How's the weather in Scotland?
Aug 31, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not like the streets are filled with bombastic chino and brogue wearing, flat cap doffing, spontanious disney film dancing quirkily accented bankers and chimney sweeps.

so I presume gals don't really dress like this either then?

ausfotoj.jpg

Aug 31, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan1son /img/forum/go_quote.gif
May I also recommend you buy proper clothing to fit their style. Don't wear tennis shoes with pants (unless they're running pants and you're running). Wear nice looking slacks (even chinos) and nice collared (or turtle neck) shirts with brown or black comfortable, but dressy, shoes. T-Shirts and jeans will make you immediately look like an American. Kind of like a floral shirt with a camera around your neck makes you look like a tourist here. It gives people an immediate impression that you may not want.

Putting the effort in to look like a local will make a huge difference in your travels. People will be much more comfortable and will open up very easily with you. It's worth the trouble to figure out their customs before going. Seemingly simple things like tipping, ordering at a bar, grabbing a taxi, etc. can vary significantly and make you stand out.

Have fun up there.

Wow I'm flabbergasted. Your first paragraph is seriously off the mark, if not plain wrong. A lot people in the UK (I'll even go as far to say the EU) wear t-shirts and jeans. You're making it out as if the original poster is going to Sierra Leonne or some other conflict-ridden area.

Edinburgh is very nice from what I recall, much nicer than Glasgow.

And Duggeh, where did you find this little gem? The research findings on page 4, 'Sympathy should go to the French couple who marched out of the pub, complaining bitterly to each other about the poor service and British manners in general, after a 24-minute wait' hahaha

Aug 31, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow I'm flabbergasted. Your first paragraph is seriously off the mark, if not plain wrong. A lot people in the UK (I'll even go as far to say the EU) wear t-shirts and jeans.

With tennis shoes?

I found during my european travels (mainly Ireland) that when you traveled beyond the beaten path of the tourist towns people were sometimes put off by the people who made no effort to understand the local dress and etiquette. Here people wear cargo shorts and sandals to restaurants and clubs, there you'd stand in line outside waiting to get in indefinitely.

Aug 31, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #21 of 34
I think the book duggeh linked might serve you well in England, but in Scotland anytime I merely acted like I had no idea what was going on, intentionally or otherwise someone would always point me in the right direction or sort me out, always kind and sincerely helpful, etc. Most of my dealings were in Edinburgh but I spent a few weeks in Glasgow, and hit many random villages along the way. I've been to most places in the eu, sans Spain and the eastern bloc and hands down the Netherlands and Scotland require the least prep work, and allow for the most turn-key fun. Not sure if it's still the case but it seemed like the entire country was littered with good people. I've never laughed as much in my life.

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #22 of 34
I'd suggest the Kilt, with a nice floral print Hawaiian short sleeve shirt, and trainers for comfort; And perhaps an umbrella ! Be duely careful in ones choice of the umbrella colour though (solid colours are always the conservative choice here), so as not to clash with the floral shirt and tartan kilt
wink.gif

And do dance a little spontanous jig upon intervals, and I'm sure the locals will proffer gratuitous smiles~

~
smily_headphones1.gif
~

Aug 31, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can see why a pub would be a confusing place for a tourist.

I only got the chance when I was there to get a half-liter glass of black flat bitter beer...very unpleasant experience
ph34r.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's confusing about a pub?

The etiquette. I've never really noticed it before but now I think about it it's pervasive.

Sep 1, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #30 of 34
Kate Fox has also written a full length book called "Watching the English". And I cited both that book and the ealier link as references in my Honours Dissertation for Social Anthropology last year.

Her work is very heavily anglisised but people often overestimate the discrepencies between English and Scottish general social ettiquette.

I would advocate that anyone and everyone read that link I posted if only becuase its fun to read it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back