HP-1 Troubles
Aug 4, 2003 at 3:13 PM Post #32 of 45
Mclaren & GPalm -- Duly noted

Rob, I'm actually not sure where the drivers are comming from. I just sort of assumed they'd be NOS as they are HP-1s and to my understanding one of the traits of them is that the drivers are supposed to be very closely matched (how HP-2s and HP-3s differ). The work that will be done to these will not be cheap and
could easily fund another respectable pair of cans... I guess for now I'd just be happy to get 'em working, but that is my hope/expectation.

Aug 4, 2003 at 3:57 PM Post #33 of 45
Congratulations. It sounds like you’ll be basically getting a new pair of headphones.

How about asking for a pair of Flat Pads while they’re in being repaired? Can’t hurt to ask.

I’m still impressed with you being able to contact Joe Grado personally. That's a great show of customer service. Please tell him for me how much I / we appreciate his headphones.

Mitch

Aug 5, 2003 at 6:48 PM Post #34 of 45
Well, if they still have HP-1 drivers, then the real question is how to get in on the action. I.e. can I buy a set of RS-1's and have them put in HP-1 drivers in there? Or actually, why bother going for top of the line. Maybe like the SR-325 driver housings, rip out the guts, and replace. Maybe even the SR-60 housing, but I'm guessing the synergy would be off.. Maybe we could bombard Joe Grado to make some more HP-1's. Where's the MERTON when you need him?

Aug 5, 2003 at 7:16 PM Post #35 of 45
i am pretty sure that joe grado is not interested in making anymore hp-1000 headphones and i would imagine that he doesn't want to get dozens of phonecalls expressing that idea.

gopher: quit complaining man, you're getting a brand new pair of the best dynamic headphones in the world! it doesn't get any better than them, and the closest thing (r10) is close to triple what you're paying. i sort of wish i could send my own hp-1's in, as there is a small dent in the cable.

also, i believe the only difference between hp-1 and hp-2 is the lack of phase switches on the latter. the hp-3 is the one with less refined driver matching (i think anyway).

anyway, good luck with them and please keep us updated.

Aug 5, 2003 at 7:46 PM Post #36 of 45
I find it quite interesting that john is offering to repair your grados at all. The drivers are suppossed to be nearly non-existent! Secondly, he says he won't be offering any more support for the hp1000s until third quarter 2004. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but perhaps a comeback?

Aug 5, 2003 at 10:52 PM Post #38 of 45
edit: snip snip

Aug 5, 2003 at 10:58 PM Post #39 of 45
That is a BUMMER.

Aug 5, 2003 at 11:02 PM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

he forwarded them on to his uncle Joe Grado

I thought Joe Grado had died. Or did he have a brother also named Joe?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2003 at 1:08 AM Post #41 of 45
I don't know why, but me, the seller and just about everyone I've talked to was under that impression---he, however, is very much alive as I spoke with him earlier today.

"Thats impossible... I had dinner with Paul Allen in Paris just 10 days ago"

Nov 22, 2003 at 1:49 PM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Gopher
I just got off the phone with John Grado and was greated with some mixed news. Unfortunatly the drivers are the culprit and they have to go.
frown.gif
Fortunatly, they're getting sent out with 2 other HP-1000 series headphones to have their drivers replaced with other hp-1000 series drivers
eek.gif
Didn't know they were still around. Joe Grado apparently is moving his home and will not be offering any sort of support for HP-1000 headphones after these three until third quarter 2004, so I guess I lucked out and just made it.

Fred

Any thoughts on what a person should do in the interim? My HP-2s seem to have developed a short that sends some form of feedback through the XP-7 and actually causes my DAC2 to loose hold of the signal for a second before it is reset. I called Joe Grado but received no follow up so I am guessing its this year off.

Nov 22, 2003 at 2:02 PM Post #44 of 45
That doesnt sound like the headphone. The dac losing lock is usually the result of the digital output on your source having dropouts in the signal or problems with the dac's input receiver. I dont see how the headphones could send feedback through the amp and to the input of the dac to cause it to lose lock.
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back