How to get audio from my sound card when I connect my computer to my HDTV?
Sep 21, 2014 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

apav

New Head-Fier
Hello I have an odd question. 
color]
 I'm using a Creative Sound Blaster ZXR with my PC. I mainly game on my computer, but some times I like to play games with my controller in bed, so I have an HDMI cable running from my GTX 780 to my HDTV across the room. The audio from my sound card isn't passing through my GPU to the HDMI cable to my HDTV because I'm not getting any sound, so I'm wondering if there is a way to do this? I do not have the Nvidia HD audio driver installed and onboard audio is disabled in my BIOS (to make sure I don't have any issues with other audio drivers), which is most likely why there is no sound. What if I ran a S/PDIF cable from the back of my soundcard to my TV? I don't have one so I can't test it out yet, but I'd like to know if this is possible before I go out and buy one. 

Thanks 
smile.gif

Sep 21, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 12
My old motherboard (MSI P6N Diamond) has a 2 pin spdif output header on it, which can connect to a similar 2 pin spdif plug on my GPU (GTX 260), passing the digital audio from the onboard sound to the graphics card to be sent through the DVI output. If you have similar pins and plugs on your sound card and graphics card, you may be able to do the same.

I do have a SB Z card, which doesn't have the necessary spdif out pins, so unfortunately for you the ZxR probably doesn't either.

Sep 21, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 12
  My old motherboard (MSI P6N Diamond) has a 2 pin spdif output header on it, which can connect to a similar 2 pin spdif plug on my GPU (GTX 260), passing the digital audio from the onboard sound to the graphics card to be sent through the DVI output. If you have similar pins and plugs on your sound card and graphics card, you may be able to do the same.

I do have a SB Z card, which doesn't have the necessary spdif out pins, so unfortunately for you the ZxR probably doesn't either.

You have a TOSLINK optical out on your card, like I do on my ZXR's daughter board. That isn't the same as spdif? I thought optical and spdif were the same.

im not sure what you are trying to do. why don't you just use nvidia hdmi audio? 

Because I have a sound card, if I can send that audio to my TV why would I want to use inferior onboard audio instead? Besides, I've had issues with conflicting audio drivers in the past with my sound card, so I keep my onboard disabled. If it's not possible then I'll have to use Nvidia's HD Audio, and I realize the difference will be negligible with my TV's speakers, but if I can do it then why not?

Sep 21, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #5 of 12
  You have a TOSLINK optical out on your card, like I do on my ZXR's daughter board. That isn't the same as spdif? I thought optical and spdif were the same.

Yes, but your graphics card doesn't have a toslink input. Your graphics card might not even have any spdif input anyway.

This is what I was talking about. My graphics card and MB are over 6 years old, maybe they don't include those sort of connections these days.

Sep 21, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 12

Because I have a sound card, if I can send that audio to my TV why would I want to use inferior onboard audio instead? Besides, I've had issues with conflicting audio drivers in the past with my sound card, so I keep my onboard disabled. If it's not possible then I'll have to use Nvidia's HD Audio, and I realize the difference will be negligible with my TV's speakers, but if I can do it then why not?

Audio over HDMI is digital. Unless you want to use the effects in the sound blaster control panel, it makes no difference where the digital signal comes from.

Sep 21, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 12
  Yes, but your graphics card doesn't have a toslink input. Your graphics card might not even have any spdif input anyway.

This is what I was talking about. My graphics card and MB are over 6 years old, maybe they don't include those sort of connections these days.

I have DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI and Displayport ports on my GPU, but couldn't I run an optical cable from the optical out on my sound card to the optical in on my TV? That wouldn't carry over my computer's audio to the TV?

Sep 21, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 12
  I have DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI and Displayport ports on my GPU, but couldn't I run an optical cable from the optical out on my sound card to the optical in on my TV? That wouldn't carry over my computer's audio to the TV?

Yes, of course you can do that. Sorry, I was under the impression you wanted/needed to send the audio to the TV through the HDMI cable.

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 12
My bad! 
smile.gif
It isn't necessary, I just wanted to know if I could send the sound card's audio through the HDMI cable plugged into my GPU, more for the convenience of not needing an optical cable or having to run 2 cables to my TV.

Well, then I guess my next question should be do you think my semi trained audiophile ears will be able to hear the difference between my sound card and onboard through my TV's speakers? I have a 42LN5300 if it matters. The TV is spectacular, but like most TV's the speakers are average.  

Hah, I just thought of two more options. I could just turn on my speakers (Logitech Z523, they're pretty good in my opinion but then again I've never heard premium audiophile speakers, so if I ever do I'll probably henceforth think of my Z523s as crap) but since they're to the right of me, the TV option probably is better. Or I could get an extension cord for my DT 990 Pro, but the audio fidelity is already degraded a little from plugging it into the ACM instead of directly into the card, so would a 10 ft extension cord degrade it even more?

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #10 of 12
  Well, then I guess my next question should be do you think my semi trained audiophile ears will be able to hear the difference between my sound card and onboard through my TV's speakers? I have a 42LN5300 if it matters. The TV is spectacular, but like most TV's the speakers are average.

If the audio is going to the TV through the spdif or HDMI, there will be no difference between onboard, Nvidia HD audio, or the sound card. Again, it's a digital signal, all of those options will be using the DAC which is built into the TV. Unless you want to use the digital effects in the SB control panel, i think the best option is to use Nvidia HD audio because it is sent over the HDMI cable so you don't need to run two cables.

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #11 of 12
  If the audio is going to the TV through the spdif or HDMI, there will be no difference between onboard, Nvidia HD audio, or the sound card. Again, it's a digital signal, all of those options will be using the DAC which is built into the TV. Unless you want to use the digital effects in the SB control panel, i think the best option is to use Nvidia HD audio because it is sent over the HDMI cable so you don't need to run two cables.

I thought there would be some benefit from using the audio from my sound card through an optical cable to my TV (besides the digital effects in the SB control panel). I'm still a newbie when it comes to audio. So what you're saying is, all digital signals are of the same quality, but it comes down to how well a DAC converts it into an analog signal and how good your headphone/speakers are? That's why, if I'm using audiophile grade headphones or speakers, I'm able to clearly hear the difference between onboard and a dedicated DAC/Amp combo or a good sound card?

Sorry went off topic a bit, but your last post really made me wonder how that really works.

I'll install Nvidia's HD audio, I just hope it won't give me issues like it did with my last sound card. Is there a way to configure it so it will only use the Nvidia HD audio when I connect to my TV?

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #12 of 12
  I'll install Nvidia's HD audio, I just hope it won't give me issues like it did with my last sound card. Is there a way to configure it so it will only use the Nvidia HD audio when I connect to my TV?

I think in windows if you set the ZxR speakers as default, than plug in the HDMI and set it as default, it will switch to the Nvidia audio when it's plugged in and switch back when it's not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back