How similar is too similar?
Mar 10, 2008 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Marl

100+ Head-Fier
I recently saw these two links about Linkin' park and Nickelback, respectively. One channel plays one song, the other channel plays another song. The Linkin' Park one is actually pretty cool:

(Ignore the band bashing)

Linkin' Park:
http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~paymer/...y_the_same.mp3

Nickleback: (website url has a swear in it)
The Web****e :: Nickelback

It raised an interesting question in my mind: how similar is too similar for songs? Did these band commit any fouls against their fan base?

Mar 10, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 6
Woah...very nice find!

Let's be honest here. With all the songs out there it's almost inevitable for something like this to happen. I find nothing wrong with this personally.

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 6
I was expecting that there was a Linkin Park song that sounded exactly like a Nickelback one, but yeah, you'll get a degree of similarity with most bands that dont progress with a sound. If you play 2 chosen Louis Armstrong songs at the same time I dare say you'll find a great degree of similarity, or Frank Sinatra, or Eiffel 65.

Radiohead have pretty much avoided it album to album, and so to an extent have REM. Same for The Crash Test Dummies.

But then look at Mike Oldfield. He's revisited the main introduction theme from Tubular bells in other albums (Platinum, Crises, Tubular Bells II, Songs Of Distant Earth, Tubular Bells 3, Tubular Bells 2003, Music Of The Spheres). Doesn't mean that those other albums are re-hashes, okay maybe 2003 is.

The important difference between Mike Oldfield and Nickelback of course, is that Mike Oldfield isn't a giant pile of steaming camel dung.

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #6 of 6
with nu-metal and pulp rock, there's only so much you can do to stay original. Lets face it, the genres use only a few different chords and layer stereotypical lyrics over them and call it innovation. I'm not shocked or surprised in the least. However, I must say that from time to time, I do enjoy the occasional Linkin Park or Nickelback song. (usually their older material).

edit: on second listen, I notice that the left channel of the Linkin Park songs is slowed down marginally to make it jive with the right: Chester's voice appears a little lower than it is, so they adjusted the speed which adjusted the pitch. Anyone else notice this? Still eerily similar, but kind of shady how they tried to make it seem like the songs have the exact same timing if thats what's going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back