HQ-1700 - well, thanks for that A-T, Creative! ;)
May 28, 2005 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lini

Thought the last line in Citizen Kane was nosebud.
Still waiting for the HQ-2300D actually, Creative has sent me the HQ-1700 in the meantime - another new Creative headphone model over here (with an msrp of 50 Euro, iirc). Well, long story short: Thingy had already looked familiar on the first pics, and now that I got it, I can confirm: Yes, that's actually an Audio-Technica ATH-FC7 (= foldable closed portable headphone, 30 mm drivers, 104 dB/mW, and not officially distributed in Europe), the only difference being velours instead of pleather pads on the Creative version.

First impressions: decently comfy; noticable, but not really high isolation; very efficient; quite extended; somewhat Grado-like presentation (fairly forward, detailed and punchy); a bit nasal and compressed (especially at higher volumes) in midrange; a bit smallish in soundstage, but imaging seems ok nevertheless; all in all not bad at all - I'd prefer it to Sennheiser's PX 200, for example. Cable ain't very long for home use, btw - and it's actually split in two parts, which however should be conveniently reducing cable tangle for those portable remotes with headphone out...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 28, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 8
awesome, I will probably be picking up a pair of those.
Just wish they didn't put their print on the cans ;(

May 28, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 8
Found them at €45 here in Norway, while the FC-7 cost $59 + shipping from Audiocubes. Bought a pair from Audiocubes about 6 months ago, paid $72 incl. shipping and thought that was a good price.

Seems like the Portapros got themselves a worthy opponent since both Portapro and HQ-1700 are in the same pricerange here.

Agree with Rodent on the printing... I'd rather pay a little extra to have Audio-Technica printed on the phones instead of Creative, but that's just me
rolleyes.gif

May 29, 2005 at 7:21 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik S.
Found them at €45 here in Norway, while the FC-7 cost $59 + shipping from Audiocubes. Bought a pair from Audiocubes about 6 months ago, paid $72 incl. shipping and thought that was a good price.

Seems like the Portapros got themselves a worthy opponent since both Portapro and HQ-1700 are in the same pricerange here.

Agree with Rodent on the printing... I'd rather pay a little extra to have Audio-Technica printed on the phones instead of Creative, but that's just me
rolleyes.gif

Hah, yeah I've been thinking about getting them from audiocubes instead, just for the AT print
smily_headphones1.gif

Is the pleather good, or should I go for velour?

Jun 1, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Still waiting for the HQ-2300D actually, Creative has sent me the HQ-1700 in the meantime - another new Creative headphone model over here (with an msrp of 50 Euro, iirc). Well, long story short: Thingy had already looked familiar on the first pics, and now that I got it, I can confirm: Yes, that's actually an Audio-Technica ATH-FC7 (= foldable closed portable headphone, 30 mm drivers, 104 dB/mW, and not officially distributed in Europe), the only difference being velours instead of pleather pads on the Creative version.

First impressions: decently comfy; noticable, but not really high isolation; very efficient; quite extended; somewhat Grado-like presentation (fairly forward, detailed and punchy); a bit nasal and compressed (especially at higher volumes) in midrange; a bit smallish in soundstage, but imaging seems ok nevertheless; all in all not bad at all - I'd prefer it to Sennheiser's PX 200, for example. Cable ain't very long for home use, btw - and it's actually split in two parts, which however should be conveniently reducing cable tangle for those portable remotes with headphone out...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Do they osund like RS1?

Jun 1, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
Do they osund like RS1?

Honestly man, not even other grados sound like the RS-1. It's pretty unique, and cheaper (and more expensive) cans just won't be the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back