How much do cheaper headphones tell you...
Mar 19, 2007 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Vicious Tyrant

100+ Head-Fier
about the same company's more expensive models?

For example, if I bought Grado SR-60s, Senn PX100's, and Ety er6's, would that give me a good sense of what brand I should steer towards if (when) I wanted to upgrade? Or are each model within a brand so different that it would not work that way?

Just curious....

Mar 19, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 17
I guess that all depends on the company really. When you look at a company like Grado, their low end models (SR60, SR80) are a really great representation of their house sound, and are a "gateway drug" to their more expensive models. Sennheiser, on the other hand, they have so many "budget" models it would be hard for someone with out the proper guidance to find a pair that has a good representation of what the top models have to offer. Even though IT IS hard to find a bad Senn
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 17
i found a bad senn - the pxc 250. its horrible without burn in and the noice cannceling turned on

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 17
I believe that when looking at Senn you have to set a limit of how low to go, especially the company has so many OEM level phones that are not really representative of their house sound at. When we look at the PX100, you can immediately identify the similar warmish flavor ala the higher models of HD650, etc. This really means that with in every generation of model design, there is a market mindset of creating the low end and high end based on a similar house sound. This of course excludes the Senn 'stats since they were designed as a completely different line of market niche of ultra high-end (and hence their wholly different sound signature).

Just my .02

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garfing Sharks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess that all depends on the company really. When you look at a company like Grado, their low end models (SR60, SR80) are a really great representation of their house sound, and are a "gateway drug" to their more expensive models. Sennheiser, on the other hand, they have so many "budget" models it would be hard for someone with out the proper guidance to find a pair that has a good representation of what the top models have to offer. Even though IT IS hard to find a bad Senn
wink.gif

Actually there are quite a lot of bad Senns. I'm not going to start naming any though because I don't want to start a war
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #6 of 17
Well to get to the OP again....no, the only budget headphone that sounds like the brand's house sound that I can think of is the SR60. It's not nearly as well refined, but it has a similar tonality as other Grados. AKGs, Senns, Beyers, and ATs don't really sound anything like their more expensive offerings. IMO, to get the Sennheiser house sound, you need to get the HD580. AKG is the k501. AT is the A900, and Beyer is the DT770/80.

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
about the same company's more expensive models?

For example, if I bought Grado SR-60s, Senn PX100's, and Ety er6's, would that give me a good sense of what brand I should steer towards if (when) I wanted to upgrade? Or are each model within a brand so different that it would not work that way?

Just curious....

can't speak of the sr60
but the er6i are very close to my er4p
can't speak of the px100...yet
600smile.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #8 of 17
Sony, AKG, Senn => cheapies tell little

Grado => cheapies tell a good amount (excluding their discontinued cans)

koss => Strange product line-up, in that the KSC75 easily surpasses the more expensive Koss phones.

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony, AKG, Senn => cheapies tell little

Grado => cheapies tell a good amount (excluding their discontinued cans)

koss => Strange product line-up, in that the KSC75 easily surpasses the more expensive Koss phones.

I pretty much agree with this.

Except with Grado some people have trouble placing where the Music Series headphones sit in terms of value for money / quality.

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #12 of 17
Depends a lot on the Company.

Grado, definitely. SR-60 -> SR-225 -> RS-1 keeps the same basic sound signature the whole way, and the SR-125, 325i, and RS-2 aren't a radical change at all (although they are distinctly brighter than the "classic" Grado sound to my ears)

Sennheiser, sort-of-kind-of-not-really-at-all. There are some examples (like the HD515-555-595 line and the HD580-600 line), but they have a wide variety of sounds.

Other than that, who knows.

Mar 19, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #13 of 17
Not a whole lot. Big companies like Senn and Sony have multiple lines of products and they're probably not developed by the same team of engineers. Smaller operations like Grado, like others have pointed out, can have a more distinctive sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #14 of 17
MS1 is less of the MS2i or the MS-Pro. MS2i is more of the MS-1 but less of the MS-Pro and it appears that the MS-Pro is more than MS-1 or MS2i but they all "sound" about the same.

Yeah; the MS-1 is a good example of all of the Music Series.

Ya hear one you've heard them all, they just keep getting better'n better!

Mar 19, 2007 at 11:21 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MS1 is less of the MS2i or the MS-Pro. MS2i is more of the MS-1 but less of the MS-Pro and it appears that the MS-Pro is more than MS-1 or MS2i but they all "sound" about the same.

Yeah; the MS-1 is a good example of all of the Music Series.

Ya hear one you've heard them all, they just keep getting better'n better!

Have you heard the MS-Pro's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back