how to get the most out of my grado hf2s
Mar 29, 2011 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dacherne

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm looking for advice on my current set up and would like to know how i can improve upon it to get the most out of my grado hf2s.

i currently have a pico amp/dac which is connected to my macbook pro via a usb cable. i am using itunes to play my music and it is all at a decent bit rate (320).

any suggestions?

thanks

Mar 29, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 12
Hi,

The HF2 is probably my favorite current Grado. It served me well when I had it. If you can I would start at moving from mp3 to a lossless format. What is your budget? You can get pretty crazy. You can get something like the Headroom Micro Amp and you'll hear an improvement. I had the famed Gilmore Lite and loved it. They can be found pretty cheap on the Sales Forum. Maybe something like the Little Dot MKII if tubes are your thing. I used the DacMagic with good success. You can probably use the DAC with your Pico even though an upgrade will likely get results.

There are many choices to suit every budget.

Mar 29, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 12
use the dac of your pico + gilmore lite or maple tree ear+.. might sell my gilmore lite soon if I decide to sell my ms2's hehe.

Mar 29, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:Originally Posted by dacherne 

"I have tried apple lossless and I dont notice a difference at all..."

I find there is a difference. Many who download hi-rez files hear a difference. Let me put it this way, having lossless files will not and can not HURT your setup or it's sonics but can only IMPROVE it. Storage space is cheap.

Mar 29, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #7 of 12
For the price, i've heard the Little dot I+ does a good job with grados. 

Mar 29, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #8 of 12
what is the point of wasting my time going to lossless if i cant notice a difference with the gear i have?

Quote:

"I have tried apple lossless and I dont notice a difference at all..."

I find there is a difference. Many who download hi-rez files hear a difference. Let me put it this way, having lossless files will not and can not HURT your setup or it's sonics but can only IMPROVE it. Storage space is cheap.

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #9 of 12

"what is the point of wasting my time going to lossless if i cant notice a difference with the gear i have?"

Once you improve the gear you might be able to hear the difference.

Mar 29, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:

"what is the point of wasting my time going to lossless if i cant notice a difference with the gear i have?"

Once you improve the gear you might be able to hear the difference.

X2

every little component you upgrade, especially your Amp/DAC will make an improvement on the sound. Of Course, The Headphones matter the most, but it helps if you have good units handling your music upstream.
What I must strongly suggest is - If you don't plan on getting some High-Z cans (north of 300 ohms) later on, and would like to stick with the Grados - Get an amplifier that can work well at 32ohms. I find that even though the Power requirements are minimal for headphones, plugging 32 ohm cans into an amp that is set to drive 300 ohm loads can really heat up the electronics, lowering useful lifespan of your equipment(although as most Headfiers can attest, our fidelity towards our equipment is somewhat questionable
biggrin.gif
)

An Amp with a Variable Gain setting might be useful, for later Cans To Come.

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #11 of 12
what do you mean by high z cans? and what would you recommend? I think for my second set of cans i would like a closed design that it is a little more comfortable than the hf2s.

Mar 30, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #12 of 12
"Z" is used as shorthand for impedance. For headphones, 32 Ohms is pretty low. Avoid the inexpensive OTL tube amps. They almost always have an output impedance higher than 32 Ohms - not something you want. Output impedance should be lower than headphone impedance, the lower the better. You'd need output transformers to get low impedance from tubes. That's not going to happen under $500.

Under $500, you'll need to go solid state. Take a look at that new $300 Dynalo. A lot of people like the Schiit, though I haven't heard one. The M^3 and CK2III turn up in that price range - both excellent amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back