How much difference does a power supply make?
Aug 15, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #16 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
If it makes you feel any better, ABIT was pretty much the only company that was largely unharmed during that failing capacitor scare about a year ago. They admitted that some of their boards were failing because of a few of their models had used some other caps besides Rubycon and replaced them for free. This is at a time when most other mobo companies were hiding their heads in the sand. I'm not sure about their past, but ABIT is at the top of the heap for enthusiasts now and has been for about a year and a half. I am perfectly happy with my ABIT board, not a single problem ever. Obviously I am only one happy case, YMMV. I am only speaking on behalf of my past experiences, reading reviews/forums, and others' opinions.

An interesting tale of Industrial Espionage, Corporate Responsibility, and all around fear and loathing. Seems to have gone away these days.

AFAIK, MSI do use Rubycon capacitors and hasn't been cutting corners. At least with my mainboard (NForce2 ILSR-G). But that was their top of the line mainboard for AthlonXPs a year or two back when the whole Capacitor scare was in full swing (and the choice of caps on the MSI boards lead me to purchase said board, in part).

I'd only suggest you get either Antec or PC Power and Cooling PSUs, in part, because they back up their products with 3 and 5 years warranty respectively. Warranty doesn't speak much for PSUs I realize, but it does say that the companies are willing to back up their products for 3 or 5 years. That says a lot about the company's confidence in the said part, that they build them to last, and they do-I still have an Antec PSU that's at least 7 years old still running as if it were brand spanking new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back