how many of you guys cook???
Dec 4, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #1,203 of 3,876

Quote:
That's not a recipe, it's a description.

I know. Probably a secret 
redface.gif
 *shrugs*

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #1,204 of 3,876
The other is Chicken Scallopini with a rice pilaf and shrimp scampi. You start by butterflying the chicken breasts. Dust them with seasoned flour, I use salt pepper smoked paprika. Pan sear them till golden brown and done. In seperate pan take 1 cup of medium grained rice, 1.5 cups of chicken stock, and small diced mirepoix. Bring to boil then cover. Cook till done on medium to low heat. In a separate skillet preheat pan. Drizzle in olive oil. Toss in shrimp and cook 1/2 way through. Toss in garlic then deglaze pan with white wine. Reduce wine till its almost gone then swirl in cold butter to make your sauce. PLate dish. Done 

I cant give the other recipe as its still being used. But if you can cook risotto add squid ink and season to taste. Pan sear the scallops and squid in butter and garlic, salt and pepper. Take the Fennel and slice the white stalk with a mandoline and saute it with olive oil and seasoning. You can finish the plate with olive oil or truffle oil. 

They are not complicated dishes by any means. Hope this helps.  Btw the dish with the avocodo is stuffed with crab and topped with caviar, red grapefruit,and olive oil and lime zest. The crab has a really nice olive oil, chives, sea salt, lemon juice, and lemon zest. It is time consuming and a pain to make, but looks amazing and tastes great. 

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #1,206 of 3,876

Quote:
The other is Chicken Scallopini with a rice pilaf and shrimp scampi. You start by butterflying the chicken breasts. Dust them with seasoned flour, I use salt pepper smoked paprika. Pan sear them till golden brown and done. In seperate pan take 1 cup of medium grained rice, 1.5 cups of chicken stock, and small diced mirepoix. Bring to boil then cover. Cook till done on medium to low heat. In a separate skillet preheat pan. Drizzle in olive oil. Toss in shrimp and cook 1/2 way through. Toss in garlic then deglaze pan with white wine. Reduce wine till its almost gone then swirl in cold butter to make your sauce. PLate dish. Done 

I cant give the other recipe as its still being used. But if you can cook risotto add squid ink and season to taste. Pan sear the scallops and squid in butter and garlic, salt and pepper. Take the Fennel and slice the white stalk with a mandoline and saute it with olive oil and seasoning. You can finish the plate with olive oil or truffle oil. 

They are not complicated dishes by any means. Hope this helps.  Btw the dish with the avocodo is stuffed with crab and topped with caviar, red grapefruit,and olive oil and lime zest. The crab has a really nice olive oil, chives, sea salt, lemon juice, and lemon zest. It is time consuming and a pain to make, but looks amazing and tastes great. 

Nice and simple indeed, and they both look great. Thanks for sharing!

Dec 6, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #1,207 of 3,876
I recently hosted a potluck and made two dishes: onion soup and perogies in cream. 

The onion soup was made from chicken stock. Roast a chicken however you like, eat the chicken, keep all the bones and drippings and boil it for a few hours or overnight to make a soup stock (you can use a slow cooker). I didn't use much for seasoning; a bit of dark soy sauce, anise seed, bay leaf, that's about it. 

For the rest of the meal...

Perogies in Cream

you will need:
8 small onions
bacon (I used maple bacon)
2kg perogies 
1L table cream
spices/herbs (paprika, pepper, basil, oregano)

Get a couple big pans (I used a large electric skillet) and cook the whole package of bacon. As the bacon is cooking, chop up your onions into thin slices. Remove bacon, lower heat, add onions to the bacon grease. Stir occasionally to prevent burning. Keep cooking the onions until they turn clear/brown. This can take up to an hour depending. 

Maybe halfway through the onions cooking, empty the whole carton of cream into a pot and heat it up on medium. Add half the bacon to the cream, the other half to the soup base. Add some paprika and pepper to the cream. I don't know how much. I figured sprinkled across the surface was enough. Ditto with the basil and oregano. Rumour has it dill works too, but I couldn't find any. 

So anyhow the onions should be ready about now, dump a third into the cream, the other 2/3 into the soup. Now that the skillet is empty, put in your perogies. If there's no grease left, add some oil or butter. Personally I like to pan fry/steam perogies by adding some water into the skillet and putting the lid on for a few minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. By the time you run out of steam, it should all be cooked. Let it pan fry a little more to make the shells less mushy. 

While your perogies are finishing up, mix a teaspoon (maybe half?) of cornstarch into a little bit of water and stir it into the cream. Wait a few minutes and let everything all heat up. Now either add the perogies to the cream or add the cream to the perogies, whichever won't make as much of a mess. 

Turn the heat to low for everything. Let the perogies simmer in cream and the onion soup simmer in, uh, onions. Thirty to sixty minutes later, or sooner if you're impatient, go ahead and gorge yourself. Should be enough to feed 6-8 people. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #1,208 of 3,876
as a almost full experienced cook i have to say that i find nice (maybe head-fier uselessy)post!!!
ph34r.gif

nice to see that people can enjoy cook and music so much around here!!!
nice recipe suggestions too!!

Dec 9, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #1,209 of 3,876
Nice topic indeed.

I must say that I cook daily for my family : spouse and son, mainly because otherwise I wouldn't eat good meals ! :wink:

Personally, I think that music and cuisine are related in enjoying a lifelong discovery of sensations/emotions. And like music, I takes time to appreciate cooking, improve your knowledge, your perception, etc...

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #1,210 of 3,876

Quote:

Personally, I think that music and cuisine are related in enjoying a lifelong discovery of sensations/emotions. And like music, I takes time to appreciate cooking, improve your knowledge, your perception, etc...

Well said. I don't think I could ever have a spouse that didn't know how to cook though. That's pretty much a dealbreaker for me. 
cool.gif

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #1,212 of 3,876
1 apple, diced
1 pear, diced
1 can of peaches
1 cup of cottage cheese

mix liberally (drain the peaches a bit first, unless you like it runny)

Should be enough for two servings at least and makes a nice nutritious snack. 

Optionally served on some eggos. 

Dec 10, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #1,213 of 3,876

Quote:

Perogies in Cream

you will need:
8 small onions
bacon (I used maple bacon)
2kg perogies 
1L table cream
spices/herbs (paprika, pepper, basil, oregano)

Get a couple big pans (I used a large electric skillet) and cook the whole package of bacon. As the bacon is cooking, chop up your onions into thin slices. Remove bacon, lower heat, add onions to the bacon grease. Stir occasionally to prevent burning. Keep cooking the onions until they turn clear/brown. This can take up to an hour depending. 

Maybe halfway through the onions cooking, empty the whole carton of cream into a pot and heat it up on medium. Add half the bacon to the cream, the other half to the soup base. Add some paprika and pepper to the cream. I don't know how much. I figured sprinkled across the surface was enough. Ditto with the basil and oregano. Rumour has it dill works too, but I couldn't find any. 

So anyhow the onions should be ready about now, dump a third into the cream, the other 2/3 into the soup. Now that the skillet is empty, put in your perogies. If there's no grease left, add some oil or butter. Personally I like to pan fry/steam perogies by adding some water into the skillet and putting the lid on for a few minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. By the time you run out of steam, it should all be cooked. Let it pan fry a little more to make the shells less mushy. 

While your perogies are finishing up, mix a teaspoon (maybe half?) of cornstarch into a little bit of water and stir it into the cream. Wait a few minutes and let everything all heat up. Now either add the perogies to the cream or add the cream to the perogies, whichever won't make as much of a mess. 

Turn the heat to low for everything. Let the perogies simmer in cream and the onion soup simmer in, uh, onions. Thirty to sixty minutes later, or sooner if you're impatient, go ahead and gorge yourself. Should be enough to feed 6-8 people. 

@Armaegis, nice post, your receipe put a smile on my face.  Only in Winnipeg would you find this sort of dish.  Tastes great, I know - but just don't expect a long life if you indulge too frequently.
wink_face.gif

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #1,214 of 3,876
Hey great, are you a Winnipegger as well? We have mini-meets somewhat regularly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back