How to go from here? (Had AKG K553 Pro)
Jan 18, 2019 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

iCupboard

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, Head-Fi! I have asked this question on Reddit too, but I figured I could get both insights from both websites.

I have a question.

Right now, I have a Sony H9100N, which is a noice cancellation headphone. Before I had the AKG K553 Pro.

The AKG K553 pro was a really nice headphone. I loved the openness for a closed headphone, and the clarity is amazing. All great!

Then I needed a new headphone because of the cable that broke on the K553 pro, and I bought a Sony H9100N, which is a noise cancellation headphone. I loved the noise cancellation and Bluetooth function on this! And I loved the richer bass. When I tried the AKG K553 pro, I was amazed again by now clear and open this headphone was sounding.

But I missed the bass that the H9100N provided.

So now my question. What headphone would you recommend that retains the clarity of the AKG and the openness, but has a bit richer bass?

I would like the headphone to have this:

-either a (shorter) cable that is removable, or Bluetooth

-Noise cancellation is nice, but if this impedes sound quality, I don't want it.

-Relatively easy to on a mobile phone. (My phone is the Huawei P20 pro) And otherwise a somewhat inexpensive amp and dac.

Music I listen to: Everything, except for rap. Mostly Acapella, pop, powermetal, and Brassband music. (And audiobooks)

Jan 18, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #3 of 7
So now my question. What headphone would you recommend that retains the clarity of the AKG and the openness, but has a bit richer bass?
---
Relatively easy to on a mobile phone. (My phone is the Huawei P20 pro) And otherwise a somewhat inexpensive amp and dac.

Why not just try EQ first and boost everything below 100hz on the K553 Pro?

Jan 18, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 7
This would be a good idea. But the headphone is not amplified enough on my phone, and my k553 pro is still, unfortunately, broken. I just tried it. But I can't use it for long periods of time.

You can just buy a K553 (MkII) again somewhere and if you get distortion buy the DAC-HPamp to help manage it with more power and current and higher damping factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back