How to connect an amp to Xonar STX?
May 22, 2010 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Rayz

100+ Head-Fier
Hallo.
I'm about to buy a SPL Auditor amp for my K701, for now i'm "amping" my K701 by ASUS Xonar Essence STX's amp slot.
And when i'll get my amp I want to connect it to my Xonar Essence.

How should I do that?
Will I need any adapter?
Can I connect it to STX's amp slot? and If I do, how it's works? (both are amps, could make any clash)

Thanks!

May 22, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #4 of 19
If you want to use the line out from the STX you will need a pair of RCA to XLR  cables as the Auditor only takes XLR in. If you want to use the STX as a transport and use it's SPDIF out then you will need a DAC. If the DAC has XLR outputs then you can use XLR cables to connect it to the Auditor otherwise you will also need RCA to XLR cables.

Do not use the STX's headphone out to feed your amp, you will gain nothing by doing so.
Quote:
Hallo.
I'm about to buy a SPL Auditor amp for my K701, for now i'm "amping" my K701 by ASUS Xonar Essence STX's amp slot.
And when i'll get my amp I want to connect it to my Xonar Essence.

How should I do that?
Will I need any adapter?
Can I connect it to STX's amp slot? and If I do, how it's works? (both are amps, could make any clash)

Thanks!

Something that will convert SPDIF to XLR is a DAC ;p
Quote:
That thing has XLR wiring, so you will probably need to figure how to get XLR wiring from your audio card to that thing.. Or something that will convert S/PDIF to XLR.. Or DAC.. 

May 22, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 19
Of course not, SPDIF is a digital signal and would render the the STX entirely pointless, not to mention that the amp receives analogue signals (and makes them more powerful, as that the signal can drive powerful headphones). 

Quote:
i guess u need the amp to accept spdif, correct me if im wrong.

May 22, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #6 of 19
I think that RCA to XLR cables are best solution (at least cheapest). But kinda doubt it will sound great.. STX itself isnt exactly pinacle of sound quality. Not even PC sound quality.. 

May 22, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #7 of 19
What do you mean by not even pc sound quality? IMHO the STX isn't amazingly awesome but it's not particularly a slouch either.

Quote:
I think that RCA to XLR cables are best solution (at least cheapest). But kinda doubt it will sound great.. STX itself isnt exactly pinacle of sound quality. Not even PC sound quality.. 

May 22, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #8 of 19
Its hardly enough.. even Forte is better than STX (at least with default OPAMPs.. and both are beaten down by Bravura, which is amazingly awesome. :D

I would probably use STX as gaming only card, for listening (especially with AKG 701) I would get proper DAC+AMP.

May 22, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 19
You people talking like there's no any good way to connect it to STX. (but a lot of people here using STX\PC as source)

SPDIF won't works, and XLR-RCA will reduce the sound quallity.
Then what should I do?

Mescalamba, STX's has a DAC.
I don't understand you people, STX is one of the best sound-card for PC.

May 22, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
Its hardly enough.. even Forte is better than STX (at least with default OPAMPs.. and both are beaten down by Bravura, which is amazingly awesome. :D

I would probably use STX as gaming only card, for listening (especially with AKG 701) I would get proper DAC+AMP.

That's funny, not that I've heard them, but most people I know agree the the STX rules for music while the Forte is your typical gaming option. YMMV I guess

May 22, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #11 of 19

What makes you say that using a XLR-RCA cable will reduce the sound quality? Granted you're not using the full potential of the balanced inputs but that's not to say the quality will be worse because you're using that cable.
Quote:
You people talking like there's no any good way to connect it to STX. (but a lot of people here using STX\PC as source)

SPDIF won't works, and XLR-RCA will reduce the sound quallity.
Then what should I do?

Mescalamba, STX's has a DAC.
I don't understand you people, STX is one of the best sound-card for PC.

Have you heard any of the cards you're mentioning? Looking at the specs of the Bravura I don't see anything that screams "amazingly awesome." Also, the Bravura has Creative's chip in it so I'd think it would actually work better as a gaming sound card.
Quote:

May 22, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 19
Ive tested couple of ASUS soundcards, ST amongs them (its same as STX, only its PCI not PCIe .. which in fact is tiny bit better .. STX is PCIe converted ST).

I had Forte, now I have Bravura. ST is quite good, but sounds bit on tin can side (probably due OPAMPs, which I dont know if will affect sound via RCA-to-XLR). Forte sounds really good, but Bravura is way better than this. Tough, on other side, my old Audigy 2 ZS with kX drivers sounds great too. :) In fact better and more pleasant to my ears than Forte or ST/X.

Most of soundcards have DAC, but quality is not comparable to regular DAC. They are sometimes close, but if you compare it to some decent DAC, its not that good. Using soundcard as source for amp isnt bad idea and for lots of ppl its very affordable idea, but separated DAC is bit better. You wont believe until you hear I guess.

If you think that Creative chip is just for gaming. :) Heh..

AKG 701 are very demanding headphones (as much demanding as your ears are) and definetly not forgiving. They can sound really great, if you hit right combo.. or downright tragic, if you dont. Thats why quite a lot of ppl doesnt like them. On opposite site, those who have that "right combo" or just bad hearing, likes them. :) Definetly not begginers headphones as I learned fast.. 

PS: I believe that theres lot of ppl that believe in "brands". Well, ASUS does lots of things.. in fact almost everything you can imagine. But that really doesnt mean that they do that good. Usually, they just know how to sell it, nothing else. Thats why I didnt post any review about those soundcards I tested. Cause ASUS wouldnt be exactly pleased with results and that would probably result in ASUS not liking that certain site.. which would mean no more good things from ASUS for that site .. which lead to editor saying "No." Thats how our world works. :)

May 22, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
What makes you say that using a XLR-RCA cable will reduce the sound quality? Granted you're not using the full potential of the balanced inputs but that's not to say the quality will be worse because you're using that cable.

Have you heard any of the cards you're mentioning? Looking at the specs of the Bravura I don't see anything that screams "amazingly awesome." Also, the Bravura has Creative's chip in it so I'd think it would actually work better as a gaming sound card.

That's what i'm talking about- I won't get the full potential 'cause of the adapter...

May 23, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #14 of 19

I have DAC's and I'm not saying that the STX is a replacement for them, I just disagree with your statement that implies that the STX isn't even worthy of "PC sound"

The creative chip in the Baruva is the CA0110. It's not there only for gaming, but amongst it's functions are EAX, 3D sound effects, and Creative ALchemy support for legacy games; those are features that aren't exactly there for only playing music. I didn't say that the card is only for gaming, I said the card would probably work better for gaming since it has the chip.

Also, I'm not particularly brand loyal and will admit that I haven't heard either of the cards that you are referencing so I won't comment on them. I just think you're underrating the STX.

Btw, stereophile measured both the STX and ST and remarked that the ST actually measured marginally worse. Also I'm not sure why you're telling me about the k701, I owned a k702 and am quite familiar with the k701 and know how it sounds and reacts.
Quote:
Ive tested couple of ASUS soundcards, ST amongs them (its same as STX, only its PCI not PCIe .. which in fact is tiny bit better .. STX is PCIe converted ST).

I had Forte, now I have Bravura. ST is quite good, but sounds bit on tin can side (probably due OPAMPs, which I dont know if will affect sound via RCA-to-XLR). Forte sounds really good, but Bravura is way better than this. Tough, on other side, my old Audigy 2 ZS with kX drivers sounds great too. :) In fact better and more pleasant to my ears than Forte or ST/X.

Most of soundcards have DAC, but quality is not comparable to regular DAC. They are sometimes close, but if you compare it to some decent DAC, its not that good. Using soundcard as source for amp isnt bad idea and for lots of ppl its very affordable idea, but separated DAC is bit better. You wont believe until you hear I guess.

AKG 701 are very demanding headphones (as much demanding as your ears are) and definetly not forgiving. They can sound really great, if you hit right combo.. or downright tragic, if you dont. Thats why quite a lot of ppl doesnt like them. On opposite site, those who have that "right combo" or just bad hearing, likes them. :) Definetly not begginers headphones as I learned fast.. 

PS: I believe that theres lot of ppl that believe in "brands". Well, ASUS does lots of things.. in fact almost everything you can imagine. But that really doesnt mean that they do that good. Usually, they just know how to sell it, nothing else. Thats why I didnt post any review about those soundcards I tested. Cause ASUS wouldnt be exactly pleased with results and that would probably result in ASUS not liking that certain site.. which would mean no more good things from ASUS for that site .. which lead to editor saying "No." Thats how our world works. :)

[size=medium]

Well if you want to get the "full potential" of the amp, you basically have to buy a different sound card that has balanced out. Those normally are not cheap.
Quote:
That's what i'm talking about- I won't get the full potential 'cause of the adapter...

[/size]

May 23, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #15 of 19
Nebby, will XLR to PL (PL slot is the amped one for headphones in STX) adapter will be good for me? what will it do to sound quality? will it be a way more worse than a soundcard with balanced out? (I mean, how far will it be from full pontencial)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back