How to bulid a perfect portable system with $1000
Apr 6, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #16 of 25
Ultraportable!

iPod Nano 3G 8gb
Custom low-profile LOD (working on design now!)
RSA Tomahawk
LiveWires

Should add up to around 1k.

Apr 6, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iPod 160GB: $300
KSC-75: $10
Gun to scare off anyone making noise to ensure perfect silence: $690 :p

Win.

Apr 6, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #19 of 25
I would probably go for the following based on my preference for very detailed, clear sound in a small, light portable package:

iPod Nano 8GB - $199
LOD - $60-100
RSA Hornet - $370
Etymotic ER4P/S - ~$200

Total: $829 + shipping

The RSA Tomahawk is smaller, but IMO offered such minute improvements you're better of either ampless or just getting the next model up.

This would sound better (in my experience and IMO) but may end up slightly over budget considering potential import duties, impressions and shipping costs.

iPod Shuffle 2GB - $69
ACS T2 - ~$850 for non EU buyers, $1000 for EU buyers.

Total: $919 + shipping

Having either tried or owned nearly all the currently available IEMs (apart from custom ones
tongue.gif
), I've come to the conclusion that one should get the best IEM you can afford, then fit the source around that. Amps and cables should only come into consideration at the very end. Also, more drivers doesn't necessarily mean you will like the sound more than the less well endowed IEMs and hence one could also theorise that price of IEM is not necessarily an accurate indicator of listening enjoyment.

Apr 8, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #21 of 25
I will have to say x2 (or is it 3) on the UE-11.

Just sell something and get them and a basic mp3-player with good SQ.

Reason? Ultra-portable, better fit than universals and the sound is amazing.

When you later feel like upgrading you can start to think about better source and an amp, but you will be VERY satisfied for many months ahead, trust me.

Apr 8, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #22 of 25
iPod (nano or classic I am not sure, I might go for a nano when my photo dies)

a small line out dock cable, a cheap one.

A Stax SR-001 rig.
A set of livewires.
A pair of PX100.

Plus the change in gin.

Apr 8, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #23 of 25
Pacemaker -> IC -> PPAS -> Ortho

If only I had a bagillion dollars to spend on my poartable source...

Mar 26, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #24 of 25
Hate to bring up old thread but I also have $1000 which I saved to buy a new laptop (but received a gift from parents out of no where) and now I have $1300 in total to spend,  on a good portable setup. I have the ER4S for a long time which I have used with various sony walkman, so I really want to use the ER4S for now and spend the money on the DAP and the AMP and leave the headphone/IEM serach for the future to come. What do you guys suggest? thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back