How to keep headphone addiction alive with no money to spend?
Aug 2, 2006 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

GlorytheWiz825

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't know about you guys, but I am personally very short on money these days. I barely have enough to cover my tuition for next month, let alone my living expenses. That being said, I don't have any enough left over to buy luxury items such as headphones. And don't tell me that headphones are not luxury items but necessities. :p Anyway, the point is...how do you guys keep your love for headphones alive without having money to spend? I have listened to all my headphones a great deal and am really looking for something new to try. Shall I put my headphones on the trading block and see what I can get in return? What do you guys suggest?

Aug 2, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 27
Yeah, that would be one way to go about getting new cans is to sell or the trade the current cans that you have for something you want to try in the fs forum.

Aug 2, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 27
You can always sell blood and organs. I mean, who really need 2 kidneys anyway?
blink.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 27
Buy 1 used headphone. Then sell it for the same price and buy another used headphone at the same price. This way, you can keep trying out headphones without ever losing any money. Or rob a bank.

Aug 2, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 27
You've got to trade on around to different models of headphone, there's really no other way. Most headphones seem to keep value pretty well, fortunately. The downside to this is that you can't compare your old headphone directly with your new headphone.

Aug 2, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 27
You could start listening to new kinds of music. CD's arent as expensive as new headphones or amps/dacs.

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty
You could start listening to new kinds of music. CD's arent as expensive as new headphones or amps/dacs.

I have to agree with this one. CD's(used or new) are your best option without spending big amounts of cash to get hooked to your headphone addiction. You get to save cash and listen to new sounds. You could even ask some of the forumers for some of their recommended artists or discs. Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
You can always sell blood and organs. I mean, who really need 2 kidneys anyway?
blink.gif

Yeah, and who needs two lungs?

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #9 of 27
I get around the money issue by trawling ebay and buying old/cheap cans. I have some HD535's that I bought for 9 UKP including delivery (A little over $15) , some Audi-Technica ATH-2's I paid a little more for and my HD590's have just arrived for a similar sum (In need of repair). There are others as well.

I have a lot of fun listening to and comparing them all, I'm confident I'll get my money back (or something very close) if I sell them. The HD535's are going nowhere though, they are my main at-home cans now despite how little i paid for them.

Simon

Aug 2, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #11 of 27
1) Ramen
2) public transit
3) Buy Used
4) brown bag lunches
5) KSC75
6) music downloads, & www stores for CD discounts

Aug 2, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #12 of 27
The only solution to your case is to attend as many meetings as you can, otherwise wait till you grasduate....
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #13 of 27
I trade.

I dont have the money to devote to buying headphones, so instead I trade.

Trading is very risky for a few reasons: Of course you can get burned (just check people's feedback though) and probably the most risky of all is that you trade for a headphone you do not like.

I started off buy buying a decently middle end headphone, a pair of Ultrasones. That I traded for a pair of Beyer's and now I'm going to trade those for another set of Beyer's. So far I've actually been very happy and had greate trades.

I personally find it simply very rewarding to try new headphones, especially those that you know are good but you're trying a new sound.

Trading is fun, IMO and a great way to experiment with equipment you might not otherwise get to try.

Aug 3, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #14 of 27
i'm at the point where i no longer feel an urgent need for something new. My headphone addiction stay alive just by reading headfi two hours a day : )

You can always trade. I traded my MS1 for DT250-250 and a few months later for K271S, with no let loss and positive trading experience with people around here. The hobby can be fun with money restraint.

Aug 3, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #15 of 27
how bouts get a part time job?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back