How near is near-field?
Nov 19, 2008 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

jt4266

New Head-Fier
Looking to purchase speakers to use from my laptop through a DAC and my budget is such that I would look to spend $200 at most on speakers and about $100 on the DAC.

With that budget the A2's caught my eye for being a value however them being considered "near-field" is a concern. These will be in my apartment and most listening will be done within a 10 ft range however there are those times when I will want to try to fill up the entire apartment with music.

What will I lose in the next room from these type speakers and are there any alternatives?

Thanks!

Nov 19, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 2
The music is only going to sound good if you sit in the same room. Unless you mean the apartment is a very open space and your listening area will not be blocked by walls. Nearfield is not a big deal it will still sound good in a room not too large, its a lose term and varies between speakers. But nothing can sound at its best if you listen to it from another wall, your ears need to be in direct relationship with the position of the speakers. Although if you want to get the music that loud you should look at full tower speakers instead, they are not pricey either if you find the right one. The bass will travel through the walls easier, but you will lose clarity in the high end, not the mention angry neighbors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back