How to: World's smallest 3.5mm DIY plug
Jan 13, 2009 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Captain ?degard

Member of the Trade
Being bored as usual I started tinkering and what I ended up with is a way to make the smallest possible 3.5mm jack for DIY use in the world. Period. This thing sticks about 3mm out of the female jack when in use, that's it.

First, you need a smal plug from a IEM or other bought cable that use those plugs, like the one in use on this picture:
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...degard/dxc.jpg

Use a dremel or something the sort and cut the plut by the root, meaning the ground ring. Youll be left with a flat surface with a core (left channel), ring in the middle (right channel) and the ground ring.
Use pliers to carefully drag the plug apart into three pieces: a inner pin, barrel and outer casing:
IMG_3356-1.jpg

Cut off the pin 8left channel, inner piece) a bit up from where narrows in to become a pin. Remove the plastic around the part that remains, and solder on a wire, sticking directly out. There is so limited space so that you need to spread the individual wires and lay them around the plug, then solder to make it a "natural" extension of the pin. Cover with heatshrink:
IMG_3365.jpg

For the right channel, take another wire and remove about half of the individual wire strains if its thickish. Put on a little solder, hold half of it inside the barrel and heat the part remaining outside so the solder on the wire inside the barrel heats up and solders the wire to the inside of the barrel. There has to be enough room left for the wire from the left channl to pass. On the pic, I have more than enough room, but it depends on the wire you use.
IMG_3362.jpg

Put the pieces back together. The wire from the left channel goes through the right channel barrel and out, and it all fits back together. Solder the ground wire to the top ring of the plug, and you're all set.

IMG_3366.jpg

Of course if you do this on the other end of the cable as well, you need to thread on the right channel barrel and ground barrel before soldering the left channel tip. By far the smallest IC in the world if you do that

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #2 of 11
Nice job taking it to the extreme. I love making small right angle plugs like that, but not to that extent (yet!).

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 11
Nice job!
Can hardly be much slimmer than that, without a direct solder

Jan 13, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 11
I originally got the idea after picking up my fiio E5 at the post office. The shape is like a shuffle, only taller. I thought for a sec to get a gender bender and use them on top of one another (two of those plugs on top of one another) but the input of the fiio doesnt match the output of the fake shuffle i got (or the original)

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Ødegård /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I originally got the idea after picking up my fiio E5 at the post office. The shape is like a shuffle, only taller. I thought for a sec to get a gender bender and use them on top of one another (two of those plugs on top of one another) but the input of the fiio doesnt match the output of the fake shuffle i got (or the original)

can you elaborate on the "not matching" part? i'm really interested in this...

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Random Murderer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can you elaborate on the "not matching" part? i'm really interested in this...

Well it's still possible if you make a perfect length IC using this method.

Heres a pic showing a fiio with a (fake) shuffle and the placement of the headphoen out of the shuffle and the line in of the fiio. real shuffles have the jack in the same place

IMG_3382.jpg

If the jack of the shuffle had matched the in jack of the fiio, you could have used a gender bender (reeeeally tiny one if such a thing exists) to just flip the jack into the amp and have basically one part player and amp that matches perfectly.
The same thign can as i said be done if you make an interconnect between the two points and find a way to hold them together

Jan 16, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Well it's still possible if you make a perfect length IC using this method.

Heres a pic showing a fiio with a (fake) shuffle and the placement of the headphoen out of the shuffle and the line in of the fiio. real shuffles have the jack in the same place

IMG_3382.jpg

If the jack of the shuffle had matched the in jack of the fiio, you could have used a gender bender (reeeeally tiny one if such a thing exists) to just flip the jack into the amp and have basically one part player and amp that matches perfectly.
The same thign can as i said be done if you make an interconnect between the two points and find a way to hold them together

why not just flip the amp over? wouldn't that work?

Jan 16, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Sure but it wouldnt be as flush and frankly im not sure a gender bender like im talking about exists

you could always make one, i'm not sure how, though.

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Random Murderer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why not just flip the amp over? wouldn't that work?

Somebody should really get a shuffle + E5 rig
atsmile.gif

anyways nice plug u made there.You should try buying coloured heatshrink to cover the ugly wires.
duggehsmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back