How reliable is UPS tracking?
Mar 11, 2005 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

kunwar

1000+ Head-Fier
as the question states how accurate or reliable is UPS tracking online for packages shipped abroad.
Abyone have much experience? tracking says my package is in transit but lists US as last location, the time given for shipping is 3 days to Aus. Just trying to ensure that I am home to receive it.

Mar 11, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #2 of 14
I find it works pretty well, but it depends on what you need it for. Usually packages are received at the local UPS office on the night before delivery, so if knowing that the package arrives the next day just before you go to bed is sufficient, then it should serve your purposes
smily_headphones1.gif
IMO UPS online tracking is the best I know of.

/U.

Mar 11, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 14
currently my package is listed as in transit but situation hasn't changed since the 9th when it was listed as undergoing customs or other securtity agency checks. What does it mean if no updates happened since then? does it mean that the package is stuck in customs. I thought that might happen here but not in US.

Mar 11, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 14
UPS tracking is pretty accurate, in your case I'd bet that it is has already left and is on an airplane somewhere right now. Do you know how the package was sent? If it was sent UPS International Express 1-3 days is a safe bet if International Expedited 3-5 days. I'm not a big fan of UPS for international shipments though, the brokerage fees they charge can be atrocious sometimes.

Mar 11, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 14
Well item has been shipped from Idealsound and I was informed by paul that duty or anything should not be a problem. Correct me if I am wrong but brokerage gets charged if the item is over $50 and a commercial goods, right? If that's the case then it shouldn't be a problem in my case

Mar 11, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #8 of 14
UPS tracking used to be very reliable for me, but they must be having software problems or something recently, because I've had a couple packages sent within the US get lost in their tracking system. Both packages eventually got delivered, but one ended up showing in their tracking system as having a delivery date but no pickup date! The other took two weeks to be listed in their tracking system, by which time it had already been delivered.

It makes people who you're sending to very uneasy when you give them a UPS tracking number and it doesn't show up in their system for two weeks. I don't know what's going on.

Mar 11, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 14
I remember when I got ety's from Paul he was using DHL worldwide which did a good job and there tracking worked well here in Aus as well. i think I might just have to wait and see when it gets delivered. Probably get a missed delivery slip of some sorts the first time.

Anyone know what the system on brokerage is with UPS

Mar 11, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunwar
currently my package is listed as in transit but situation hasn't changed since the 9th when it was listed as undergoing customs or other securtity agency checks. What does it mean if no updates happened since then? does it mean that the package is stuck in customs. I thought that might happen here but not in US.

Did you click the "Show Details" link (or something similar)? It will show you what cities it arrives at, when it does, when it leaves, etc. On the main page it just says "in transit" until it gets to you. You've got to click on a link to see the more detailed information.

Hmm, I just noticed you're in Australia. Maybe UPS only provides detailed tracking informatino inside the US.

Mar 11, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #11 of 14
i checked there tracking page in Aus and there is no different info there either, I think that as tkam said it probably is in the air and currently coming to aus. it might be that it hasn't been checked in here. Does anyone have info regarding what the UPS brokerage policy/procedure is? as in what value goods attract charges and waht doesn't? Does being listed as a gift and under $50 make a difference.

Kunwar

Mar 11, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Does anyone have info regarding what the UPS brokerage policy/procedure is? as in what value goods attract charges and waht doesn't? Does being listed as a gift and under $50 make a difference.

It's worth phoning UPS in advance to determine what their brokerage charges are. UPS can charge some horrendous fees. If you look at their Canadian fee page:
http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html
you'll see that for a $50 item, they charge $19 in "brokerage fees," *plus* $5.85 if you don't pay them in advance (i.e. before being delivered to you -- and who does that??), *plus* $4.25 for collecting the fees that you didn't pay in advance. So for a $50 item, imported via UPS into Canada, they charge a total of $29.10 in fees. Add on taxes, which Canadians end up paying on the fees as well, and they can easily end up paying $40 or more in fees on a $50 item. It's almost dishonest, really. I can't find UPS Australia's pricing online, but the safe thing is to call them before it's delivered. Canadians who know the "scam" can cut their fees down to just $19 if they're savvy enough to pay in advance. It's probably the same thing in Australia.

Mar 11, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

what happens if the item is labelled as a gift? Does that make any difference?

I think every country is different in that regard but I would thinking marking it as a gift might avoid any duties/taxes however I do not think it would avoid the UPS brokerage fees. I'm not a 100% on this so if anyone knows for sure let us know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back