on was best and then upsample from there. This is not the case now in my test and base 44.1 without core decode is now equal to sound of Qobuz. Maybe something has changed now since their transition or this could be placebo. But, if one has noticed difference using Tidal or Tidal and Roon, this could be the reason.

I am curious if the flag for MQA is wrong and we are now being served Flac.

Core decoder on:
1710605861889.png

Core decoder off:
1710605955390.png

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #800 of 1,468
For my ears it brings less "dense" presentation - more laid back, relaxed one.

Do you use any headphone crossfeed solution? It helps with instrument positioning within soundstage. You can try the built in Bauer crossfeed with Jan Meyer setup (in Matrix Pipeline dialog), how it affects soundstage. There are other solutions too, but not so easily integrated with HQPlayer.
I tried crossfeed and the different algorithms but unless it was a really hard pan left to right stereo mix like the doors or jimmy hendrix, I found that I don't like it what it does to the rest of the sound in any given recording that's not like that.

Mar 16, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #801 of 1,468
You can try to improve your signal path by streaming to HQP bit perfect. Meaning in your case no EQ in Roon. PEQ can be done also in HQP, unfortunately not with such a nice GUI as in Roon.
I thought of that but Idk if I can have different profiles for different HP in HQP as I do on Roon?

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #803 of 1,468
Yes, you can have number of matrix profiles and you can switch the profiles on the fly.
Yep, thanks for all the help and advice.

I'm reading the manual right now to learn how to use the matrix and see if I can wrap my head around this.

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #804 of 1,468
1710652004950.png

Definitively the best that my SENN HD6XX have ever sound, I think I found my settings.

Mar 17, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #805 of 1,468
Trying the HQPlayer 5.

Still thinking about getting it. Wich would be the recommend settings for a 7800x3d and FiiO K9pro?

I mostly use headphones, and flac (or tidal via roon) so.. any ideas will be aprecciate.

HQPlayer5Desktop_ZOBHGKCTmg.png

Ive got some doubts about what 48k DSD tick does. Also, when I turn it on, when I play any song I get a "clip" sound before it. But selected or not, Ive tried with multiple files types.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #806 of 1,468
K9 Pro is ESS-based, so objectively you may be best off with 5th order DSD modulators. I like EC-light & EC-super better than ECv3, but like the filters, that's subjective.

Objectively, linear phase filters together with headphones (which themselves are minimum phase) will make for a "phase coherent" system. Archimago showed headphone users overall did prefer this: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-linear-vs-minimum-phase-upsampling_10.html (please read his analysis for more exact wording).

The HQPlayer manual contains quite a bit on which filter & modulator *could* work well in which scenario. I have the impression though that the developers have put the "genre" recommendations based on speaker-based listening, which are not phase linear reproduction systems anyway (except maybe on full-range speakers? I digress). So on headphones I consistently look for linear phase filters that I think sound good, regardless of the manual recommendations.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #807 of 1,468
The HQPlayer manual contains quite a bit on which filter & modulator *could* work well in which scenario. I have the impression though that the developers have put the "genre" recommendations based on speaker-based listening, which are not phase linear reproduction systems anyway (except maybe on full-range speakers? I digress). So on headphones I consistently look for linear phase filters that I think sound good, regardless of the manual recommendations.
FIR vs IIR can definitely be heared on speakers where FIR sounds more time correct ... even if your speakers shift the phase... if you shift it even more it sounds "worse" in my expierence
if we take my speakers the tweeter is probably wired 180 degrees shifted... the main thing here is ime that we are specially sensitive to lower frequency phase, so with such speakers make sure your low end driver is in correct absolute polarity and your tweeter is shifted... it really makes a difference, easly heared in bass impact and so on

since most people EQ low frequencys you dont wanna mess with the near perfect low driver phase response, this is where FIR is still handy for speakers

also the main problem in my expierence is not if the phase is shifted linaer, its the "wrap zones" where the phase actually SHIFTS (crossover for example) ... this is the real audible killer
since the pure difference between 180 degree shifted vs 0 degree heared standalone is way less than phaseshifted frequency parts on the whole audible range

---------

about the genre recommendations.... i find this rather stupid to do it that way... it might be easier for endconsumers but for more technical people its "nonsense" imo
i think the filters recommended for classical, jazz etc are the technical more correct ones but i could be wrong

i got a feeling that pop/rock/electronic is generally recommended on filters that are technical worse, since these genres tend to mask errors somewhat with clipping, loadness, distortion etc
tho... i listen nearly everything BESIDE classic, just some very occaisonal film score and i still like technical correct filters... it makes a difference with the "right" rock/pop songs

Mar 17, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #808 of 1,468
K9 Pro is ESS-based, so objectively you may be best off with 5th order DSD modulators. I like EC-light & EC-super better than ECv3, but like the filters, that's subjective.

Objectively, linear phase filters together with headphones (which themselves are minimum phase) will make for a "phase coherent" system. Archimago showed listeners overall did prefer this: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-linear-vs-minimum-phase-upsampling_10.html (please read his analysis for more exact wording).

My k9 is the AKM based one.

I check the maximum DSD capabilities is 256 on my dac, so for bitrate limit I should get that right?

Mar 17, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #809 of 1,468
I check the maximum DSD capabilities is 256 on my dac, so for bitrate limit I should get that right?
Yes. Just that two bitrates for DSD256 exist. 44.1*256 and 48k*256. Most DACs support only 44.1*256=11.3M. 48k based DSD rates are non standard, but they are helpful with HQPlayer when 48k based PCM content is converted to DSD on the fly.

DAC behavior at 48k based DSD rates may vary. Some DACs don't play anything. Others may generate white noise. Some DACs play music slower and on lowered tones in ratio 44.1/48. For example 1kHz test tone may be played at 1*44.1/48kHz = 0.918kHz, the difference is more than 1 tone. And some DACs play 48k DSD rates correctly.

You can test if your DAC supports 48k based DSD rates yourself. If you are able to remember the first tone or a musical scale of the song played, try both output rates, if you notice that a bit more than one tone difference.

You can also perform such a comparison based on 1k test tone (in attachment).
Here I'm showing, that my DAC supports 48k based DSD rates, since the test tone sounds the same at all rates played:

Attachments

• 1kHz-3sec-fs48k.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #810 of 1,468
Now for some advertisement: :wink:
If you really want to enjoy unaltered HQP DSD upsampling you need to have a DSD direct capable DAC in order to get rid of internal DSP by the DAC chips, like all ESS chips and most AKM implementations.
There are only few DSD direct DACs out there for example (there are still more) the RME ADI-2 DAC FS V1 and V2 (not latest version), all Holo Audio DACs and the cheap, but non the less great SMSL D6 with AK 4493 chip, which by chance you can find one in the classified listings. :)
Thank you for your attention.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back