How to get started with Hi-Res audio? Just purchased first DAC.
Feb 25, 2021 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

skhan007

1000+ Head-Fier
I just bought a RME ADI-2 DAC/headphone amp capable of really high resolution (32bit/768 kHz). This was based on serval recommendations from Head Fi members and me reading a lot of reviews. It will arrive in a couple of days. My plan is to have hi-res files and/or streaming on my MacBook and listen with some really good headphones (currently have some OK sounding Sony MDR, but looking at Senn, Focal, or others next). How do you guys recommend I get started?

Here's what I know: There are several streaming services out there to choose from and they have various monthly rates for hi-res audio streaming. Tidal, Amazon HD, Qobuz, and there are likely more. Some allow me to also purchase albums in hi-res (I believe FLAC files).

For example Qobuz is a service for streaming and/or purchasing hi-res audio (24 bit/192 kHz) while HD Tracks is a purchase site for hi-res that also offers some music in multiple hi-res formats, including DSD and MQA (I know nothing about these formats, but they're supposedly top-notch). To play FLAC files on my MacBook, I have the VOX Media Player but would download a different one, if recommended.

For those of you enjoying hi-res audio, what do you suggest I do to get started? Which service do you like? Any tips are appreciated, as the choices seem vast and I don't know where to start.

Feb 26, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 7
My best advice is to first start a playlist where you only accept the highest production value tracks. This is a great way to ensure your music stays at a very high level of quality. As far as bit rates and depths it's not as important due to the science behind high quality compression and what we can actually hear. For that I suggest just chose the service you like and can find most of the music you like. Personally I use Apple Music and Amazon Prime Music.

The HiFiMAN HE-400i ( 2020 version ) is a great headphone to get started into some serious listening. Great measurements, comfortable for hours, and good build quality especially for the price.

Feb 27, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 7
About choosing a streaming service, making sure the service has the content you want to listen to is #1 imo. However, following that, assuming both a lossy service and a lossless service contain what you need, then going with lossless does make a difference. I have Spotify and Tidal, and I can certainly hear the difference between the same song on Spotify and Tidal. I tried Qobuz as well and I enjoyed it but the interface wasn't as good and the music selection is smaller. Plus BestBuy has good deal on new Tidal subscriptions. You could take advantage of that too.

That said, Spotify easily has the biggest selection of content and they plan to offer lossless quality streaming later this year. So, keep that in mind.

Feb 27, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #4 of 7
Feb 27, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 7
About choosing a streaming service, making sure the service has the content you want to listen to is #1 imo. However, following that, assuming both a lossy service and a lossless service contain what you need, then going with lossless does make a difference. I have Spotify and Tidal, and I can certainly hear the difference between the same song on Spotify and Tidal. I tried Qobuz as well and I enjoyed it but the interface wasn't as good and the music selection is smaller. Plus BestBuy has good deal on new Tidal subscriptions. You could take advantage of that too.

That said, Spotify easily has the biggest selection of content and they plan to offer lossless quality streaming later this year. So, keep that in mind.

Is the deal for $80/year with the Pop Smoke vinyl? That's... honestly not bad (given the normal monthy rate works out to $240/year). Might do that despite no real interest in the album.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 7
Is the deal for $80/year with the Pop Smoke vinyl? That's... honestly not bad (given the normal monthy rate works out to $240/year). Might do that despite no real interest in the album.
The deal was $99 for 1 year of Tidal Hifi for new accounts. I see that it's not showing up anymore. Interesting. It was showing just earlier today when I linked it.

Edit: Nevermind, the deal is still there. I just forgot you have to be logged into Bestbuy to see it.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #7 of 7
The deal was $99 for 1 year of Tidal Hifi for new accounts. I see that it's not showing up anymore. Interesting. It was showing just earlier today when I linked it.

Edit: Nevermind, the deal is still there. I just forgot you have to be logged into Bestbuy to see it.

I didn't see anything about "for new accounts" -- if you buy the album for $30 you get a year of hifi (and the album) for $80. So... even better. I ordered it. Will let everyone know what I receive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back