"How to" - Best custom tips for IEMs ever. IMHO. with pics
Dec 12, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #32 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufus_Truthfist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
earwax have you tried again with a different brand?

Yes! I got Mack's SafeSound Soft foam (light green) this time and they do work. (I'm sure many other brands would also work well, just not those lavendar Flents)

I used sound tubes from old Shure foamies. Cut about .25 inch from the wide end of the earplug and used the longer piece. Poked a pilot hole with a pin, then used a tiny philips screwdriver as an awl to make a larger hole. Wrestled the earlug onto the sound tube with the aid of a stiff piece of plastic.

It takes time for them to decompress when inserting, but once they do the sound quality is excellent.

Dec 12, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #33 of 200
Great thread. I subscribed and will certainly look to make these in the near future.

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #34 of 200
I think I will have to do this, as I bought some Olives a while ago, but they were medium and that is too big for my ears and it's causes a burning sensation in my ears after a while. Would any of these be suitable for smaller ears like mine?

Dec 12, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #35 of 200
Thanks Earwax for input! Well, I think "Quiet Time Soft Comfort Ear Plugs | Flents | Walgreens" should be blacklisted then.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #36 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by metllicamilitia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I will have to do this, as I bought some Olives a while ago, but they were medium and that is too big for my ears and it's causes a burning sensation in my ears after a while. Would any of these be suitable for smaller ears like mine?

Yes, I think so. My ears are on the small size, I'm somewhere between small and medium, with silicon sleeves I use small size, some mediums (like the old Shure yellow) also work for me. These Mack earplugs compress very far, but if they're still too large you could look around for "junior" earplugs.

(Large ears might want to use the wide end of the earplug instead of the narrow end or find a larger type of plug)

Dec 12, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #37 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I think so. My ears are on the small size, I'm somewhere between small and medium, with silicon sleeves I use small size, some mediums (like the old Shure yellow) also work for me. These Mack earplugs compress very far, but if they're still too large you could look around for "junior" earplugs.

(Large ears might want to use the wide end of the earplug instead of the narrow end or find a larger type of plug)

Thanks, I will pick up some later today and try it out.

Dec 14, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #38 of 200
I just tried this with the CVS brand as plugged (NPI) earlier in the thread. ... WOW! I cannot believe my ears. I honestly must say that my Shure SE420s sound better than they ever have before. I always thought I was getting a proper fit with the foamies as provided with the SE420s, but I guess not. The foamies were loosing their compressability anyway and I was just about to replace them. But 9.99 for 50 pairs cannot be beat! Thank you so much, Shrisha!

Dec 14, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #39 of 200
they already have this mod: it's called the yellow foamies and they are about $9.99 for a pack of 10. i love my yellow foamies way more than the olives.

Dec 14, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #41 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they already have this mod: it's called the yellow foamies and they are about $9.99 for a pack of 10. i love my yellow foamies way more than the olives.

It would be $22 for 10 pair from earplugstore. Macks earplugs are $4 for 10 pair.

Besides, the yellow foamies are stiffer than these earplugs. The earplugs are more like Comply sleeves in texture. 10 pair of Complys are $34.95.

Dec 15, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #42 of 200
Googling around I came across this. Ear putty Sounds like it might work like custom ear inserts. I don't know how stable it would be against heat, pulling on the earphone wire, and other stuff I'm not thinking of at the moment.

Ear-mart: Physicians' Choice; "Ear Putty"; Ear Plugs

Physicians' Choice® "Ear Putty"™ Soft Silicone Ear Plugs
Effective Protection for the Ear Against Water and Noise

sm_ear_putty.jpg

Dec 15, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #43 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$10 for 30+ pairs vs. $10 for 10 pairs.

Nevermind vs. $10 for 3 pairs.
Shure * - Universal Yellow Foam Sleeves
?

meh i get them for free so i'm not really sure of the exact price. endless supply for me
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back