How many times do you need to listen to an album before you're confident enough of your judgement of it?
Sep 24, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #2 of 32
I usually need a good 3 times before I can say it is good or not. But sometimes, depending on if it among your favorite group for example, you will hear the magic the first run through.

My only disappointment this year, for example, is U2 No Line on the Horizon. I listened to it 6-7 times and I still cannot understand how they can release such average music/words for this super group status. I forced myself to listen it a few more times but nothing/nada....

Sep 24, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #4 of 32
Generally the worse albums become more evident earlier on. Some of my favorite albums have been "hard to get" at the beginning, getting better with every listening. I guess that more atypical compositions or arrangements require a period of "brain burn-in".

Soundgarden - Superunknown took me a long time before completely opening up. I remember how the tracks were of varying levels of "hard to get", and "getting" the harder song felt like an achievement. "Fresh tendrils" was the last one to be conquered, the hardest one. The easiest ones were obviously the hits: Spoonman and Black Hole Sun.

But of course this was long before MP3s. Today I'd just listen to the two singles a few times and then delete the whole album. It's all ADHD and insta-satisfaction-crap these days.

What's the "hardest" album you've come by in the last 3 years? Meaning one you listened to until you could hum every single part of the record?

Sep 24, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #5 of 32
For me its usually once. It either sticks or it doesnt. Sometimes I want to like it so give it another shot but that usually confirms it was no good in the first place. An important factor is ''the right time''. It does happen that I find out I wasnt ready for a particular album at the time of listening. Thats the influence of mood but this is quite rare in my case.

Sep 24, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #6 of 32
At least three or four times usually, there are albums i used to hate at a first listen and now love...Nursery Cryme for example...i was quite unimpressed at first, it was even the first Genesis album i heard so i didn't know the band either. Now it's one of my favourite records.

Sep 24, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the "hardest" album you've come by in the last 3 years? Meaning one you listened to until you could hum every single part of the record?

Nothing
tongue.gif
I usually give albums a couple of go's and then off to the next. The exceptions would be the albums that I really like, which end up getting revisited until I get enough and then get revisited every now and then... plus those albums that sound really interesting (not necessarily sound good or bad) that I just have to repeat more than twice.

The albums that I can hum every single part from memory are those from when I was younger and there was no downloading or mp3s.
tongue_smile.gif

I'm not bummed by the insta-satisfaction-crap, really. I've already come to terms with it.

1-2 times for me.

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #8 of 32
I'm going with 3-5 times. For some reason, I'm usually wrong on the first listen, whether it's thumbs up or down. There have been things that spoke to me initially and stuck, though; I remember digging Beck's Mellow Gold and M.I.A.'s Arular instantly, same with jazz like Ornette Coleman's Something Else and Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane.

Sep 24, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #10 of 32
I would say 3-5 times.
Every album is different, so I need some listening sessions to get all into it.

Sep 24, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #12 of 32
I find that many of the albums I like the best especially in jazz take more than one time through. Many of the albums that I liked immediately, I get tired of.

I suspect it is because the ones that take a few times are more complicated, and those I like immediately get boring because they are too simple.

I think this is true for popular music and rock as well. I tell my neice and nephew when they tell me how great some new song is, that they should wait a few years. If they still like it, it probably is a great song. However most of what they like now, is more likely just fun, and will fade away.

Herman's Hermits come to mind. they had several number one hits when I was much younger, but I would not listen to them now. They are my prime example between fun music that sells for a short time vs good music that can stand the test of time.

Sep 24, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #13 of 32
I usually listen 10-20 sec of the begginning of each track - more if there is a slow intro though. I am very easily bored by music. If it doesn't have me at "hello!" then what the heck. There are plenty of music that has.

Sep 24, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #14 of 32
Really depends ... I've had some albums that I "got" immediately, yet others don't for the longest time. An example would be jazz - 20+ years ago, I started listening to jazz with Miles and for half a year or so, I was spinning a compilation that did nothing for me. Then one fine day, I sudden began liking it. It was somewhat like an epiphany.

Sep 24, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #15 of 32
It depends on the album. Sigur Ros' Agaetis Byrjun, for example, after just listening to one song, I knew I had struck a goldmine. However, something like Tool's Aenima or Radiohead's Kid A took me a long, long time to appreciate.
For me, this doesn't really correlate with the quality of the music - Sometimes things just take a while to click. It depends mostly on what mindset I'm in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back