How often do you swap Headphones in/out?
Jan 8, 2024 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

drummerman1

100+ Head-Fier
Most here have multiple HP's. When and how often do you change?

Personally, I don't change them according to genres but every one to two weeks.

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #2 of 22
There's no competition for my HD250 Linear 1 - it gets all my listening time. Maybe all those headphone switches mean you haven't found your true love yet?

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #3 of 22
I like them all, for different reasons :relaxed:

Jan 8, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 22
Totally depends on my mood and use case. But 3-5 times a week, I would guess.

Jan 8, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 22
I station my headphones in different places, and thus they get head time based on where I want/need to be. The reverse can also happen where what I want to listen to dictates where I'll spend my time.

I currently have 3 main setups: the parlor, the computer desk, and my separate work desk. I will often spend time at all three setups throughout the course of a day, and so I'll listen to several different headphones in the same day. There's a fourth setup available (living room), but I haven't yet deployed a headphone to that space.

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 22
Not that often, actually. Mostly it's just the HD650, it's just about the perfect daily driver. But when I want a special treat I'll bust out the Stax, or whatever else I have lying around.

I've been down the road of using TOTL systems as a daily driver, and frankly being that spoiled and desensitized to good sound isn't a good move. It's better to use something more normal regularly and save the really good stuff for a special occasion, otherwise, it's not special anymore.

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #7 of 22
I swap to my HD-650 now and then, maybe every second week or so, it's like a palate cleanser. Other than that it's completely random, can be a couple of times a week or a month.

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 22
I have 5 headphones within arms-reach of my main listening chair, and I could grab any one of them when I sit down - usually based on the song/album/artist I have in mind as I'm doing the sitting. There's also been plenty of times I've switched things up mid-session, either because the current set isn't scratching the itch, or if I just want to hear a different sonic take on something.

Jan 8, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #9 of 22
Depends on how busy my day is but most of the time I use my Monarch MKII or Edition X V2 in the morning for an hour or so on the KANN Max to wake up to music and get my day started.

Then while I'm working I use my AC or Caldera as my daily drivers. I'll swap out once or twice throughout the week depending on genre. If I want to listen to film score or classical I'll switch to HE1000V2 and if I want Hip-Hop or RnB I'll switch to LCDX.

I typically use my whole roster throughout the week with the exception of 7Hz Timeless which is used exclusively for housework and outside use.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 22
Most here have multiple HP's. When and how often do you change?

Personally, I don't change them according to genres but every one to two weeks.
I change every week unless something big happens. I usually change every Monday'ish.
Big for me last week was receiving a new set on Friday night. :smile:

Jan 8, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #11 of 22
Maybe a couple times a year for me.

I use furutech nano liquid on the connections, it gets rubbed off and needs to be reapplied if I frequently swap the plugs.

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:09 AM Post #12 of 22
Several times a day, I buy about $6k a month in audio gear, so it's a never ending stream. I wish I could equalize but I kept forgetting to change profiles when switching and wouldn't realize it until the next pair sounded weird. Testing stuff for function is cool though, have a Truthear Zero Red on now, next the Sennheiser Momentum 4 needs to be checked out, then replacing the headband on the Sennheiser HD700. I keep a Hifiman HE5xx just as a standby daily driver since they fit well and very well rounded for what listen to. Well literally off to swap to the Sennheisers now. Forgot how great the HD700 sounds with Alcantara original pads, aftermarket ones all ruin it.

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #13 of 22
Jan 9, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #15 of 22
Several times a day, I buy about $6k a month in audio gear, so it's a never ending stream.
$6000 per month is a ludicrous amount to spend on gear. I could maybe understand that with 2 channel equipment but on headphones you'd essentially be able to purchase practically everything worth looking at within the year and the journey is over.

At a certain point in summit-fi everything loses its luster and the satisfaction level evens out and if anything the gear sounds worse not better. The most I've spent in a year was last year and now i'm trying to get rid of things and pair down not add. My journey is essentially over. I understand from a collecting standpoint some people want to collect just for the sake of having more and more but I'd say the vast majority of those individuals aren't using that gear at all and isolate their experience to a handful of prefered items.

I'd also say that once you reach a certain level of price to performance you never look down to lesser items as the disappointment factor is much higher. There are very few items that give the same level of wow factor once someone is at a certain price bracket. Buying gear just for the sake of having lots in my opinion is simply throwing money away in a super niche hobby where diminishing returns hit very hard and the second hand market is highly competitive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back