How many have delt with audio hate?
Oct 29, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
My brother said the same thing when I handed him my A500s and played a song for him through my Karma. Though he was playing some Xbox game at the time, he also said that he didn't see what the big deal was and didn't notice any difference in sound...though I'm not sure if I'm one to comment since I also didn't notice much of a difference when I first heard my A500s
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a cousin who thought my PC -> HeadFive -> DT770 rig, playing Prodigy's "Smack My Bitch Up", had no bass. So I asked him what his headphone setup was; he had Sony V600's connected to an iPod, but his trick, he proudly proclaimed, was to apply a bass-boosting EQ through both iTunes and the iPod itself (I've never used iTunes before, so the idea of applying an EQ to the file itself before transfering to a DAP is very odd). I've been disgusted with him ever since.

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
My brother said the same thing when I handed him my A500s and played a song for him through my Karma. Though he was playing some Xbox game at the time, he also said that he didn't see what the big deal was and didn't notice any difference in sound...though I'm not sure if I'm one to comment since I also didn't notice much of a difference when I first heard my A500s
smily_headphones1.gif

WHOOOOOA small world Azure... The people that were giving me the troubles were bemani people. I just checked incase but I noticed your avatar and recalled seeing it on the bemanistyle forums. I use the same name here as I do over there.

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #19 of 39
i get the usual "these where HOW MUCH?!?!"

"you could spend it on better stuff, like drugs"

haha, but all my friends say "they do sound good, but i dont know about that much money"

i usually respond with the "well, you have to have the ear for em, it develops over time"

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by blinx

i usually respond with the "well, you have to have the ear for em, it develops over time"

I think that hits the nail on the head... I don't think it's that we have 'golden ears' as much as non-headphone-nuts haven't invested the time listening in the same ways that we tend to. Anyways good for them, their wallets will be way happier for it.

Oct 29, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by The8BitHero
WHOOOOOA small world Azure... The people that were giving me the troubles were bemani people. I just checked incase but I noticed your avatar and recalled seeing it on the bemanistyle forums. I use the same name here as I do over there.

I've talked to some members of the Bemani community about my headphone hobby and desire for high quality rips of songs and I've run into similar problems. I try to explain to them that a 128/192kbps mp3 won't sound the same for me with my rig as it does to them with their rigs, but they still insist that it's pointless to rip high quality files and continue to make fun. The whole thing started when I asked if anybody could provide me with higher quality rips of songs (People usually do 128/192kbps rips of songs over there...).

Note: This was a the VJ Army forums several months back. I'm not really into Bemani anymore and don't visit VJA/BMS anymore (unless I have to sell something).

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #22 of 39
Meh, I can't tell a difference between 192 rips and lossless, so all my music is compressed. Actually I can sometimes barely tell a difference, but I have no idea which one is better, so it really doesn't matter, I'll save my hard disk space. If you think your lossless sounds a lot better, then all the power to you, but for 99% of the people out there, such a thing doesn't matter. And since most can't tell a difference, they will question your beliefs, amplify, and appear violent; like a mob.

Regarding the equalization, we have to realize that music is a very, very personal thing. Some people like excessive amounts of bass, that's what keeps them happy; let them live.

I've found that keeping quiet about the whole 'being an audiophile' thing (which I don't claim anymore anyway) is the best way to go about it. And over the years off being in audio, I've noticed a lot of things are absolutely ridiculous, and make no sense (I'll leave that up to you to figure that out); so it's no surprise to me that other's may think ill of 'audiophiles'.

Oct 29, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by chych

Regarding the equalization, we have to realize that music is a very, very personal thing. Some people like excessive amounts of bass, that's what keeps them happy; let them live.

I've found that keeping quiet about the whole 'being an audiophile' thing (which I don't claim anymore anyway) is the best way to go about it. And over the years off being in audio, I've noticed a lot of things are absolutely ridiculous, and make no sense (I'll leave that up to you to figure that out); so it's no surprise to me that other's may think ill of 'audiophiles'.

Yup that just about sums it up.
The only reason I have some FLACs is to preserve the actual CD itself incase I want to burn and turn to another form or machine. Archival more than anything.

Oct 29, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #24 of 39
I had one weirdo even look me up on MSN just to tell me OMG UR SO LAME!! 800 on earphones, stoopid biotch, I should kill u. Die Die Die.

As I was blocking this person there were doing the waist of hd space dance. But the sad thing is, this person must have lurked at head-fi, picked me out, and gone through the trouble of looking me up on MSN, just for that.

If I'd had time I guess I could have had a little fun with them, but the spam was getting annoying. One of the reasons I don't bother much with my MSN account anymore.

Oct 31, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #26 of 39
Personally, I am quite happy with my 320 kb/s rips and I'll be sticking with them. Of course, I have what a large group of people would call an "inferior rig" and they would be right. But hey, to each his own, right?

Oct 31, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #27 of 39
It's like how people don't really care when they see grammar mistakes. Some people care, others don't. Whenever my brothers and I hear someone make a mistake, we knowingly look at each other.

Oct 31, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by chych
Meh, I can't tell a difference between 192 rips and lossless, so all my music is compressed.

But then why do you even need those expensive headphones?

Oct 31, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #29 of 39
i just don't mention anything even vaguely related to it.

some people at uni have commented on my portable setup - i've had discussions with them about it and even let them listen to it. of course i usually don't tell them the price though. i use to, and got a lot of
blink.gif
s

Oct 31, 2006 at 2:15 PM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeresist
But then why do you even need those expensive headphones?

Cause even compressed music improves noticeably with good equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back