How to hang large posters?
Jan 25, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #17 of 22
i second the 3m sticky things

Jan 25, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #18 of 22
For all my posters I mounted them on some foam core then proceeded to hang them. I once got bored so i took some velcro and tested on a piece of foam core. Obviously don't do this on a painted wall as it will fall off and pull the paint, but otherwsie found that the one velcor pad's adhesive was not powerful enough to support a large piece. But i always like the solid look of having it mounted a sturdy board.

Jan 26, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #19 of 22
It's just a print right (not limited edition or signed)? If so, mounting it on foam core is a pretty good idea, but be aware that foam core will bow over time if not framed (you could just mount it for now and use plastic hanging tabs on the back and then frame it in a few months). With that sort of art, a thin Neilsen (metal) frame will work well and won't be too expensive. That said, if you can afford to frame it right away I'd recommend it, a frame will provide much better protection. Make sure that they use archival foam core and UV filtering glass or acrylic (if you don't your picture will discolor over time, lightening from the UV light and browning from the acids in the non-archival foam core). If you have any questions about framing, PM me, I managed framing stores for 4-5 years.

Jan 27, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #21 of 22
I'm not sure where to get them or even what they are called (helpful, huh?), but they make these things that look like two rods. One attached to the bottom, and is weighted to hold the poster flat. The identical looking top one has a little rope attached to it so you can hang it on a nail. They used these at the school of art (UW) to switch out show posters, since it happened so often. Simple and effective.

Jan 27, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by bpm2000
I'm not sure where to get them or even what they are called (helpful, huh?), but they make these things that look like two rods. One attached to the bottom, and is weighted to hold the poster flat. The identical looking top one has a little rope attached to it so you can hang it on a nail. They used these at the school of art (UW) to switch out show posters, since it happened so often. Simple and effective.

Oooh! Idea. Get some hollow brass tubing from a hobby store and some foam self adhesive weather stripping. Cut a slit down the length of the brass tube and pry the tube apart to create a gap. Cut two lengths of the foam (probably in half lengthwise as well) and apply to either side of the slit. Clamp the tubing back down onto your desired poster, with the foam sandwiching the poster, and then run a length of string through the tube for hanging.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXR823&P=ML

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...16H&lpage=none

Why the possibilities are endless!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back