HQPlayer Impressions and Settings Rolling Thread
May 28, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #31 of 1,407
what sources does hqplayer resample? is it purely for listening to files?

May 28, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #32 of 1,407
what sources does hqplayer resample? is it purely for listening to files?
Local and network shared files, Qobuz, and Roon can output anything it plays to it as well.

May 28, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #33 of 1,407
Local and network shared files, Qobuz, and Roon can output anything it plays to it as well.
how does the chain work in this roon/hqplayer configuration?
roon server -> hq player server -> roon endpoint or how?

this would be definitely a plus point even if would like to avoid roon for subscription reasons..

May 28, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #34 of 1,407
Jun 4, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #35 of 1,407
I noticed that while ASDM7EC-super seems to pair best with Susvara, with TC I still prefer ASDM7ECv3. I mainly listen to very fast music, like metal, with TC and ECv3 feels like a faster/snappier filter.

Jun 6, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #36 of 1,407
So last few weeks I've concluded that I prefer PCM to DSD on the May, contrary to Jussi's opinion which is that PCM sounds "flat, congested and messy in the treble".
My theory was that it is because he has the Holo Spring 3, which has a DSD section similar to the May but the PCM section can't touch the May's performance.
Anyways this is all speculating, the reason i'm posting here is that, while I currently prefer PCM to DSD256 and DSD512, I've had various people here and in the Audiophilestyle thread suggest to me that the DSD performance at DSD1024 is really on another level.

I've been hesitant about this too since Jussi has stated that you should pick the best modulator first and then find the sample rate which your PC allows you to run it at. However yesterday I spent the evening A/B'ing various genres between PCM and DSD1024 using AMSDM7 512+fs, and I think I can finally hear the magic! Bass is much more defined and there's this fantastic "air" around instruments, enhancing separation and staging. The air is something people mentioned but I think the bass is the real winner here! Susvara doesn't have harman bass so in order for it to be present it needs to be well defined and not muddy/flabby/diffuse.

Now I'm debating between an overclocked 13900k so I can do ASDM7v3 at DSD1024 or holding out till 14th gen.

Jun 6, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #37 of 1,407
My theory is that Jussi is using speakers and headphones benefit more from the increased soundstage that the higher DSD rate provides.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #38 of 1,407
So last few weeks I've concluded that I prefer PCM to DSD on the May, contrary to Jussi's opinion which is that PCM sounds "flat, congested and messy in the treble".
My theory was that it is because he has the Holo Spring 3, which has a DSD section similar to the May but the PCM section can't touch the May's performance.
Anyways this is all speculating, the reason i'm posting here is that, while I currently prefer PCM to DSD256 and DSD512, I've had various people here and in the Audiophilestyle thread suggest to me that the DSD performance at DSD1024 is really on another level.

I've been hesitant about this too since Jussi has stated that you should pick the best modulator first and then find the sample rate which your PC allows you to run it at. However yesterday I spent the evening A/B'ing various genres between PCM and DSD1024 using AMSDM7 512+fs, and I think I can finally hear the magic! Bass is much more defined and there's this fantastic "air" around instruments, enhancing separation and staging. The air is something people mentioned but I think the bass is the real winner here! Susvara doesn't have harman bass so in order for it to be present it needs to be well defined and not muddy/flabby/diffuse.

Now I'm debating between an overclocked 13900k so I can do ASDM7v3 at DSD1024 or holding out till 14th gen.
Welcome to the magic!

EC takes it another step further and I hope you get to experience it someday.

Just FYI, 13900K will require a decent graphics card for ASDM7ECV3 @ 1024 rates, at least in my setup it will not do it on the igpu alone.
Not an issue for me as I found I preferred AMSDM7EC 512+fs and hires lp filter without the need of external gpu.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #39 of 1,407
Actually, I take that back... v3 will play at 44.1x1024 with hires lp but stutters after some time. 7EC Light does work though at 44.1x1024.

Here are some notes when I tested on HQP5 Embedded. While v3 played without hiccup, I still preferred using HQP5 Desktop with AMSDM7EC 512+fs.

HQPE5

1024x48
ASDM5EC Light 512+fs hires lp-N-stutter@30s
ASDM5EC Super 512+fs hires lp-N
ASDM7EC hires lp-N-stutter@45s
ASDM7ECv2 hires lp-N-stutter@45s
ASDM7ECv3 hires lp-Y
ASDM7EC Super hires lp-Y
ASDM7EC Light 512+fs hires lp-N
ASDM7EC Super 512+fs hires lp-N
AMSDM7EC 512+fs sinc-Mga-N
ASDM7ECv3 sinc-L-N
ASDM5EC sinc-Mg/Mga-N
ASDM5ECv3 sinc-Mga-N
ASDM5EC Light sinc-Mga-N
ASDM5EC Super sinc-Mga-N
ASDM7EC sinc-Mga-N
ASDM7ECv3 sinc-Mga-N
ASDM7EC Light sinc-Mga-N
ASDM7EC Super sinc-Mga-N
AMSDM7 512+fs sinc-Mg/Mga-N

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #41 of 1,407
Do u guy know how to setup qobuz on hqplayer client ? I can only see localhost option.
After selecting localhost click on the left to "album view". Then there's a drop-down menu that says "library" and when you click it you can select Qobuz.

Jun 12, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #44 of 1,407
I am new with HQP and I am trying different configurations between PCM and DSD, I really dont know what I am doing. I find the DSD quite warmer than PCM, dont know if it is my imagination or the parameters am using. Does anyone know any guide for dummies that explain what each filter do in an easy way?

fe. this is what I am using right now:
PCM
1686598086301.png

DSD
1686598106765.png

Jun 12, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #45 of 1,407
I am new with HQP and I am trying different configurations between PCM and DSD, I really dont know what I am doing. I find the DSD quite warmer than PCM, dont know if it is my imagination or the parameters am using. Does anyone know any guide for dummies that explain what each filter do in an easy way?

fe. this is what I am using right now:
PCM
1686598086301.png
DSD
1686598106765.png

There be a manual in the folder that gives descriptions, but I threw it out and just went with my ears and feelings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back