How many types of DT770s are there? Help
Feb 11, 2009 at 7:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Gluegun

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys. Okay, I know there is a pro and a consumer version, and a 250 ohm and an 80 version... is that two total versions or 4? Could someone post a or link me to a comprehensive guide to "stock" versions of the DT770, so I can figure out what is what? Especially if there is a way to tell visually. Thanks!

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #2 of 10
A good guy to ask about this is skylab. Would personally recomend ignoring most of the beyer fanobys. I have a DT770/80 pro after a large amount of looking + a quick chat with skylab.

Okay, so the pros are black and generally have their ohmage written on the outside of the ear cup (the exception to this being the 250 which i believe is unmarked). The consumer edition (or as I like to call them, the 'uglies') are silver/grey. To my knowledge there is no way to tell the difference between the 2003(?) and the 2005 version of these phones except for sound - the 2005 is generally accepted to be the better sounding of the two in this case (with mids that are less recessed). All of these phones have a strong treble presence, and the pros have a large amount of bass. The general consensus is that the 80 ohm is the best option for the pro (FWIR it has better sonic qualities than the 250 and most people ignore the 32 and 600 IME because theyre manufak only).
Theres also the 770M which has a variable resistor dial on the cable (volume control) which is considered not worth the price as a whole.
the 770/80 is qutie fun for me at the moment but some tracks with poorly mastered bass will sound excessively bloaty- but it works great for electronic music (Like Alice in Videoland and Infected Mushroom). It doesnt work so well for chiptunes or later albums from ladytron (where the action happens in the mids and in the case of chiptunes there is already generally a large amount of bass).
The bass boost is quite large (quite startling at first). I've been playing music through mine for over 300 hours and the phone is a lot more comfortable to listen to now (could be ears becoming accustomed to, though).
You can tame the treble on the pro by underamping it/reducing the current available to it quite easily, but this may cause a tempermental phone that sometimes distorts on tracks and may reduce clarity.
The mids are recessed on all the 770s, but the least recessed would be the 770 consumer 2005. Hope this helps at least a little.
beerchug.gif

EDIT: a few small-pics that show how much they contrast in appearance DT770 2005 consumer.
DT770M
DT770 pro This is a 250 ohm version - it says Beyerdynamic)))) on the bar across the cup. On my 80 ohm pros it simply says DT770 PRO [size=xx-small]80 OHM[/size]
EDIT:: and to clarify the general consensus regarding 2003/2005 Consumers, the presentation on the 2005 is more neutral but there isnt a large difference FWIR, probably even less if coupled with a warm amp with prominent mids (probably tube or an SS like the corda arietta) which imo improves the cans quite well (the pros i have, that is).

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #4 of 10
they look like 250 ohm pros to me (i've never seen a 32 ohm or 600 ohm), as they are most definitely the pros and appear to have BEYERDYNAMIC))) written on the side of the cup. Is there a picture with the shell of the cup facing outwards? Otherwise I cant guarantee the ohmage.
edit:: according to Andrew WOT theres a 2005 version of the pro, but I've never heard nor seen it.

Feb 11, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ofassa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they look like 250 ohm pros to me (i've never seen a 32 ohm or 600 ohm), as they are most definitely the pros and appear to have BEYERDYNAMIC))) written on the side of the cup. Is there a picture with the shell of the cup facing outwards? Otherwise I cant guarantee the ohmage.
edit:: according to Andrew WOT theres a 2005 version of the pro, but I've never heard nor seen it.

Ah okay. So, um. Where do I buy the most recent pro 80 version, which sounds like what I want? What place is cheapest? Price is an issue. I would really like used / refurb / cheap, as long as I get the exact right one...

Also, I PMed you with a link to the place I got that picture...

edit: headroom doesnt sell them any more? eh??

Feb 11, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #6 of 10
cant particularly say to be honest. You might want to wait, because the shipping is quite high and theres no refunds and the pads look unloved (imo). There was a powersale of used DT770/80s for 99USD with cheaper shipping a week or two ago and I suspect it is a regular thing.
EDIT: or just ask for a pic of the outside of the cup on either side.

Feb 11, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gluegun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah okay. So, um. Where do I buy the most recent pro 80 version, which sounds like what I want? What place is cheapest? Price is an issue... I know headphone.com will give me good service... but I would really like used / refurb / cheap, as long as I get the exact right one...

Also, I PMed you with a link to the place I got that picture...

The difference between the newer DT770 Pro 80 and older DT770 Pro 80 is only a slightly different lettering on the outside.
According to Larry at Headphile, who mods them, they sound exactly the same. So go for the cheapest Pro 80 ohm you can find.

Feb 11, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ofassa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and to clarify the general consensus regarding 2003/2005 Consumers, the presentation on the 2005 is more neutral but there isnt a large difference FWIR, probably even less if coupled with a warm amp with prominent mids (probably tube or an SS like the corda arietta) which imo improves the cans quite well (the pros i have, that is).

I don't think there's a 2003 consumer edition. Beyer started in 2005 with their so called consumer edition.
The oldest DT770 was 600 ohm, than there was a 250 ohm version, later a 80 ohm besides the 250 ohm. And somewhere they managed to fit in the M as well.
But correct me if I'm wrong.
A good place for information on DT770 models is: http://headphones.warzone.org/

And this: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://headphone.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back