How many pairs of Headphones did you purchase before you found "The one"?
Jan 12, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 38
What headphones have you tried up to now? 

The thing is you will no doubt find 'the one' but I guarantee it won't be your last and the feeling is only temporary. It's on going :D It would be a lot easier if manufacturers stopped blo*dy releasing new headphones every year! 

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 38
I'm probably at my 7th or so headphones overall, and I think I may have recently found "the one" in the Stax SR-009, but I still have improvements to make in my set-up. My sources and cables need to be upgraded pretty extensively, but I think I'm pretty close to where I want to be. I remember the first "good" headphones I bought were the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro's, which I still own today. After that I got the Denon AH-D5000. I thought I was done but then I began to wonder how much better do headphones get, so I went ahead and bought the Sennheiser HD 800s. Then I bought the T1 and LCD-2 to compare them to the HD 800 to find out whether or not I liked them as much as the HD 800s. I ended up selling them and keeping the HD 800s. When I finally decided to join the Stax Mafia, I was hesitant at first, but now I'm very happy that I did.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh and also, great avatars willitblend and LugBug1! Beethoven is my favorite composer, and Hank Hill lives close to me.
tongue.gif

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 38
  I'm probably at my 7th or so headphones overall, and I think I may have recently found "the one" in the Stax SR-009, but I still have improvements to make in my set-up. My sources and cables need to be upgraded pretty extensively, but I think I'm pretty close to where I want to be. I remember the first "good" headphones I bought were the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro's, which I still own today. After that I got the Denon AH-D5000. I thought I was done but then I began to wonder how much better do headphones get, so I went ahead and bought the Sennheiser HD 800s. Then I bought the T1 and LCD-2 to compare them to the HD 800 to find out whether or not I liked them as much as the HD 800s. I ended up selling them and keeping the HD 800s. When I finally decided to join the Stax Mafia, I was hesitant at first, but now I'm very happy that I did.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh and also, great avatars willitblend and LugBug1! Beethoven is my favorite composer, and Hank Hill lives close to me.
tongue.gif

Yup same here with Beethoven :) 

Thats a dream journey for most us you've had. I don't think I'll ever reach top end stax level (not in this life time anyway) and one that can't go much further!

Just been discussing in the HD800 thread about still buying lower end hp's even though you know they aren't going to compete with your current high ender. Since buying the HD800, Ive bought back both the K701 and HD600. Why? I missed them and still really enjoy them. But also it can be a case of wanting change (something new!) to give you a little high/buzz. Problem you have now my friend, is that you have the best hp's money can buy. So.... You may now start some crazily expensive tweaking of the power conditioning/snake residue type.
eek.gif

Best keep buying headphones I say. Reclaim some old faves. They are just like old records you haven't heard heard for a long time  
bigsmile_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 38
It didn't take me long. I went through Dr Dre Beats which were decent, Sony MA900's which were good but not great, the HE-500's which were great but not fun enough for me and now I own the Philips X1's. I'm loving the X1's since it provides the clarity of the MA900's but has great bass performance. It's really the best of both worlds for me. I'm interested in the V-MODA M100 and the Alpha Dogs since I want a pair of closed headphones. I'm also interested in the HE-400i and 560 though....

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 38
That progression seemed odd to me till I realized that I went from garage rock to psychedelic rock to art rock and then to classical.  I still listen to my favorite rock as well as jazz and blues but much more classical than anything else.

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #10 of 38
Well... I went through a few last year.

Started out with the HE-400, pre-ordered it and unfortunately had one of the ones affected by the left channel cutting out. That taste was enough though and went on to try these: LCD2.2, GS1000i, RS1i, Q701, Edition 8, Signature Pro, T5p, T5p fully balanced mod, W3000ANV, HE-6, T1, HD800. Pretty content for right now with the HE-6 being basically it for me, with the HD800 filling in when a different listening mood takes over (T5p stock remains as portable HP).

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #12 of 38
Non gaming headphones, two weeks ago I picked up the MDR1RBT. In the meantime I went to Magnolia 3 times. Spent hours going through everything. Came home with the P7s yesterday, and they are my ones. I love them. Have the Schiit Vali Modi in the works. I'll be set for a while.

Jan 18, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #13 of 38
It never ends... I've been doing this since 2005. I don't ever expect it to end. Have yet to try HD800s or T1s or SR009s, but I'm pretty happy with what I have now. Just bought a pair of Alpha Dogs to try out. I'm going to see if they're good enough for me to put up my Thunderpants for sale.

Jan 18, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #14 of 38
Had the DT-880 250 ohm for about a week during which time I suddenly got very interested in the HE-500.  The Beyer's had a defective pad so I sent them back to Amazon and ordered the HiFiMan's and, unless I win the lottery (which I won't since I don't play), or come into a big inheritance, the HE-500 is end game.  I've had them now about a year and a half and have felt no reason to consider other H/P's because I'm completely satisfied with how they sound in the music genres I listen to.  My primary genre is classical and I really don't get all the dissing the HE-500's  get in doing that genre.  I've heard the HD-800 driven by the Decware Taboo and CSP-2 and found the extremely wide soundstage to be unnatural even for symphonic music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back