How to get internet on two desktops at home?
Nov 17, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #17 of 19
Direct cabling is not an option unless your house is already wired. Then wireless is way to go. I'd choose USB adapter rather than PCI adaptor. Just make sure you read reviews before you buy one.

I got a cheap USB adaptor that works. But it's signal reception is tad weak, and it goes crazy whenever I try to use some applications, that makes the USB adaptor rather useless.

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #18 of 19
I just bought the linksys wireless g adapter from target

so far performance is terrible. i keep losing the signal every few minutes,
and the signal is rather weak so pages load very slowly.
maybe i've done something wrong with installation, or is the product just bad?
any tips on how to get a good signal?

the adapter is 2 rooms away from the router...maybe...600 square feet, which is in the advertised range.

edit:
i have a linksys g wireless router

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #19 of 19
Try adjusting the antenna of your router. The omni-directional antennas do have a RF radiation pattern which changes depending on the angle of the client antenna to it.

Also, under the wireless NIC management software, check to see how many wireless networks are out there using the same channel as you are. If there are other wireless networks, particularly those with strong signal strengths, using the same channel as you are, you can be suffering from interference. Also other devices like cordless phones, microwaves, and the like operate on the same 2.4 GHz frequency which can be sources of interference. Change the channel of your wireless network to a not so busy channel to see if this improves your connection. Channels 1, 6, and 11 are the preferred channels as they are non-overlapping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back