HP DeskJet Ink Cartridges...
Jul 13, 2003 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

fiddler

Headphoneus Supremus
So I've got an HP Deskjet 842C printer from a couple years back. Still prints great, but the ink seems to run out much sooner than it used to.

See, some of the newer HP Deskjets appear to use the exact same cartridges apart from the different electrical contacts at the back which connects to the printer. I know because I accidentally bought the wrong one, put it in, and the cartridge wasn't recognized. Anyway, I also noticed that the cartridge that works with my printer has significantly less ink in it than the ones designed for the newer printers.

This got me to wondering, why would HP do such a thing? The cartridges are EXACTLY the same in terms of shape/size apart from the electrical contacts and ink quantity. Are they putting less ink in these on purpose to make us upgrade to new printers? I don't know if the amount of ink they put in these cartridges has decreased 'cause I didn't save the empty ones.. But it would seem that way, since I'm buying noticeably more ink than I used to, and these cartridges are damn expensive!

Do any you have any experiences with re-filling cartridges? I'm seriously considering this option at the moment..

Jul 13, 2003 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 15
Not refilling cartidges is just wrong. :p

Biggie.

Jul 14, 2003 at 5:03 AM Post #3 of 15
i just saw an ad for HPDJ3320 for $40. (OfficeMax)

how much you wanna bet that the cartridges are going for at least $20 each?
biggrin.gif
It'll cost you $40 to replace the B&W and Colour cartridges.

Jul 14, 2003 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 15
I always refill my cartridges, and have not had any problems with the printing quality.

Jul 14, 2003 at 5:40 AM Post #5 of 15
Go here and get them a little bit cheaper, or better replace the printer, I got an Epson 880 and the cartridges cost about 3~5 each here HP is a good brand but has this inconvenience the cartridges are pretty expensive, so I never got one:

http://www.tylermartin.com/

Jul 14, 2003 at 6:25 AM Post #6 of 15
I use a brother 1260 laser printer. If you don't need color, this works very well. I print alot of paper for my job, its just moe economical.

Jul 14, 2003 at 6:54 AM Post #7 of 15
Be careful if you consider the rock bottom prices in printers. I got a printer for $30ish US, but not surprisingly it gave me rock bottom performance. It took at least a minute to print a decent b&w page (no USB
eek.gif
), and only for about 200 sheets or less. Add the inconvenience of a cartridge replacement which costs more than the poor printer itself, and you've got the recipe for an HP paperweight.

Jul 14, 2003 at 1:29 PM Post #8 of 15
Okay, I'll try re-filling then. Thanks guys.

Jul 14, 2003 at 3:58 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
i just saw an ad for HPDJ3320 for $40. (OfficeMax)

how much you wanna bet that the cartridges are going for at least $20 each?
biggrin.gif
It'll cost you $40 to replace the B&W and Colour cartridges.

I'd bet the catridges are closer to $40 each. Also, that printer will come with very low capacity "trial" cartridges, that may last for 50 oages or so. Even the new cartidges suck, I go through a cartridge before I finish a ream of paper.

I've tried to refill a color cartridge and failed. I may have to try a black one at some point, but I'm thinking about just getting a laser printer and being done with all the cartridge ********. $50 for a toner cartridge good for 3500 pages, or $45 for an ink cartridge that lasts maybe 500 pages? By the time I need to buy more toner, the printer will be paid for.

Jul 14, 2003 at 4:43 PM Post #10 of 15
What a coincidence, i just refilled my cartrige for my deskjet 842c yesterday, but my printer seems to only want to print the yellow color, i guess my printer is broken. I went to office depot to get some re-fill for it at around $20. It was very easy to do, and did notice that the re-filled cartrige is much heavier than the original.

ivan

Jul 14, 2003 at 4:52 PM Post #11 of 15
Capt,

thanks. I did not ever think of HP putting in "trial" cartridges.

yeah, cartridges are a scam. if you have to buy an inkjet, start by finding out what the replacement cartridges cost. I've always pitied the people who bought 4-in-1 (B&W and Colour) catridges - when the B&W ran out, they whole cartridge had to be replaced. Since then HP has moved to separate B&W and Colour cartridges. They are still expensive, though.

When it came to colour laser printers, I always liked the film-wax printers (Lexmark, I believe) over the colour "dust" cartridges.

Jul 14, 2003 at 9:07 PM Post #12 of 15
Bah, color=dye-sublimation.

Canon's bubble-jet printeres used to have separate Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow cartridges. I allways seem to run out of Magenta first, dunno why.

Another stupid thing: printing grayscale doesn't use the black cartridge, it uses the color one, with all the colors. What a quick way to use up your ink.

Jul 15, 2003 at 8:21 AM Post #13 of 15
The advantage of HP over Epson printers (at least with the last dog Epson "Photo Stylus" printer I had -- currently dead) is that you get a new print head with each cartidge. With an Epson you replace the ink and not the head. Consequently when the print head gets clogged (inevitably) you're royally screwed and it's time to go to the repair shop. That's why I prefer HP over Epson. Their system is much smarter.

Personally, I never had any luck with refills.

Frankly, there better be something better coming down the pike. As you can tell from this forum alone, consumers are getting pretty fed up with the great ink jet rip off.

Jul 15, 2003 at 11:26 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
The advantage of HP over Epson printers (at least with the last dog Epson "Photo Stylus" printer I had -- currently dead) is that you get a new print head with each cartidge. With an Epson you replace the ink and not the head. Consequently when the print head gets clogged (inevitably) you're royally screwed and it's time to go to the repair shop. That's why I prefer HP over Epson. Their system is much smarter.

Tyler Martin also sells the cleaning cartridges for all Epson models, that virtually clean any clogged head, BTW this is the third printer Epson I had and none of them had any troubles with the heads in my hands, or any other hands after mine, so this maybe is true but doesn't apply so easy, as stated, and on the other hands with the savings on the ink I can even afford to get a new peinter every year, I got the last two times 6 cartridges (3 black and 3 color) for 30.00 including the shipping to my door in two days with them, just ot give you an idea, only one HP cost that much, I had one at work and last very few, we spent at work much more than 200.00 a year just in ink, I just spend 30.00 or even less last year, so make your math....

Jul 15, 2003 at 1:44 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by CaptBubba
Bah, color=dye-sublimation.

Canon's bubble-jet printeres used to have separate Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow cartridges. I allways seem to run out of Magenta first, dunno why.

Another stupid thing: printing grayscale doesn't use the black cartridge, it uses the color one, with all the colors. What a quick way to use up your ink.

Yeah, magenta runs out first on me too. Are there still any printers that separate the 3 colours? I may consider that for my next printer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back