How to fix a wrinkled tie
Jun 5, 2008 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

intoflatlines

Headphoneus Supremus
How it happened: I went to a wedding and spilled some red wine on my tie. I wasn't too happy and someone told me to get some club soda and put it on the tie right away, so I did. I put the club soda on and rubbed the tie and the red wine disappeared, but when the tie dried it was very wrinkled where the club soda was. I am not sure if I did the damage with too much club soda or from the rubbing.

I took it to the dry cleaners and they cleaned it but it's still wrinkled. I'm thinking that if they didn't fix it then there's probably no way that I could. I want to fix it because this is my first tie over $40, and that's a lot for a student. Any suggestions, Member's Lounge?

Jun 5, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 14
Take a tea pot and steam the tie.

Or you could use a pot and hang the tie over the pot (with partly covered lid) while it boils.

If yu have an iron that does steam - use that, but do not make contact with the tie.

Jun 5, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 14
Ah women... we'd be lost without them.
wink.gif

Jun 5, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a tea pot and steam the tie.

Or you could use a pot and hang the tie over the pot (with partly covered lid) while it boils.

If yu have an iron that does steam - use that, but do not make contact with the tie.

x2

If you have an iron, it almost certainly has a steam setting which will work much more quickly than a teapot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #8 of 14
If the interfacing, the stuff inside that makes gives the tie some stiffness, is wrinkled, it's unfixable without a lot of effort. If it's just the fabric, and the fabric wasn't ruined by the club soda or rubbing, steaming should work.

In the future, try it first on the back of the tie, or as cleaning instructions often say, in an inconspicuous spot. Some fabrics don't like some liquids. Also try blotting instead of rubbing.

Jun 6, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #11 of 14
Damp and iron it. Quite simple really..

Jun 6, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #12 of 14
A tie is just a piece of decorative fabric, folded over a piece of stiffer interfacing matrix, which is tacked or stapled together on the backside. If the tie is really messed up, try undo-ing the tack (a tack is a small stitch of fabric that holds two pieces together; it can easily be replaced by hand stitching).

Your tie is probably crumpled because the interfacing is crumpled. Try un-tacking the tie, smoothing the interfacing (gentle iron with steam and low heat) and re-tacking the tie. Might be all you need.

Some ties might even have the decorative surface fabric glued or bonded to the interfacing...obviously this could be trouble, if the glue layer was screwed up. In that case, scrap the tie, it isn't worth the time/effort to save.

If the tie is silk, you must be careful not to stress the fibers too hard with heat, or lateral stress (across the tie...silk is actually quite strong along the direction of the fiber). So use gentle steam and the low heat settings on your iron.

If the tie is synthetic, it can take more abuse, and might be worth taking to a dry-cleaner.

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #13 of 14
lots of good information for suggestion already but if the dry cleaner was reputable, try first to take it back and do a spot check or request a redo. Hope it works out for you,

Jun 6, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A tie is just a piece of decorative fabric, folded over a piece of stiffer interfacing matrix, which is tacked or stapled together on the backside. .

Thank you Mr. Data! Or is it Mr. Spock?
biggrin.gif

I kid because I care.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back