How much distortion is too much?
Sep 30, 2021 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

wabuu

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! :beyersmile:

As the thread says, can you please help me with my question: "How much distortion is too much?"

You see, I love distorted music (yes) - but I'm starting to get quite worried about my headphones. I definitely do not have the sound-knowledge to be able to determine whether my listening-habits potentially could damage them in the long run, or not. And furthermore, if my hearing could get worse over time from listening to it. It's not like I am listening at extremely loud levels, but the music is made to sound very distorted. I know that distortion caused by loud volumes is by all means quite dangerous, but it can't be that bad if it's already "programmed" into the song? Right? I mean - if you play it at normal volumes? Or am I slowly destroying them? Can you please give me some guidance? :)

Here's an example of what I like to listen to (it's one of my favorites): Album on Bandcamp. (Turn down the volume if you're not used to this kind of music).

Thank you!! :beyersmile:

Sep 30, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 7
Nah, nothing inherently dangerous, either to your headphones or your ears, to listening to distorted sounds so long as they aren't too loud. That said, damaging volume levels are probably much lower than you think, and you will regret it when later in life you get tinnitus like me. :wink:

Sep 30, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 7
All sound is distortion to a point. Be it music, test tones, pink noise or whatever. Sound is sound. If the distortion is part of the recording and at the same vu levels as the rest of the music I don't see how it can harm your equipment. Now possibly something that is extremely louder or maybe extremely low like 10 hertz or something might damage something because it is pushing things beyond their limit physically. This is the kind of distortion you do not want. Clipping your amp or physical distortion from your drivers by bottoming them out or whatever because they were pushed beyond their limit.

As for your ears I would say that is purely going to be volume related. Listening to distortion at low to normal volume levels should not cause any hearing problems. Listening at louder than safe levels is going to damage your hearing regardless of what it is.

Your equipment doesn't know the difference between a violin or simulated distortion basically. I have heard there are some test tones or generated tones that can damage speakers. I am not sure if this is true or not. I'm going to google it and see what comes up.

Sep 30, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 7
Distortion itself is not an issue, it adds to a track when done right!
Producers don`t set out to damage your hearing, but they might choose to challenge it from time to time, usually in small time-frames.

If you are worried about your hearing, try to avoid any experience that makes your ears ring the next day is my suggestion.

Sep 30, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 7
Like the others have said distortion is not a problem just sound level will effect your hearing. My advice is turn the volume down as it will damage your hearing and distortion has nothing to do with it. You only get one set of ears so use them wisely. Sure you can still Rock Out but not for hours at a time more like a few songs and then give your ears a rest .

Oct 1, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #6 of 7
Hi everyone! :beyersmile:

As the thread says, can you please help me with my question: "How much distortion is too much?"

You see, I love distorted music (yes) - but I'm starting to get quite worried about my headphones. I definitely do not have the sound-knowledge to be able to determine whether my listening-habits potentially could damage them in the long run, or not. And furthermore, if my hearing could get worse over time from listening to it. It's not like I am listening at extremely loud levels, but the music is made to sound very distorted. I know that distortion caused by loud volumes is by all means quite dangerous, but it can't be that bad if it's already "programmed" into the song? Right? I mean - if you play it at normal volumes? Or am I slowly destroying them? Can you please give me some guidance? :)

Here's an example of what I like to listen to (it's one of my favorites): Album on Bandcamp. (Turn down the volume if you're not used to this kind of music).

Thank you!! :beyersmile:

A distortion pedal or overdrive on the amp head is not the same kind of distortion on a speaker or headphone amplifier nor does that kind of distortion have any direct link to ear health.

When a distortion pedal distorts a guitar's sound that's what's in the music. You can listen to that same music using an amplifier that has 0.0001% THD+N and it will still sound better compared to an amp with non-euphonic (in which case it's debatable) 1% THD+N. In short, you can listen to Metallica, Dream Theater, Epica, etc etc on a $10,000 speaker and drive it with a $15,000 amp if you want to.

Distortion in playback is just mucking with the recorded music you're listening to. The extreme levels of distortion from a Boss Metal Zone can sound good (no, I don't care how much people hate it, you have to tune the guitar lower - it's when you don't drop that it sounds like a weird fuzz pedal), and you can listen to a recording made with that pedal feeding into a head with that guitarist's favorite tubes using a headphone or speaker amp that has 0.0001% THD+N and it can be enjoyable (so long as you're not looking for euphonic 0.5% THD+N, of which most of it is distortion and nearly no actual noise unless you tap the speaker/headphone amp tubes). By contrast it won't matter if you're listening to an Acoustic Audiophile Voices album or a Slayer album, if you play that through one of those $20 motorcycle amplifiers (no, really) with who knows how much actual THD+N (because you can't trust what the box says, nor does anyone that won't bother to even test these crappy amps) driving some $5 speaker driver that isn't even anywhere near what you can get from Dayton or TangBand even for that price (shipping to the countries where people have loud AF motorcycle audio is prohibitive though), it will suck.

I mean...I listen to Metallica, Epica, Nightwish, Kamelot, Dream Theater, Greyhoundz, Wolfgang, etc, using a DAP with a clean 1.8V output into a Meier Cantate.2 and a 300ohm (so zero issues with impedance for nearly all decent amps) HD600 headphones.

And no, normal distortion implemented by musicians will not damage your hearing nor the drivers either. Your hearing will be damaged by excessive SPL, so it wouldn't matter if it's a Meier Cantate.2 cranked full driving a HiFiMan HE400S (it's higher sensitivity and lower impedance, so it'll go even louder than the HD600; driver distortion is probably lower too since it's a newer planar design) or that crappy Third World Numbnuts On An Underbone Motorcyle With A Loud Sound System, sustained 90dB+++ at your ears (because it can be 90dB at the motorcycle, but if you stay away it can only be 80dB as it drives past; unlike the idiot riding it the entire time listening to some crappy heartbroken rapper) will destroy your ears eventually. If anything, a too clean system will destroy the ears of somebody with better tastes as much as that idiot on the underbone bike will destroy his with a crap system, because your taste will only avoid how distorted the playback is...but on a cleaner system you'll just end up thinking "meh, it's not too loud" based on "it doesn't sound effed up yet." So maybe you won't get to sustained 90dB++, but sustained 85dB all day is still bad.

As for drivers what will destroy them is clipping and overheating. And clipping is far more likely you cranking it up and making your amp clip than whoever you're listening to programming the music to make most systems clip on normal listening with a decent amplification circuit for whatever driver is hooked up to it. Overheating isn't really a thing either...I mean you'd have to run 1000w subwoofers in a car parked under the sun without A/C on to actually bust anything, and chances are subs designed to do that wouldn't even break easily either since they're designed for sustained high SPL performance. That doesn't any other driver will just succumb to heat either because unless you're stupid and/or have enough compacted earwax and are overcompensating for it you're likely to pull back the dial or take a break before you actually get to this point (unless your breaks involve cranking it up now that you're not wearing them).

Oct 1, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #7 of 7
Thank you so much for all your answers!

They've been extremely helpful, and you've even learnt me quite a lot through them!

Couldn't get any happier with the response! Thank you! :dt880smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back