How To: Grado Cable Mod
Jul 18, 2011 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

markkr

1000+ Head-Fier
I looked everywhere for a guide on removing the annoying "Y" in the factory Grado cable, I couldn't find one so I made my own.

This is a guide that uses a Grado cable from my 225i. Its the newer 8 conductor cable.

Tools required: 1 sharp Xacto knife, strong fingers, patience...

Here we go

Begin by SCORING the plastic cover for the cable above the "Y". Do NOT cut all the way through the cover.

After scoring the cover, carefully start the cut by placing your Xacto knife inside the cover. Be cautious no to cut the internal conductors.

It should be easy to hold the conductors with one hand, and the cover with the other and pull them apart from each other. (the score line should take care if this easily)

Once you reach the "Y", cut the cover away. Again be CAREFUL not to cut the conductors.... obviously repeat for the other side

Removing the "Y"

Using your Xacto, begin cutting slowly (over and over) as pictured. You are only going to cut until you just barely make it through (by looking at the end of the "Y" and NOT cutting the cable sheath)

Cut through the center of the "Y" about the depth of the tip of your Xacto knife. This is so you will be able to "filet" the "Y"

Using your fingers only, you should be able to pull the "Y" apart, not that you should NEVER cut deep enough to damage any cable sheath. At this point the lower cable should be loose in the "Y" and you should be able to pull it down out of the "Y"

Carefully, pull the 2 sets of 4-conductor channels through the "Y"

Tie the channels together, to keep the exact configuration as the factory assembled (not entirely necessary, but I'm OCD)

You have now liberate the "Y". I suggest cutting another 2"-3" back from the cable to compensate for braiding.

choose your favorite 4 wire braid, and braid the channels together

Add a nice piece of 3-1 heatshrink between the braid and the original cable sheath and enjoy...

Jul 19, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 25
Nope, I taped the cable to the edge of my desk, and used my fingers.

Lay all 4 wires out in the color pattern you want. (I used an "every other" pattern... ex. red, blue, red, blue)
Take the left most wire and cross over the next 2 wires and under the last.
repeat over and over...

Quote:
Did you use a jig for the braid?

Thanks, Brendan

Jul 20, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #7 of 25
Thanks, this is pretty much the first time I've braided in my life. I found a link on how to braid... just followed the instructions.

Quote:
Looks **** good for freehand, that's why, probably alot of practice haha.

Jul 20, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #8 of 25
That's pretty sweet. I would leave it unsleeved because the braids look so cool!

Jul 20, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 25
Thanks. I did. Here's a picture of the final product(s) One is a 325is the other is 225i

Sep 23, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #11 of 25
One thing I've found after using this for a while now, if you dont braid REALLY tight... the cable tangles easily. Make sure you take your time and braid it very tight

Nov 5, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #12 of 25
What's the purpose of such, does it improves SQ or is it an aesthetics upgrade?

Nov 5, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #13 of 25
Its cosmetic, and it makes the cable slightly easier to manage without the clunky molded plastic "Y" .

Nov 5, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #14 of 25
ahh. I was thinking how could braided cables improve the sound over stock haha. Thanks for explaining!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back