how many of you guys cook???
Jan 27, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #3,046 of 3,876
Cheers, I can't stand hard, dry yolks - the stray cats that live in our yard always get a yolky treat whenever I get distracted and ruin my yolks.

However, I didn't boil the marinade well enough to get rid of the sake's alcohol taste before letting the eggs bathe in it. I'm going to try another batch tomorrow and will hopefully do better.

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #3,050 of 3,876
Has anyone slow cooked oxtails?

Oxtail, cooked long enough and with the cooking liquid reduced 'til thick, is a wonderful thing. Cheap, too.

A bit over 5.5 pounds of oxtail, is now a trendy luxury...

I used leeks in place of onions. Browned the wonderful oxtails before braising.

Pulled the meat from the bones, beautiful gelatinous beef. Stored the braising liquid in the fridge overnight, easier to remove the fat. Roasted vegetables and assembled recipe the following day. Divine stew it was!

Ingredients

3 lbs oxtails with separated joints
Salt and pepper
Olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
2 cups stock (chicken or beef)
2 cups of red wine
3 whole cloves garlic, peel still on
One bay leaf
Pinch of thyme
Parsley

2 carrots, cut into 1-inch segments, large pieces also cut lengthwise
2 parsnips (I used parsley root), cut into 1-inch segments, large pieces also cut lengthwise
2 turnips, cut into 1-inch pieces
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

Method

1 - Pat dry oxtails with paper towels. Sprinkle oxtails all over with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium to medium high heat in a 6-quart Dutch oven. Working in batches, and not crowding the pan, sear the oxtails in hot pan on all sides until golden brown. Use tongs to remove oxtails to a plate, setting aside.

2 - Add the chopped onion, carrot, and celery to the pan. Cook for a few minutes until onions are translucent. Add the oxtails back to the pan. Add the whole garlic cloves, the stock and wine. Add bay leaf, thyme, and half a teaspoon of salt. Bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 3 hours, until meat is fork tender.

3 - One hour before the meat is done, heat oven on 350°F. Toss carrots, parsnips, and turnips in olive oil in a roasting pan. Sprinkle well with salt and pepper. Roast vegetables for 1 hour, or until lightly browned and cooked through.

4 - When meat is tender, remove oxtails from the cooking liquid. Either skim the fat off the top with a spoon, use a fat separator to remove the fat, or chill the cooking liquid for several hours so that the fat solidifies, making it easier to remove. If you are making ahead, at this point you can just put the stew in the refrigerator (let come to room temp first), with the oxtails still in it, and let it chill over night. The next day, scrape off the fat, reheat and then remove the meat from the dish.

5 - Pour the cooking liquid through a mesh strainer into a bowl, using a rubber spatula to press against the vegetable solids caught in the strainer. Discard the solids.( I used a manual food mill here,retaining the vegetables.) Return the liquid to the pan and simmer until reduced by half. Then add back in the oxtails, and add the roasted vegetables to the pan. Heat on low heat for half an hour for the flavors to meld. Add some chopped parsley before serving.

Feb 1, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #3,051 of 3,876
Wow, that's expensive! Over here in the UK, although lamb shanks have become too trendy to be cheap any more, oxtail is still very affordable.

My local supermarket lists oxtail at £6 per kg, so your 5.5lb would be about $18 US.

Feb 1, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #3,052 of 3,876
I have some pork fillet (tenderloin) in the slow cooker that has been marinaded in olive oil, smoked paprika, oregano, garlic and ground cumin.

Browned in a frying pan with an oil/butter mix then stuffed in a roasting bag to cook in its own juices.

I bought more meat than I need for tonight's meal, as cold-cuts of pork with English mustard in a sandwich is one of the great treats of life.

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #3,053 of 3,876
Coincidentally, I just prepared a fresh pork leg shank half, not long ago.
Lower part of the rear leg, easy to carve.
Reasonable @ .99/pound, pork is returning to affordability as protein, whereas beef has skyrocketed.

Started it out at 475F for 40 minutes, 375F for 40 minutes, then 350F until well done at 165F internal.
Great cracklins finished on the baking sheet at 350F until crunchy.
You could remove the rind after 2 hours in the oven, if you want to glaze the roast underneath the skin.
Ham bone soup the next day too.

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #3,054 of 3,876
I just got some oxtails for tonight's dinner.
San Francisco is the most expensive. I paid $7.99 a pound.
PalJoey paid in Canadian dollars.

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #3,058 of 3,876
  I'm about to start cooking oxtail, to a recipe pretty similar to the one posted earlier by 5aces. Serving up with mashed potatoes and marrowfat peas. Proper food for a chilly day!

On a whim, I dribbled a little balsamic into the mirepoix while it was frying. Not much at all, but just adding a little more darkness to the aroma.

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #3,060 of 3,876
Not your ordinary breakfast.
The eggs were a little too cooked but tasty anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back