How much do you spend on music a year?
Dec 9, 2015 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Kundi

1000+ Head-Fier
I thought i would be streaming everything, but I've gone Bandcamp crazy the past couple of months. Does anyone have a budget? Specific artists or genres that you have to get? Obviously this would fluctuate from person to person, but i was curious.

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 13
There was a time in my life I was spending $150-200 on new vinyls every week... record distros used to love me
tongue.gif

Now I just buy a CD here and there when I find something I have to have. I spend 50-100 a month on physical music now.

I definitely have a mental list of artists that are immediate buys. I even have a few labels I have a hard time not buying releases by. i don't go as wild as i used to though.

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 13
I spent tens of thousands of dollars on my music collection. At the moment, I am not buying anything. Focusing on getting the best audio gear, then will switch back to collecting music again. I'm into nearly all types of music too, so my wish list is endless.

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 13
I gave myself a budget of $50/year and I just stream the rest but when I want to show support or there's a particular artist that I'm biased towards that's typically an immediate buy.

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 13
I shudder to think how much I have spent of my lifetime of music purchases. The first album I purchased myself was Boogie With Canned Heat so that tells you how long I have been buying music. Got rid of all my vinyl in the mid 80's when CD's came out. Currently have about 500 CD's and just started buying vinyl again in the last month. I do spend $20 a month on Tidal for streaming so there is $240 a year in itself. I would estimate vinyl/CD purchases currently to be about $100 a month. 

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 13
When I was in high school I worked at an ice cream stand and blew every paycheck on CDs. At least I'm better about allocating less of that money to music now...

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #8 of 13
$120/year for Spotify 
dt880smile.png

I tried to purchase as much CD's as I could before, but Spotify is just so much cheaper with the large amount of music that I listen to. 

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #11 of 13
I probably spend between $50-250 a month on CD's. It depends on how many albums I find and that I like.

That is nuts! There's something to be said about still owning physical media. The problem I have is that there are so few albums made now that are good from start to finish. I feel like I'm lucky to get more than just a couple good singles from an album. That's why Google Play Music is enough for me to cover everything I may want and it gives me a way to discover new (or new to me) music without taking a chance on buying a CD.

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #12 of 13

I probably spend between $50-250 a month on CD's. It depends on how many albums I find and that I like.

That is nuts! There's something to be said about still owning physical media. The problem I have is that there are so few albums made now that are good from start to finish. I feel like I'm lucky to get more than just a couple good singles from an album. That's why Google Play Music is enough for me to cover everything I may want and it gives me a way to discover new (or new to me) music without taking a chance on buying a CD.

I'm always faced with that dilmemma about whether to buy the album or just stream it. I just wonder if the money ever actually gets to the artist. I know with bandcamp, then do, but other options, i'm not sure.

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #13 of 13
I have Spotify Premium, and buy between 1-5 physical purchases a month usually, but it varies a lot.

I use Spotify as my testing ground, and buy physical to try and make sure the artist gets to eat.  

Depending on the artist and label, I vary between buying on vinyl and CD.  If there is a download code included, especially if it's HQ, I will usually get the vinyl.  If the artist and label is the sort where vinyl will have no benefit, or there is no digital copy offered for free, I'll get the CD.

Anything new that seriously interests me I will buy on release.  I tend to pick up a fair number of reissues each year, and there's usually an artist that particularly interests me and will get splurge purchased.  This year it was John Coltrane and I probably added 30 disks to my collection in a month or two.

My overall financial budget is set not as a result of money but due to listening and absorption.  I hate buying a stack of music and then not listening to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back