How much better is FiiO E7 than onboard laptop sound cards? Review Added.
Dec 19, 2010 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

kingpage

1000+ Head-Fier
EDIT: First impressions and thoughts about E7 after I have received it, here.

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I have a Creative Aurvana Live (CAL) close-can headphone, and I'm using Dell Inspiron 6000 with a Sigmatel Major C sound card (STAC9751). I really want to know if E7 will deliver a subtantial improvement over my onboard sound card's SQ.

The onboard sound card drives my CAL just fine,  and adding E3 doesn't really change much except more bass (other than more volume) and I feel that the overall sound degrades somehow a little by doing that.

As you can see, I love my CAL very much. But I don't know if throwing $90 down the drain to buy a E7 for a AUD$90 CAL headphone is worth it and will dramatically change the experience.

If you have a laptop, or a laptop you have access to, as a source for comparison. Would you say a big jump in SQ using E7's DAC instead? The most important element of SQ in this case for me is soundstage, then is details or clarity as well as suitability for a slightly V-shape sound of CAL.

The Dell Inspiron 6000 was being sold back in 2005. I'd say any laptop around that time or later could be used as a baseline, since this STAC97 sound card is very basic. I saw somewhere that Creative Sound Blaster Live! also used a STAC97 chipset like Sigmatel Major C, so perhaps Sigmatel Major C isn't that bad really....

Here's a FR graph of CAL.

The red one is Creative Aurvana Live and bluse one is Denon 1000.

I couldn't find much information comparing E7 with laptop sound cards here or elsewhere after many hours. It would be really great if you could do a comparison with your laptop onboard sound card(s), and state what laptop/onboard sound card you have. Thanks you. Sorry for the long post!

Dec 19, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 50
I think you are going to have to dig a little deeper into that piggy bank. Have you checked the FS section for pre-loved iBasso or similar amps ?

Dec 19, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 50

Quote:
I think you are going to have to dig a little deeper into that piggy bank. Have you checked the FS section for pre-loved iBasso or similar amps ?

Oh, I'm not even sure to spend $90 for a $90 headphone. Maybe I should have bought a $200 headphone in the beginning instead, but now it's too late.

I think I'm more interested in a DAC+AMP, such as E7, Icon Mobile, Total Bithead, uDAC....because I don't have a good quality (assuming) source from my laptop, thus this thread.

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 50
But, not only is uDAC more expensive than the E7, it is also not portable, and the SQ of uDAC is more or less similar to that of E7. Some people prefer the uDAC while others prefer E7 over uDAC. The only good thing about the uDAC is it's got a lineout without an addition of $100.

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 50
I have a Fiio E7 and I like it a great deal. I'm not sure it'll be mind-blowing or anything like that but I think it's a very nice sounding DAC for the price, plus there's the added benefit of it performing double duty as a portable amp so that's also something to consider.

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #8 of 50

Quote:
I have a Fiio E7 and I like it a great deal. I'm not sure it'll be mind-blowing or anything like that but I think it's a very nice sounding DAC for the price, plus there's the added benefit of it performing double duty as a portable amp so that's also something to consider.

Could you compare it to an onboard card? I don't suppose you have a CAL?

I really would like to know the synergy of E7 and CAL as well before I take the plunge.

Dec 20, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 50

Quote:
But, not only is uDAC more expensive than the E7, it is also not portable, and the SQ of uDAC is more or less similar to that of E7. Some people prefer the uDAC while others prefer E7 over uDAC. The only good thing about the uDAC is it's got a lineout without an addition of $100.

O-kay - so you listed the uDAC amongst your preferred choices, then completely ruled it out when I suggested it as a viable option. You have decided that its SQ is sufficiently similar to the E7 without having heard either with your own ears and headphones ?

Son, you are on your own.

(Disclaimer: I dont own the uDAC or anything from NuForce). 

Dec 20, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #10 of 50
I bought both at the same time with the intent to keep the one that sounded to best. The udac2 is now gone. They both sound very similar and on par with each other. The udac2 had a little bump in the lower freqencies, but the e7 sounded more refined and a little more neutral. I could easily see someone preferring the udac2. The extra features of the e7 pushed it over the top for me, but just on sound quality, I slightly preferred the e7.

Dec 20, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #11 of 50

Quote:
I bought both at the same time with the intent to keep the one that sounded to best. The udac2 is now gone. They both sound very similar and on par with each other. The udac2 had a little bump in the lower freqencies, but the e7 sounded more refined and a little more neutral. I could easily see someone preferring the udac2. The extra features of the e7 pushed it over the top for me, but just on sound quality, I slightly preferred the e7.

Thanks

Quote:
Quote:

O-kay - so you listed the uDAC amongst your preferred choices, then completely ruled it out when I suggested it as a viable option. You have decided that its SQ is sufficiently similar to the E7 without having heard either with your own ears and headphones ?

Son, you are on your own.

(Disclaimer: I dont own the uDAC or anything from NuForce). 

This thread is about E7 (and sound cards). I was just saying I'm interested in DAC/AMPs like the uDAC, etc. I don't see the more expensive options significantly different in SQ from E7. The next level probably costs at least $200.

Yet, you recommended uDAC without having one? I don't suppose you have E7 either, do you?

Anyone cares to compare E7 with sound cards (onboard or otherwise)

I have also read reviews where a few were underwhelmed by E7 when compared to their sound cards or their DAP (such as Ipod). It's possible that some of them didn't use a LOD.

Dec 20, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #12 of 50

Quote:
Quote:

Could you compare it to an onboard card? I don't suppose you have a CAL?

I really would like to know the synergy of E7 and CAL as well before I take the plunge.

Well, the quality of onboard sound cards varies wildly. The onboard sound on my old laptop was absolutely terrible and the headphone out was filled with static and electronic noise but the sound card on my current laptop is actually rather good and prior to getting the E7, it served me well for months. Now that I have the option, I use the E7 at almost every opportunity but the difference isn't quite as massive as it would've been on my old laptop.

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #13 of 50
I think the Fiio's in general are just kind of meh.  There are better options for slightly more cost and you'll get more for your money = value.  Spending $200 (the "next" level if you want to call it that), will probably not get your more for your extra dollar, but the option is there for those who are willing to put down the extra $80-$100 to get that better 10% or whatnot.

I think you should be looking at things like the uDac, uDac2-HP, Total Airhead, Total BitHead.  Those are all better than the Fiio products.

The E7 is around $80, I believe.  I just bought a uDac2-HP for my Dad at $99.  The uDac2 is $129.  The Total BitHead is $120.  The Total Airhead is $99.  These are all pretty much $20-$40 more, and you're going to get more enjoyment out of them, at least, that's perspective.

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #14 of 50

Quote:
I think you should be looking at things like the uDac, uDac2-HP, Total Airhead, Total BitHead.  Those are all better than the Fiio products.

Is that from personal experience, or just generalisation? I can find people on the Internet who prefer E7 to uDac or Total BitHead.

Quote:
Well, the quality of onboard sound cards varies wildly. The onboard sound on my old laptop was absolutely terrible and the headphone out was filled with static and electronic noise but the sound card on my current laptop is actually rather good and prior to getting the E7, it served me well for months. Now that I have the option, I use the E7 at almost every opportunity but the difference isn't quite as massive as it would've been on my old laptop.

Could you specify what your old laptop's model was (possibly sound card as well if you know)? and what about the new one, what model is it?

My STAC97 sound card doesn't have any static, hiss or electronic noise. It sounds "fine" to me, it powers my CAL better than my Rockboxed Sansa e250, the SQ of my onboard and my Sansa is very similar except the power, if not better than Sansa. The technical perfomance would be nowhere near that of E7 in terms of noise levels, FR and dynamic range. I would think there's more clarity, detail and power with E7 relatively speaking, hence I would like to have a feel for the magnitude by asking fellow Head-Fiers your experience of E7 with different laptop sound cards.

This may be a waste of time, and I might not buy E7 after all this and wait until I can afford better phones depending on what I hear, but it's worth a try, right?

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #15 of 50

Quote:
Quote:

Is that from personal experience, or just generalisation? I can find people on the Internet who prefer E7 to uDac or Total BitHead.

Hey, this is a public forum, and we're all posting opinions.  You seem to have just the right thing to say to everyone.  If you're so sure why are you posting here?  Just buy it already and YOU tell ME if it was worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back