How many DACs do you own?
Nov 25, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #46 of 74
6 I think: Wavelength Brick, Wavelength Crimson, Schiit Gumby, Schiit Yggy, Chord Mojo and an RME Fireface UCX that I use mostly Asha DAC nowadays.

Nov 26, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #47 of 74
One. Mojo Audio Mystique EVO (pro level).

Nov 26, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #49 of 74
I have a D30 at work, D10 for work from home. My RME is my main, using it now. I have a Modi Multibit OG that is gathering dust.

Maybe in 10 years the OG Multibit will be a collectors item.

Nov 26, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #50 of 74
After using dozen of dacs I decide to prefer Ifi dac’s bit perfect sound sign. But not with their gto fw lol . I am not a very nick picking person but I know I hate sleepy or harsh or wall of sound or over-punchy sounding dacs that is what I experienced with some Schiit’s dacs. I also prefer using asio on foobar app than other configs or other player apps. Have heard many good things about recent ess chip so I may find a cheap model to try but am not very tempting at this period of time

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #52 of 74
Too many.

DAC's are everywhere. Tv, mediabox, streamer, mobile phone, dongle DAC's, BT amps, DAP, DMP, I can't even count them. But I prefer my R2R DAC's. I think 4 modified old Philips TDA1543 chip DAC's (NOS, filterless) and my main dac the Ares II. That's the one I try to lead all signals to. And that's the one I will probably upgrade to a higher model later on.

Nov 28, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #53 of 74
10 dacs/integrated streamer and dac

Linn Akurate DS/3 Katalyst
Linn Klimax DS mk2
Emm Labs DAC2xv2
Sonic Frontier SFD-1 mkii
Chord Mojo
Cary Xciter DAC
ifi dac
AQ Dragonfly
Slim Devices Squeezebox 3
Slim Devices Touch
Recently added NewOntech Dac07 and Jeff Rowland Aeris

I think I need to get rid of a few DACs :face_palm:

Dec 23, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #54 of 74
I too am afflicted w/ a DAC addiction…
DACS; Exogal Comet+, RME-ADI-2 FS (AKM4493), Line Magnetic LM-32 (tube buffer w/Quad 9028pro chips), Lampizator Baltic-3, Berkeley Alpha Reference, Sonnet Pasithea R2R

Dec 23, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #55 of 74
1. Sonnet Pasithea
2. Schiit Yaggdrasil A2
3. Metrum Onyx
4. Schiit BF2 OG card
5. Drop Airist R2R with LPS
6. Chord Mojo OG
7. AQ Dragonfly v1.2

I have similar kind of DACs as I never intended to have so many DACs but just didn’t sell them off as I moved up the chain. Too lazy I suppose and now a days I only listen to Sonnet Pasithea and nothing else. I should sell all other and get a DAC of different flavour to compliment Pasithea.
Market is pretty bad these days though to sell off gears.

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #56 of 74
1. Sonnet Pasithea
2. Schiit Yaggdrasil A2
3. Metrum Onyx
4. Schiit BF2 OG card
5. Drop Airist R2R with LPS
6. Chord Mojo OG
7. AQ Dragonfly v1.2

I have similar kind of DACs as I never intended to have so many DACs but just didn’t sell them off as I moved up the chain. Too lazy I suppose and now a days I only listen to Sonnet Pasithea and nothing else. I should sell all other and get a DAC of different flavour to compliment Pasithea.
Market is pretty bad these days though to sell off gears.
Can you please make short impressions on each of them ? Tks

Dec 24, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #57 of 74
Can you please make short impressions on each of them ? Tks
Open the link and look for “M0N’s Shitt List”, it is a list that has been compiled w/ over 2 years of dedicated updates, impressions, comparisons and synergy recommendations by one of our more knowledgeable, experienced and kindest forum members over at Sonus Apparatus. It is ONLY his opinions and impressions but i have realized over the years that he has an aptitude beyond your average user for capturing the nuances of sound character and doing a damned great job putting into words and terms we can understand character impressions of particular pieces of equipment. This is simply a document of his opinions and a reference document most of us over at the forum look to when coming up with synergy combo’s for some of our gear.

This is not a tier list or a professional reference review document and should NEVER be treated or discussed as such. Be respectful of your comments and keep nasty or negative opinions to yourself if you choose to view the resource, we do NOT take kindly to non-members coming in and **** on his efforts, it was a labor of love and for that we genuinely respect and appreciate the hundreds of hours put into the effort. It captures impressions of many common pieces of equipment known to us all, from budget branded to pretty damned expensive. Happy listening to you always:beerchug:

https://www.sonusapparatus.com/

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #58 of 74
Five, and typing this response has me questioning how this happened exactly.

Dec 29, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #59 of 74
Several of the DACs in use through the years:

-Integrated DAC of a Yamaha RX-V685 (probably using Burr-Brown PCM5101?)

-Atoll DAC100 Signature (Burr-Brown PCM1796 with discrete transistor outputs)

-Audiophonics USB DAC (based on AK4495SEQ with LME49720HA output)

-DIY project (based on dual AK4490 DAC chips with dual NE5534 outputs)

-Lite DAC-AH NOS DAC (great implementation of 8 x Phillips TDA1453 with modded passive IV output and PSU)

-GZLOZONE "R2R AD1865 NOS Tube DAC" (very nice AD1865 based DAC, with a true tube output)

-DIY project (NOS DAC using the venerable Phillips TDA1541 with a maximalist, all-tube approach)

The last one is what i'm using at the moment.

TDA1541A in NOS mode with passive (resistor) I/V output using Soviet military surplus 6Н8С (direct replacement for 6SN7G), single-ended.
The power supply for the digital/analog parts has been improved plus other modifications.

Power supply is a regulated tube-rectified configuration, using the 6X5GT and ECL82.
Filaments are AC-lit, floating over 60VDC.

20231229_225709.jpg
TDA1541 DAC.jpg

The NOS DACs all sound nicer.
With a full-bodied lively presentation, great sound stage and smooth higher octaves.

But folks, to my ears at least, there is nothing like these old Phillips TDA1541 chips.
AD1865 and TDA1543 (in parallel) come close, but the TDA1541A beats them in musicality.

TDA1541 done correctly, coupled with a proper output stage (tubes preferably, but also sounds good with opamps), i think it can sound sublime.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #60 of 74
New List:

12 dacs/integrated streamer and dac 🤦‍♂️

Linn Akurate DS/3 Katalyst
Linn Akurate DS/3 Katalyst (#2)
Playback Designs Merlot
Emm Labs DAC2xv2
NewOntech Dac 07
Sonic Frontier SFD-1 mkii
Chord Mojo
Cary Xciter DAC