HPA labs cmoy vs JDS labs cmoy vs PA2v2 (for electronic dance music)
Jul 11, 2011 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DerangedGoose

Head-Fier
out of these three, which will give me the low-end boost im looking for? This review:

1. http://www.headfonia.com/music-on-a-budget-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout/

says the PA2v2 is better suited to "fast aggressive music" like rock, whereas the jds cmoy was warmer and more midrange oriented. how does that translate to electronic music?

HPA labs offers a 2227 based bassboost cmoy for way cheaper than JDS:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Altoids-Tin-CMOY-Amplifier-Bass-Boost-OPA2227-/230592631396?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b0645264

when I asked them how their amps differed, they said:

"Hello, Sometimes it is nice to be copied, sometimes not....Our amps differ only slightly, our's has a full ground plane on both sides of the printed circuit board. We do not offer a "switch" for our bass boost as we have found that it is not wise to have a switch in the signal path. The switch has caused many failures for us and we removed it on the last redesign. We are less costly :) I hope this information has helped. We have plenty in stock ready to ship. Regards, Deb"

Any thoughts? Some auctions said the AD823 was a better opamp. Which portable should I go with?

Jul 15, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 6
Are they implying JDS copied them?... granted the circuits do look similar...

Electronic music is a rather broad term. Are you playing the bass heavy genres or the more mid/high centric genres? In the grand scheme of things, it probably won't make that much of a difference which one you go with. 

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 6
Can I ask which one you ended up buying and whether you like it or not? I'm also in the market for a CMoy and wasn't sure if the JDS is worth the extra money although I have read rave reviews about them.

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Are they implying JDS copied them?... granted the circuits do look similar...

Electronic music is a rather broad term. Are you playing the bass heavy genres or the more mid/high centric genres? In the grand scheme of things, it probably won't make that much of a difference which one you go with. 

Not sure what they're implying. We've been around for years *shrugs*

Quote:
Can anyone help to tell me how to change the op amp on my cmoy?

From our FAQ:
  1. Changing the opamp is simple: Remove the old chip, then insert the new chip in the same direction. Semi-circle notches can be found on the socket and chips to indicate proper orientation. 

The chip sits in a socket from which it can be removed. If you do not own an IC extraction tool, use any thin, flat tool to pry the chip from its socket. A flathead screwdriver works well; needle nose pliers can also be used.

The above method applies to opamps in the standard DIP-8 package. To install a surface mount opamp, the chip must first be soldered to an appropriate SOIC-8 to DIP-8 adapter. The adapter can then be inserted into the amplifier as described above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back